A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011
Old 08-05-2016, 09:38 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A4 (B7) Lighting Guides
Print Wikipost

Intermittant Rear Brake/Turn Signal Light Outage

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2019, 09:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by kelisko
It seems SAE is a world wide organization that sets automotive standards. This must probably mean that the tail light is SAE compliant which means it's been tested and approved by the SAE Organization. Check this out: What is SAE/DOT

I would assume the tail lights both LED or non-LED "made by Audi standards" are SAE compliant. An aftermarket tail light might not be SAE compliant. So I would subtract both values first to see what happens. I would then add the SAE compliance value if there are issues.
Will do. I was reading some since the prior post, and I am guessing it might have to do with the orange light operating as a daytime running light?

Last edited by jasontaylor7; 10-24-2019 at 09:29 AM.
Old 10-24-2019, 10:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 399 Likes on 332 Posts

Originally Posted by jasontaylor7
Will do. I was reading some since the prior post, and I am guessing it might have to do with the orange light operating as a daytime running light?
I am not sure to be honest.
Old 10-24-2019, 06:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by kelisko
I am not sure to be honest.
All right. My scanner software, vcp 5.x, refused to allow a single subtraction of the "+0131072 = Highline (LED Rear Lights)" by itself. It said it was an out of range coding. It did, however, allow it when +0004096 = SAE Rear Lights (PR-A8U) was also subtracted. So PR-A8U seems like goes with LED lights, perhaps referring to the 5 SAE bulbs you can pick up at any auto store.

All lights now work perfectly, and the other LED one doesn't ever turn on. Given that non-led light lenses are going for $50 on ebay, this means that the cheapest way to solve the problem of this thread is to purchase the non-led ebay lights and as well as a ~$47 "bulb holder". I got this one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bapmic-Rear...72.m2749.l2649 .

In hindsight, this car's tail lights are ideal on European cars. For the wealthy US market they tried to jazz it up with LED tail lights, but then there's no orange and frankly it's not as safe IMO.

Net cost of my "downgrade to Europe" repair is only $97, way cheaper than other options. The light functions are not perfectly symmetric since I only did the driver's side, but it's a better use of the orange light, and if it bothers you too much get the right side replaced as well.

One bizarre note: it may take like 15 minutes after you change your coding before you can really clear the bad light codes!!!

My inspection deadline is tomorrow, so many thanks to Kelisko since I was would have just subtracted 131072 and still have been in fail country now.

Last edited by jasontaylor7; 10-24-2019 at 06:41 PM.
The following users liked this post:
kelisko (10-25-2019)
Old 02-09-2020, 07:21 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake / Running / Turn signal lights

Same issue... I removed the cluster inside the tail light housing and pulled all of the bulbs.. There was a lot of corrosion on these connections.. I took a small file and cleaned up each of the bulb sockets and any other areas that seemed to have a lot of corrosion.. After putting everything back together I did have running lights and that was it.. no brake lights or turn signals.. However in the trunk of the car there is a fuse box I pulled the fuses for the left and right rear lights and they were not blown however they were a bit corroded so I replaced them and I now do have all working lights.. I believe my issue was a combination of the two.. You can buy new housing assemblies to fix the issue quickly however they are costly so if you have the time and can be patient then use some small files and clean the corrosion around you bulb holders!

hope this helps

Originally Posted by schalliol
I'm having a strange problem, and I wonder if anyone can help me figure out how to fix it.

About 3x in the last week as I've been driving I'd hear a beep and a message shows up on the small dash display indicating that the driver's side rear turn signal light has a problem. Immediately followed by the same beep and a message indicating that there's a brake light problem. As soon as I see this message, if I turn on the left turn signal, I get the rapid blinking and the rear signal does not operate. Further, the brake light does not operate.

Now, when I turn off the car, and then turn it on again, the error has cleared and everything operates properly. All lights seem to match those on the other side. I cannot replicate the problem on command. It happened today, and a couple of times during the week last week with limited regular driving. However, I drove 330 miles yesterday and it didn't show up once then.

Does anyone have an idea what's going on or how to resolve the situation? Thanks!
Old 10-09-2020, 02:56 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Folks, I too am working through a tail light issue.
Both the left and right tail lights.
all lights on both sides, are sending warnings.
so I get a tail, turn, brake, and reverse warning.
note: lights work but they send warnings.
Issue started when I removed both lights to do some body work.
Info, I have a 2010 a6 with 140k miles.
After reading all the posts I am focused on the ground.
terminal #1.
from left wiring harness connector, terminal 1 to body ground = .5 ohms
my meters internal resistance is .2.
now to the left tail light module, wire connector socket.
a good examination of the spade connector of terminal #1 (ground) you could see a black dimple on both sides of the spade connector.
these connectors index in the same spot when they are dimpled like these.
I cleaned all the spade connectors individually with denatured alcohol.
the #1 spade was dirtier than the rest.
could I have used Deox-it and shoved things back together Sure but, I scraped And sanded the #1 spade till the surface was flat, cleaned with denatured alcohol and put things back together. I have dielectric in the socket.
surely the coating on the connectors have dissolved through the silver.
in my electrical experience the connectors need to be examined closely.
lately the Left light warning will happen right away.
took a little test drive and so far so good.
buy a new tail light?- no way.
This is just my hypothesis and time will tell.
new to the site but the information in sites like these are Invaluable.
if i can repay the help I have received from sites like these, I will gladly.
thank you all.
gary
Old 10-10-2020, 04:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by schalliol
Ugh, any ideas if I could replace it myself to save money if that's the case? It seems like there's some short that if it could be solved wouldn't present a problem again. What do I know though (not much).
find a part number and search for used one on ebay. I am sure there are plenty.
just get the OEM one. I am sure you can find aftermarket ones even cheaper, but they might not work well with the central computer.