A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011
Old 08-05-2016, 09:38 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A4 (B7) Lighting Guides
Print Wikipost

Intermittant Rear Brake/Turn Signal Light Outage

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2016, 07:17 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Led faulty

Originally Posted by schalliol
I'm having a strange problem, and I wonder if anyone can help me figure out how to fix it.

About 3x in the last week as I've been driving I'd hear a beep and a message shows up on the small dash display indicating that the driver's side rear turn signal light has a problem. Immediately followed by the same beep and a message indicating that there's a brake light problem. As soon as I see this message, if I turn on the left turn signal, I get the rapid blinking and the rear signal does not operate. Further, the brake light does not operate.

Now, when I turn off the car, and then turn it on again, the error has cleared and everything operates properly. All lights seem to match those on the other side. I cannot replicate the problem on command. It happened today, and a couple of times during the week last week with limited regular driving. However, I drove 330 miles yesterday and it didn't show up once then.

Does anyone have an idea what's going on or how to resolve the situation? Thanks!
Hi if you have led on the top of your brake lites then I can tell you exactly what the problem is. Moisture got into the lite. If a drop of water enters the lite then it's garbage and you will have to replace the whole lite. I just went through this problem. I took it to audi and they said if a little bit of moisture enters inside it basically ruins the whole lite. I wasn't about to pay 1400 after tax for 2 lites so I ordered aftermarket for less then half price. Mind you I had to do a little splice from one wire to others but it works great now. If your looking for lites that actually fit your car I got them from vipmotoZ
Old 02-24-2016, 07:21 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Robert Botrie
Hi if you have led on the top of your brake lites then I can tell you exactly what the problem is. Moisture got into the lite. If a drop of water enters the lite then it's garbage and you will have to replace the whole lite. I just went through this problem. I took it to audi and they said if a little bit of moisture enters inside it basically ruins the whole lite. I wasn't about to pay 1400 after tax for 2 lites so I ordered aftermarket for less then half price. Mind you I had to do a little splice from one wire to others but it works great now. If your looking for lites that actually fit your car I got them from vipmotoZ

These are the aftermarket lites for my audi 2005 a6 c6<br/>
Old 02-24-2016, 09:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Interesting. Can you take a pic of the whole car from the rear?
Old 02-24-2016, 09:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Here's what I did

I had moisture entering rear light. Removed it from car. Stuck it inside trunk for couple days (or just bring inside house) to thoroughly DRY OUT. Then get some Liquid Electrical Tape and brush over each seam in back - one side at a time to allow it to dry before flipping to next side.
This has worked so far for me.
And a $4-5 (potential) fix.
Old 02-24-2016, 09:58 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by schalliol
Interesting. Can you take a pic of the whole car from the rear?

The car is in storage. Very tight spot. They look better then originals
Old 02-24-2016, 10:00 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by robdrives
The car is in storage. Very tight spot. They look better then originals
Old 02-24-2016, 10:02 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Old 02-24-2016, 10:02 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Best I can do.
Old 02-24-2016, 11:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks. A unique look that does fit more closely with C7 :-) Welcome to the forum. Perhaps put your location in your profile so we can help you better in the future.
Old 05-18-2016, 08:25 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I was certain that replacing the bulb carriers would fix the intermittent issue, but now that they're replaced the driver's side brake and turn signals still do not work, but they now have a quick flash when first activated.

I suspect it is the wiring in the outside plastic part of the taillight. Can this be purchased individual from the assembly or should I return the assemblies and buy new. Everything else is checked, very clean.

Quick Reply: Intermittant Rear Brake/Turn Signal Light Outage