A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Hurray for Colorado! They're enforcing "Keep Right" laws

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2005, 07:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hurray for Colorado! They're enforcing "Keep Right" laws

The Colorado State Patrol is enforcing a 6 month old "keep right except to pass" law. Washington State has signs on the freeways indicating similar laws, but I've never heard of anyone being cited for this.

Left-lane hogs are a major peeve for me. Hence my login: moveout, as in "move out of my way!!!".<ul><li><a href="http://motortrend.com/features/news/112_news29/">Motor Trend's article on Colorado's Left-Lane Laws</a></li></ul>
Old 01-19-2005, 10:36 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I don't know why this isn't enforced more.

or why we don't spend more time and money on driver's education.

though i don't know the actual economics of it, it seems obvious that this would all pay a dividend in fewer accidents, fewer productivity hours lost to traffic, and lower road construction costs.
Old 01-20-2005, 04:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Bingo

Educate the drivers better. I get so annoyed at people who still in the left lane (or middle lane for that matter) when the right lane(s) are open. I have to say that Europeans are better at moving over. I also get annoyed when you flash someone to move over and they just stay there. FL is one of the worst states for this. I have now gotten used to over taking on the right,which is illegal in Europe since it is considered dangerous to allow passing on both sides. I was surprised how easy the driving test is here in the US, way toooooo easy.

Just my tuppencehapenny worth
Old 01-20-2005, 02:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

FL Passed the same law last year...I have yet to see it enforced tho.
Old 01-20-2005, 02:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Re: Hurray for Colorado! They're enforcing "Keep Right" laws

I suggest and hope all drivers read "American Autobahn"- the best explanation and most convincing argument I have ever read that explains the bumper sticker:

Left side: passing side

Right side: suicide

One trip to Germany and one long drive on the autobahn there will teach drivers how it CAN be done.

Frankly, if we would NOT allow people to pass us on the right, we would go far toward making our freeways safer. Of course the left lane bandits probably won't get "the memo."

If anyone ever passes me on the right, generally speaking, I feel I have not been paying attention. However, I also feel that those who pass on the right rather than attempt to "inform" me via a blink of their left turn signal while they are behine me, need to "work within the philosophy" of virtually NEVER passing on the right.

Heck, if you have a cell phone, report the person in front of you who will not respond to the blink of your left turn signal. A friend of mine is an Ohio State trooper and he claims that "passing on the right" is a traffic offense as is driving with one's "parking lights" (only) on.

He also says that he rarely tickets someone for either offense, but will stop the driver to inform them to pass on the left and drive with either no lights or headlights -- but NOT parking lights.

Who knows what the solution is, education would be my answer, but maybe it will take enforcement to get the message across.

Drive it like you live!
Old 01-21-2005, 04:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

ROFL: I had no idea. Wish they would enforce it though
Old 01-21-2005, 06:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Agreed...it's much more expensive and difficult to get a driver's license in Germany

And that makes a difference.

A former German colleague of mine based in Munich put it so brilliantly clearly to me a few years ago: "In America, people feel like it's a right to have a driver's license while in Germany, it's treated as a privilege".

That difference in philosophy and mindset alone makes all the difference in the world.

I do miss driving on the Autobahn...was such a refreshing change from driving in North America when it came to safety, courtest, and (of course!) speed.
Old 01-21-2005, 07:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Same thing in IL

<ul><li><a href="http://www.isp.state.il.us/media/pressdetails.cfm?ID=161">http://www.isp.state.il.us/media/pressdetails.cfm?ID=161</a</li></ul>
Old 01-21-2005, 09:22 AM

Default WA State passed similar laws in 1985 / 1986

But I've yet to see or hear of anyone pulled over for it. Just guessing, but it's probably easier to bust speeders; radar can't detect left lane hogs.

Wait--they don't need radar to detect left lane hogs! Just pull over anyone that doesn't need to be in the left lane. Here in Washington I'd think it would be easier than busting speeders.

There's an old saying: Speed doesn't kill, stopping too fast does. I wish law enforcement would focus on right-of-way issues (illegal lane change, failure to yield, aggressive driving, etc.) rather than speeding. The laws are there, they just need to be enforced. My $.02.<ul><li><a href="http://www.leg.wa.gov/RCW/index.cfm?section=46.61.100&amp;fuseaction=section ">Washington State Left-Lane Law</a></li></ul>