A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

I test drove the M35x today. I think that car beats out the A6 for me!

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2005, 12:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is lane departure that worthwhile?

isn't that what we have little bumps between lanes for?
Old 03-06-2005, 12:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default And speaking of, backup camera??

Once the novelty has worn off, how often will it really be useful? I mean I have city-parked for many years and haven't ever needed one. I know it's a 'cool feature' but if you were brutally honest, do you actually value this as an important feature or do you see it more of a gadget?
Old 03-06-2005, 01:57 PM

Default I didn't know Audi was a prestige brand?

I didn't know Audi was a prestige brand?

A6 - No , Maybe the A8

The camera on the M35 is not a gimmick.

M35 has more room in the front and back than the A6.

The steering is more natural than the A6. Closer to the 530i. Particularly the M35 sport.

M35 Sport ride much more compliant and less harsh than A6 Sport.

Interior/exterior superior on A6 to both M35 and 530i.

Interior dash of M35 with shelf funky. A6 with MMI superior.

M35 shelf less intrusive with aluminum trim of M35 sport over rosewood.

M35 Sport $4,000 less comparably equipped.

I still have not ruled out the A6.

Still considering 2006 530i out in 30 days with 255 HP and much better mpg than the A6 and M35. I need to get over eclectic interior and iDrive.
Old 03-06-2005, 02:38 PM

Default Let me tell you, when you have kids and you are backing out of your garage,

it can be a very handy thing not just looking for kids but toys, dogs, anything. We have it on our other cars and we do use it all of the time.
Old 03-06-2005, 02:40 PM

I am curious as to how the 530xi will drive, But that idrive worries me.
Old 03-06-2005, 05:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default The backup camera is definitely NOT a toy. Saved a friend of mine from backing over their kid.

The problem with it is that, if you're looking at the backup camera, you're not looking over your shoulder at the sides of the car. They should really position the backup camera such that you can see it while LOOKING behind you.
Old 03-06-2005, 06:53 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default You still haven't commented on how they drive back to back........

Unless you sit in traffic all day, at some point you've got to drive. If you don't actually <i>drive</i> with any zest on a regular basis, then the Infiniti may be a great choice for you. People value different things. Different strokes for different folks.

Me, I consider the basic goodness of the platform underneath, and then add the icing (options and goodies not related to driving) if desired. All those toys will need servicing, break or go out of style.

BTW, Audi isn't even on the prestige radar of most prestige conscious drivers, so I wouldn't call it that. In fact some people buy it just because it <i>isn't</i> considered a "prestige" brand.
Old 03-06-2005, 07:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default April got it on the nose.

One of the great benefits of driving an Audi is that it's not pretentious. I believe Ronin is the only movie I've ever seen where an Audi was presented as exceptionally hip, and even then, it was because of its attributes, not the brand name.

My guess is that most folks who love Audi prefer the restaurant that has incredible food, but isn't visited by movie stars. In fact, the fewer who know about it, the better. They have pets they love and adore, but not because it's "in" this year to have one, or stylish to carry it when you go shopping. I would imagine that most Audi'ers find clothes with someone's brand name blazoned across the front to be in bad taste (in fact, I believe someone complained recently about Infiniti embossing their brand logo into the front seats).

If Audi sold their cars with the option to debadge, I believe the option would be taken quite often. For that matter, if Audi's were the stuff of music videos (like SUV's and even Bentley's), I wouldn't want one.

Look at the M35 in terms of grace and elegance, and it pales in comparison to the A6...and it REALLY looks dreadful compared to the C5 A6.
Old 03-06-2005, 09:14 PM

Default I hope you come back and give us an update once the honeymoon is over...

I doubt you'll be disappointed. Of course, we'd all like to hear that you really wished you'd bought an A6.
Old 03-07-2005, 04:02 AM

Default Ah, I have not BOUGHT anything yet. I was only saying this new M35x seems like a better alternative

to me than buying the A6.

Quick Reply: I test drove the M35x today. I think that car beats out the A6 for me!