A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

I want to soften up my ride- too much bounce & road clatter

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2005, 05:04 PM
Audiworld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I want to soften up my ride- too much bounce & road clatter

If I change my tires from my current 17"/45's to 50's will it soften the ride and give more rim protection from potholes? If I do the change what all season tires are recommended?
Old 01-31-2005, 06:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Potholes ??

Jefman, I am not sure where you are writing us from but potholes? in the road?

I would like to be the first to attempt to welcome you to the year 2005. There are no more potholes in US roads and highways. We have been building roads for hundreds of years and have master the art of producing roads that do not develop potholes.

As for your wanting to change tire size, this is an archaic method for a problem that doesnt exist anymore. Stick to the beautiful 17s you have now and enjoy our super smooth roads which are free of potholes.

</sarcasim>
Old 01-31-2005, 06:59 PM
Audiworld Senior Member

Default Re: Potholes ??

you must be talking about the "Boys" who win the bids to build our roads. The west side highway in NYC took twenty years to complete and then 9/11 happened. Then they managed to cart away hundreds of thousands of lbs of WTC steel before the city woke up to they were doing.

I did a little research and I think the way to go is to buy Perelli P zero nero M+s. The reviews look good and should help address the noise and some of the bounce issues. What do you think?

BTW at first you did have me going.
Old 01-31-2005, 07:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default My 2 Cents....

I dont think the Pirellis come in a 17" 50 series tire. Also the Neros are a Ultra High Performance tire and thus I think you will find with that stiffer sidewall you will notice a harsher ride with more bounce and clatter.

In my opinion the Pirelli P6 Four Seasons in the 245/45HR17 line would be a good match for the A6 and would yeild a much more quiet ride than the Michies you have on their now.

One thing to keep in mind is that your suspension is setup for a specific tire size and load rating. Changing the tire load rating or size can change the handling of the car greatly.

Or you could put on your tin foiled pointed hat and live in my world where there are no potholes and the all road trips are on roads with perfectly banked curves so you can apex the entire way.
Old 01-31-2005, 07:39 PM
Audiworld Senior Member

Default BTW the car came with p 6 - 4 seasons

they are good in snow and the handling feels good but I'm not happy on rough roads and I've got lots of that. Please send me one of those hats but don't wear yours in thunderstorms.
Old 02-01-2005, 10:28 AM

Default I don't see a downside to the P Zero Nero M+S

Compared to the P6 Four Seasons, the P Zero Nero M+S is far superior. Based on the ratings at TireRack I'm guessing that you wouldn't need to change the diameter to see a big improvement.

In fact, many TireRack reviewers have AWD (Subaru, Mitsu Evo, Audi) and highly recommend the tire.<ul><li><a href="http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=AR4&amp;url=%2Fsurvey%2FSurveyComments.jsp %3FadditionalComments%3Dy%26amp%3BtireMake%3DPirel li%26amp%3BtireModel%3DPZero%2BNero%2BM%2526S%26am p%3BcommentStatus%3DP">TireRack P Zero Nero M+S Reviews</a>
Old 02-01-2005, 03:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: I want to soften up my ride- too much bounce & road clatter

I have the 18s, and have driven other new A6s with 17s, and in my opinion, Audi blew it on the new (non-sport) suspension. It's just too stiff. BMW seems to have struck a better balance of sport vs comfort. I think the new set up transmits too much of the road through to the interior of the car. Don't get me wrong, I love the new car, and it is a huge overall improvement over the C5.
As for tires, I think the only way to get a better ride is to drop down to 16s and get the softest possible tire. The extra height of the sidewall should absorb more of the impact of potholes and poor road conditions.
Old 02-01-2005, 05:22 PM
Audiworld Senior Member

Default spoke to tire rack,

They said contrary to what is written on the internet (reviews and all) the P zero nero M+S would be just as noisey and harsh as the four seasons I have right now. They recommended yokohama avs db s2's. At this point I don't know what to believe. I'm leasing the car so it makes sense to keep the rims and find better tires.
Old 02-01-2005, 09:00 PM

Default I noticed that TireRack didn't have the P Zero Nero M+S in stock

At least in your size (245/45 R17). Available 2/11.

Maybe they simply want to sell you a tire now...<ul><li><a href="http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=AR4&amp;url=%2Ftires%2FSizes.jsp%3Fmake%3D Pirelli%26amp%3Bmodel%3DPZero%2BNero%2BM%2526S">Ti re Rack P Zero Nero M+S Pricing &amp; Sizing</a></li></ul>
Old 02-01-2005, 09:41 PM

Default Just found this: Search AudiWorld forum "Wheel and Tire"

I know, I know--Newbie!

Quick Reply: I want to soften up my ride- too much bounce & road clatter