A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

How to replace center brake light

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 05:37 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to replace center brake light

My center brake light is out and every time I start the car, the first time I touch the brakes I get a loud beep and the information center says "Brake Light". It has been driving me crazy.

The dealership said it would be $250+ to replace. I was looking around at the light and it doesn't seem too difficult to replace, but it made me nervous prying the headliner down too much and didn't want to break anything. I was wondering if this is an easy fix... I have been searching high and low and can't find any good instructions of how to replace it.

Thanks in advance!

2005 Audi A6 4.2
Old 07-23-2013, 06:18 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I'd like to know how to remove that rectangular ceiling panel covering the third brake light assembly. I've been trying to pry it off but it doesn't want to budge. I was on the verge of ripping it off and breaking the damn thing. The brake light cover is sagging and at night floods red light over the window causing a glare and making it hard to see out of the back.
Old 07-25-2013, 10:06 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Anyone?
Old 07-25-2013, 10:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Skogstdm
My center brake light is out and every time I start the car, the first time I touch the brakes I get a loud beep and the information center says "Brake Light". It has been driving me crazy.

The dealership said it would be $250+ to replace. I was looking around at the light and it doesn't seem too difficult to replace, but it made me nervous prying the headliner down too much and didn't want to break anything. I was wondering if this is an easy fix... I have been searching high and low and can't find any good instructions of how to replace it.

Thanks in advance!

2005 Audi A6 4.2
Ask here - http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/f...orum-2005-2010
Old 07-26-2013, 06:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

I had the tinting shop tint behind the third brake light section on my last c6 and they just poped it off. I did not see how they did it but it took them less than a minute to take out.
Old 07-28-2013, 08:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Skogstdm
... it doesn't seem too difficult to replace, but it made me nervous prying the headliner down too much and didn't want to break anything. I was wondering if this is an easy fix...
if it was me i would def not use the dealer for this
i would just buy a replacement light off ebay
from LKQ or someone like them..
i would set a side 1 hour but i dont even think u will need that
and dont do this when its 110 out side

i removed my headliner a few times on my 05 4.2
never needed to fully remove it but once i even took the rear seat grip handles to lower panel enough to check out sunroof and drains

1. make sure your hands r very clean or wear clean some nitrile gloves.. headliner easily shows dirt

2. the center rear piece that u r talking about has no screws but it does have clips..

3. trim tools r helpful but not essential for this piece.. they r cheap at harbor freight

4. the technique is to pull straight down and to see where the resistance is.. it is at those points that the clips are

5. wedge a tool/screwdriver/finger as close to the clips as u can and force it off

6. headliner is pretty strong ..yes if u want to intentionally break it then it will break it but i really doubt u will break it accidentally

7. when removing the liner this is the beginning piece that needs to be removed.. u might not need to remove more..

8 check to see how the light is attached is held in place and if it has a wired plug... i dont think its held by screws and i think the light is a pull straight down removal ...there is a tiny chance that u may have to also remove the rear pillar liners if the replacement light comes with a plug and the plug may plug somewhere at one of the pillars... then u would need some torx head bit screwdriver...again still not difficult

Last edited by MainlandMig; 07-28-2013 at 08:34 PM.