A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011
Old 09-06-2016, 12:47 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A6 (C6) Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

How to Retrofit MMI Navigation to MMI Enabled Audi

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 03:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rs4tech
the nav unit is not plug and play...you have to install the nav antenna and splice into the fiber optic network lines...it is not extreemly hard but if you are going to do it youself buy the factory install kit and try to find a used nav disc unit...after install you will have to take it to the dealer to disable component protection and then have it all adapted and coded properly
Just to clarify, are you saying that 08+ models are NOT prewired and therefore not plug and play? If Kevingary is correct, it sounds like it would be plug and playon 08+ cars.
Old 02-21-2010, 05:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ripvandyke
Hello folks,
I have been a long time VW Owner. I recently bought my first Audi, a 2008 A6 3.2L Quattro.

I am still getting a hang of the options it came with I got it from a Private party who had no Idea.

I know the car has the NAV button and when I hit it it says, 'No Navigation installed'

I would like to have Navigation Installed. The Dealership in my area seems to be quite curt with the Answers. Just kept saying it will cost me $2500.

I looked at some of the other posts. Could not find anything related to this. I apologize in advance if this is a repeat post.

I have two questions :

1) Can I retrofit the car to have the Factory Navigation. Any wiring information will be helpful as well.
2) Is there anywhere I can get the OEM Navigation other than the dealership

I would appreciate any help in the matter.

Thanks,
Vivek
You need following items:
Navigation DVD player for MMI
Navigation MMI disc version 5 and up
MOST bus optical kit
Electrical connector/wire kit
One antenna cable (6 ft is long enough)
Most likely you don't need to buy the navigation antenna (the shark fin) but if you don't see the antenna connector in the C-pillar, you need to get an actual shark fin navigation antenna.

After installation, you need to code the J533 module and may need to do some software update. This is not a plug-n-play process so if you really want to do it and want to save some money, just buy stuff from ebay, install them then let dealer finishes the rest.
Old 02-21-2010, 06:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

THE SHARKS FIN IS NOT THE NAV ANTENNA!!! the actuall nav antenna is glued to a metal plate just above the rear window, so yes, you need a nav antenna hence the reason it is included in the install kit, and yes 08+ vehicles require the kit as well, i just installed one in an 09 yesterday
Old 02-21-2010, 06:56 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by rs4tech
THE SHARKS FIN IS NOT THE NAV ANTENNA!!! the actuall nav antenna is glued to a metal plate just above the rear window, so yes, you need a nav antenna hence the reason it is included in the install kit, and yes 08+ vehicles require the kit as well, i just installed one in an 09 yesterday
How long does this take a trained person like you? What do you think a reasonable dealer-installed price would be?
Old 02-21-2010, 07:43 PM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 517 Likes on 452 Posts

FWIW my '08 had the nav antenna.
Old 02-21-2010, 07:54 PM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Default My NAV retrofit experience.

I did mine on an '08. It seems all the wiring was in place...including the NAV antenna. While it is by no means "plug-and-play" it is not amazingly difficult either. To save time I'll highlight just the piece that I felt was challenging.

Removing panels and running the wires. Perhaps I felt it was a pain because I'm not a big fan of Audi's panel removal process of pull until it almost breaks before it pops off...and sometimes it does break.

Anyway, everything else was not really difficult..as others have mentioned already you need the optical cable to get it in the loop and the power wiring harness. Then you re-code and you are good to go. I'd venture to say if you have installed a head-unit in a car before you could handle this.

My biggest problem came from using a poor quality NAV DVD. I opted to buy a brand new one from Navtech when they made an update and all has been well.
Old 02-22-2010, 02:57 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default eBay Item Update..

I spoke to the eBay seller for the item. Seemed like a nice fellow out of MA. He gave me information similar to what gk1 gave us here.

The 08's do come pre-wired with the NAV Antenna and the Antenna is located near the C pillar.

The Navigation module however sits in the boot and hence, the need for 1.5 m i.e 6 ft worth of fibre optic cabling to get to that plug in point near the C-Pillar.

He said he be will sending detail instructions about the install procedure with Images along with the product. This is OEM by the way.
Old 02-22-2010, 05:31 PM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Sorry if I wasn't clear, but the nav antenna itself was not located in the c-pillar...just the connection for it was. The factory gps nav antenna is for sure in the shark fin. Also it is a standard metal antenna cable. The optical cables for the install are basically just a small loop and you don't run them out of the trunk nook.

For information puposes: Directly from Bentley procedure for removing/installing the sharkfin. "Ensure Radio, Telephone, Navigation System Antenna R52 is installed level on the roof".

What the retrofit sellers are telling you is that if you do not have the sharkfin at all or the wiring is not there a small magnetic "standard" GPS antenna can be used.
Old 02-24-2010, 12:18 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Pulled the trigger on the Ebay Retro Kit

Folks, Just to give you an update. I pulled the trigger on the Retro Fit Kit that comes with the instructions. I will post the instructions once I receive the post and will post photos of the install on the car as well.

----
VC
Old 02-24-2010, 01:25 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Awesome, thank you for being my guinea pig! I'll be right behind you if it goes well.

Quick Reply: How to Retrofit MMI Navigation to MMI Enabled Audi