A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Interior vibration in Drive Mode while idling

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 02:34 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HI everybody and a Happy New Year!

A couple of days ago on my dashboard computer appeared a "wonderful" message which says: GEARBOX MALFUNCTION, YOU CAN CONTINUE DRIVING!

I put the tester on the car and the error is the following:

005953 CLUTCH PRESSURE ADAPTATION
P1741 Limit Reached Intermittent

At this moment definitely my problem is from the faulty gearbox. Is not from engine mounts, not from dual mass flywheel etc.

Does Anybody encountered this kind of issue before? I don't know how to fix this error.

The car has 4 years(2009) and 85.000 miles. I'll try to contact my dealer and also Audi in Germany to fix this issue on warranty if they could. Otherwise, changing the gearbox by myself is way over by budget.Also It doesn't seems right that gearbox fail at this age.I'm really really disappointed and desperate...

When I bought the car, gearbox failure was my concern, but the dealer assured me that this is very reliable and will not fail.Now I'm facing this situation....

Any advice would be highly appreciated!

Cheers
Old 01-05-2014, 04:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 924 Likes on 756 Posts

You are the first person I recall ever getting that message on this forum. Did you change the tranny fluid as you said you were going to do in an earlier post?

Last edited by KevinGary; 01-05-2014 at 06:05 AM.
Old 01-05-2014, 06:25 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Yes , I changed the gearbox oil (7.5 liters) earlier, let's say about 2 weeks before this error. Anyhow, the service guys were saying in advance that changing the oil will not improve the actual situation. They noticed too before changing it, the interior vibration and also the jerk that happen when the Reverse gear is selected from Neutral. They said that might be the Mechatronic Unit of the gearbox.
Old 01-05-2014, 06:28 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Today I also made a comparison with a friend that has a similar car and his gear seems flawless than mine. Is shifting much easier and without any jerk...
Old 01-06-2014, 11:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you check the front snub mount? It's just a piece of hard rubber and when it splits you won't see anything with VAG-COM, but there will be vibration when in D and foot on brake because the fluid in the tranny still transfers some force from the engine even with the torque converter disengaged.
Old 01-17-2014, 09:17 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Hi Guys,

First of all, sorry for such a big post, but I need your advice.
Really funny and said story in the same time, that was happened to me. Check this out!

Long story short, I bought my car from Germany, from an official dealer. I took it at 114.000km.

Before I bought it, my first questions to the dealer: Did this car had some repairs at Gearbox or major engine intervention?. He assured me : “NOT AT ALL, only the rear bumper was repainted. So, I was fine with that.
Being my first automatic gearbox, I didn’t know what to expect from the gearbox. I made a test drive before, but very short. So, after 2 days since I return home in Romania, I start to notice a small interior vibration while I was at red light in Drive Mode. So I put the car in Neutral and the car stopped vibrating. I thought that this is normal for a transmission like this, being a minor vibration. After some time, while I was driving with a friend who is very familiar with automatics , he saw me put in Neutral the gearbox waiting at a red light. I explained why I did that(to avoid vibrating) and he told me: THAT’S NOT RIGHT AT ALL! THE GEARBOX HAS SOMETHING WRONG!

I replaced the oil at 138.000km. The vibration continued and after a while, a had that really nice message on my board computer: Gearbox Malfunction! You can continue driving.

I started to discuss with the dealer, I told him that it’s not normal, for a car that has 139.000km the gearbox to fail. After a week of e-mails he told me, I can come with my car back in Germany, have it inspected and they will try to fix it on warranty with only one condition! If they discover that I didn’t follow the service manual maintenance, Audi will not cover any costs.

When I heard this, seems to be fair, but I remember that my gearbox oil was replaced at 138.000km, not 120.000 like in the manual so I was really disappointed that I forgot this.

Next morning I had a schedule on a local Audi dealer from home(Romania) to have another computer diagnosis over my gearbox.

And now the funny part begin!
Looking carefully in the car history he told me: It’s strange, you know that this is THE SECOND GEARBOX ON YOUR CAR RIGHT??? I was shocked to hear this. Yes, this second one, was fully replaced at 106.000km, so just before I bought my car. An now, after just 35.000km, it’s broken again…
The good news, is technically, this new gearbox has a warranty, but I was shocked to find out this, even though the dealer assured me before that was no repair work or hard maintenance to the gearbox.

My question to you all is, What can I do now?
- Repair the Gearbox (Which I don’t want, considering it has 35.000km)
- Replace the Gearbox( they will not replace it, they said that will try to repair it)
- Replace My car(loosing a lot of money)

I feel that I was mugged or tricked by the dealer…What are my solutions?
Old 01-18-2014, 12:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks like the only viable option is to let the dealer fix the tranny.

I would suggest that you request detailed accounting of what they did and replaced, and that they give you the broken parts they replaced to confirm that they actually did what they said they did.

Good luck.
Old 01-18-2014, 03:20 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I'm not comfortable to REPAIR a gearbox that has 35.000km( aprox 21.000 miles).

In my opinion this should be replaced with a new one, not repaired.

I'm also thinking to contact a couple of specialized magazines form Germany to told them what happened.I really feel I was tricked in.
Old 03-04-2018, 06:37 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Same issue

Originally Posted by adrian825
Yes , I changed the gearbox oil (7.5 liters) earlier, let's say about 2 weeks before this error. Anyhow, the service guys were saying in advance that changing the oil will not improve the actual situation. They noticed too before changing it, the interior vibration and also the jerk that happen when the Reverse gear is selected from Neutral. They said that might be the Mechatronic Unit of the gearbox.
hey man I know this is a couple years too late but I am having the same issue with my 2013 s5. Do you remember what this issue ended up being, Hopefully you can help me out thanks
Old 03-04-2018, 07:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 924 Likes on 756 Posts

Originally Posted by gcastellano22

hey man I know this is a couple years too late but I am having the same issue with my 2013 s5. Do you remember what this issue ended up being, Hopefully you can help me out thanks
Adrian has not logged onto the forum in 3 years!

Quick Reply: Interior vibration in Drive Mode while idling