A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011
Old 08-05-2016, 09:38 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A4 (B7) Lighting Guides
Print Wikipost

Intermittant Rear Brake/Turn Signal Light Outage

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2016, 05:14 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jc_io
I was certain that replacing the bulb carriers would fix the intermittent issue, but now that they're replaced the driver's side brake and turn signals still do not work, but they now have a quick flash when first activated.

I suspect it is the wiring in the outside plastic part of the taillight. Can this be purchased individual from the assembly or should I return the assemblies and buy new. Everything else is checked, very clean.
The turn/break lights are the LEDs in the plexiglass part of the tail light and these are on a circuit board sealed into this section. If you apply a 12V DC supply, they will light up and you can see which ones are out. Chances are it will appear like a bank of 4 LEDs are out. These are wired in series so it might actually be just one LED that is shot even though all four are out simply because the way they are wired (series). The one LED begin out was enough for my car to perceive the LED system as open. I have a technician who drilled a large enough hole over into the plastic over the four LEDs in question, spotted the bad one and jumped it out using a 10 Ohm flame-proof resistor. That did the trick.

That said, I have since had my car go through body work (looks brand new) and have replaced the entire assembly. Retail I think is $350 but I bought it through the guy who did the body work and it was only $200 (cost).
Old 05-23-2016, 05:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If the LEDs don't work properly, short of cracking it open (it's sealed) and checking each bulb, I'd just buy a new assembly (comes with the bulb carrier and bulbs). In terms of the cost of parts in this car, they're not too bad.
Old 11-08-2016, 04:54 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Solved in 3 minutes

Ok guys, I've searched this thread long and far and realized you all gave up wayyyyy to early when you tried to do fix this problem. It's so simple, no wonder the dealer is charging you a ridiculous amount of money.

If your LED turn signals are not working, it's not because of the condensation build up, but rather the contact points inside the tail light housing have stopped making direct contact.

All your "$3" bulbs work just fine, the 3 constant light ones, 1 reverse light, and the 1 Amber "fog" light which to any other Joe looks like a turn signal.

Undo the bolt that holds your tail light in its spot, disconnect the wiring, and pull apart the light housing (4 clips). Inside you'll see the 5 bulbs on the white tray, but on the red housing side, you'll see two metal contact points which serve to power your LED turn signal. These points need to be in contact with the metal contacts on the white tray which have since been too far depressed in and the spring s took is not working the way it should. Simply pull up on the circular metal contacts a bit so that when you build the housing back together, they all make contacts. Put it all back together, wire it up, take the key out of the ignition to clear all faults, and then reinsert and turn 3/4 and VOILA. Just saved your *** a $350 headache.

Cheers
Old 11-08-2016, 05:02 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Kas284
Ok guys, I've searched this thread long and far and realized you all gave up wayyyyy to early when you tried to do fix this problem. It's so simple, no wonder the dealer is charging you a ridiculous amount of money.

If your LED turn signals are not working, it's not because of the condensation build up, but rather the contact points inside the tail light housing have stopped making direct contact.

All your "$3" bulbs work just fine, the 3 constant light ones, 1 reverse light, and the 1 Amber "fog" light which to any other Joe looks like a turn signal.

Undo the bolt that holds your tail light in its spot, disconnect the wiring, and pull apart the light housing (4 clips). Inside you'll see the 5 bulbs on the white tray, but on the red housing side, you'll see two metal contact points which serve to power your LED turn signal. These points need to be in contact with the metal contacts on the white tray which have since been too far depressed in and the spring s took is not working the way it should. Simply pull up on the circular metal contacts a bit so that when you build the housing back together, they all make contacts. Put it all back together, wire it up, take the key out of the ignition to clear all faults, and then reinsert and turn 3/4 and VOILA. Just saved your *** a $350 headache.

Cheers

2008 A6 C6 brake light housing

Contact points that need to kiss metal circuit board on white tray

Two curricular metal contacts which light the LEDs

Spring under contact, just pull up on tab a bit to make connection again. Piece back together and done
Old 11-08-2016, 05:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 918 Likes on 750 Posts

If you read the entire thread this fix was discussed back in 2009.
Old 11-08-2016, 10:21 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Your fix is not really a fix. It's a temporary bandaid. Those fingers will move again ... maybe not in the timeframe that you keep the car but they will move as they did before. I soldered mine good and solid. No matter what those contacts do, I will have a solid connection. Thanks for sharing though
Old 11-09-2016, 07:40 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by turbo97se
Your fix is not really a fix. It's a temporary bandaid. Those fingers will move again ... maybe not in the timeframe that you keep the car but they will move as they did before. I soldered mine good and solid. No matter what those contacts do, I will have a solid connection. Thanks for sharing though

Haha you're not wrong but it sure as hell beats emptying my pocket... Until I spend like $4 on new springs!
Old 11-09-2016, 10:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 399 Likes on 332 Posts

Guys don't waste your time and just change the whole assembly with an updated one.
Check this: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-...tures-2908260/
Old 11-09-2016, 10:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

This. Totally with you here. The cost is little relatively.
Old 10-24-2017, 04:19 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Turn signals

I have a 2006 Audi A6 and one minute my turn signals work then the next the don't! I've changed bulbs sprayed electrical contact cleaner and still failure! Then the next minute my right turn signal works and the left doesn't and vice versa! Does anyone have a clue what the problem could be?

Quick Reply: Intermittant Rear Brake/Turn Signal Light Outage