A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Infiniti strikes again (M35X driving impressions)

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2005, 08:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Infiniti strikes again (M35X driving impressions)

I was finally able to drive the new Infiniti M35X today and I can't help but remember the day I drove the G35. Just like the G35 the new M was a big letdown apart from its performance. It seems the engine it it's savior but there is more to a car than the powertrain. Power-wise the Infiniti six is very smooth and quite powerful, but the chassis will need some work.

The car has an unsettled nervous feeling that does not inspire confidence, which is a shame because that engine is in need of a befitting chassis. The car also feels a lot larger than it is while driving, it may be the oddly arranged dash that creates this feeling but it does not shrink around you the way a Mercedes, Audi or BMW does. Once moving there is considerable body lean and the overall feel is softer than a relatives E500 that I recently drove. The car is by no means yacht-like the way a cadillac is but it does not feel like a european sport sedan the which it is supposed to compete with. The car I drove had the standard suspension (can't get the sport package w/AWD) and 18 inch wheels. Maybe the sport package transforms the car but I can;t see how anyone, even the dullards at motor trend can rate this car above the A6 or the 530.

The one positive about the Infiniti was that it did not look cheap on the inside. I don't think the interior is as well thought out as the Audi or the BMW for that matter, but it definately screams quality and not cheap knock off like the G35 does. The navigation controls seem oddly placed and the screen looked like it was far away from the driver. I have 20/10 in both eyes so it was not a problem for me to read but some people may have difficulty. The interior also seemed to be more confining than the C6 both in the front and the back. Head room especially seemed more generous in the A6.

In the end Infiniti has made a nice car with a decent interior and great engine. But for those that like the feel of a european car it will not be a true competitor.
Old 03-08-2005, 03:47 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Default To be fair, you would have to compare to an A6 with stock wheels and non sport suspension.

There is a huge tuner market for Infiniti.

If body roll is your only issue then a bigger rear sway and maybe new coilovers will do the trick.

My TL Type S is tighter now than my A4 with sport suspension was.
Old 03-08-2005, 07:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I am and the M had 18's

It was not just the body roll and lean it was the whole feel of the car. The driving position felt awkward for me and the car did not like sharp movements such as abrubt lane changes. Stock for stock I was impressed with the A6 and disappointed withe the M35X.
Old 03-09-2005, 06:37 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Good to know. I'm going to test both soon.
Old 03-09-2005, 07:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default I have a funny M45 test drive story (kind of long)

I have an S-Line A6 4.2 on order but I was shopping the FX45. The sales guy insisted I test drive the new M45 Sport. I have to admit the technology is fabulous and the car looked really sharp. But I told him I live in a rural area (of Michigan) and needed AWD (not available in the M45). He told me the Vehicle Dynamic Control (VDC) adn a good set of snow tires (very common up here) and the M would take me anywhere. He drove me to an abandoned parking lot that had about 6 inches of unplowed snow. As he pulled up the inclined drive he paused and the M hung up. We sat there smoking tires for about 2 minutes. He asked me to get out and help. Yeah, right. He got out, I covered him with spray as I "rocked" the car and we eventually got out. He got back in the car, snow covering his glasses and said "now, if we would have had snow tires . . . " Great recovery,
Old 03-09-2005, 07:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Re: I have a funny M45 test drive story (kind of long)
Old 03-09-2005, 08:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

You forgot the rim shot at the end of the story.
Old 03-09-2005, 01:18 PM

Default It's a friggin Nissan

And it is butt ugly... UHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH, how can anyone even consider one?
Old 03-10-2005, 04:32 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Default And your A6 isn't a VW?

I would suspect that as opposed to your nose heavy FWD based A6, the RWD based M would perform better.
Old 03-10-2005, 05:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Dont be so sure about the M's performance

It is fast in a straight line for sure but that chassis and that engine have a recipe for spin city. Also, the C6 A6 has noting in common with the VW's apart from a few switches, the new Passat is transverse design now and the days of blurred distinction between VW and Audi are quickly dissappearing.

Quick Reply: Infiniti strikes again (M35X driving impressions)