A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011
Old 08-05-2016, 09:38 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A4 (B7) Lighting Guides
Print Wikipost

Intermittant Rear Brake/Turn Signal Light Outage

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 09:25 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default standard bulbs

Originally Posted by schalliol
I will try some of these things if I can figure out part numbers. I need to open mine up to take a look at it, but I pulled out the service manual to see what it says:

"Depending on market version, LEDs may be used for brake lamps and a 21 W halogen bulb may be used for rear fog lamp" I have a 2005 with Bi-Xenon/Adaptive Lighting (not sure if that matters in any way).

It looks like there are 5 bulbs in the picture labeled "A94-10094." The numbers below refer to the 5 bulbs, as labeled in the picture.

2-Lamp Bulb
"For turn signal lamp, 12 V, 21 W, Orange"

3, 4, 13-Lamp Bulb
"12 V, 21W"

14-Lamp Bulb
"Back-up lamp, Basis version, drivers and passengers side, as well as USA vehicles: 12V, 21 W

Rear fog lamp, High version, drivers side: 12 V, 21 W Halogen lamp bulb.

Back-up lamp, High version, passengers side: 12 V, 21W"

It then gives info on replacing the Rear Lamp Bulb Holder, which looks easy enough. However, I can't find parts on any of this. This is my first time to use the service manual, but I would think they'd be listed in the manual somewhere. That would make sense. I see no mention of how to tell what kind of bulbs are needed (it's 12V, 21W, but what size, connection-type, etc). I then also don't see how to find the part number for that bulb holder.

I would love to order these items today if I could possibly find out what bulbs I should order and holder. I'll wait on the LED array until I know I need to do that. Does anyone have any ideas? I'm sorry for the "newbie" questions for repairing this car!
I think the bulbs are very standard type found at most major auto supply stores. I forget the number stamped on them - but - they were very standard two pin - bulbs. Not much different than what goes in my trailer assembly or any of my other cars. The light assembly can be removed in about five minutes once you know how to do it - with only a 13mm wrench. Take it out - look at the bulbs - note the numbers - for some reason 7057 seems to come to mind - and then order.

Of course Audi will tell you to use their special bulbs. When I bought mine from the dealer (about $3.00 each) the four white ones came out of a bulk box with English writing on it - nothing special. The amber bulb did come packaged with the Audi logo on it - in a separate box.

The LED is a different matter. Good luck.
Old 07-06-2009, 11:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for those thoughts. I'll do that.

I did look on AutoZone just for fun and found they think the Sylvania SilverStar 7507A works, which makes sense from what has been reported. It does show to 21 watts with 275 lumens on the Website. That comes up as amber when on and irridescent when off. One question I had from a previous post. Why is one bulb amber when it seems that the cover is just red. I don't see any difference between the lights, i.e. I don't think any look different from one another.

So, I headed over to Sylvania's site and there's a replacement guide. Here is what it says:
2005 AUDI A6 (With HID (high intensity discharge) headlamps)

High & low beam headlamp
HID-D2S

Parking light
3457ALL
3457AST Silverstar Signal Lighting: Complete the Look: Crisp, Clean, Style

Front turn signal
3457ALL
3457AST Silverstar Signal Lighting: Complete the Look: Crisp, Clean, Style

Rear turn signal
7507AST Silverstar Signal Lighting: Complete the Look: Crisp, Clean, Style
7507LL Long Life Upgrade: Up to twice the life of the standard lamp

Tail light
7528LL Long Life Upgrade: Up to twice the life of the standard lamp

Stop light
7528LL Long Life Upgrade: Up to twice the life of the standard lamp

High mount stop light
Assembly

Fog/Driving light
H7
H7SU Silverstar ULTRA for Ultra Night Vision - The Whitest and Brightest Halogen
H7ST Silverstar High Performance Lighting: The Whiter and Brighter Halogen
H7EB EcoBright - Your Environmental Choice
H7XV XtraVision Halogen - The Brighter Light
H7CB Cool Blue Halogen - The Whiter Light

License plate
6418LL Long Life Upgrade: Up to twice the life of the standard lamp

Back up light
921ST Silverstar Signal Lighting: Complete the Look: Crisp, Clean, Style
921LL Long Life Upgrade: Up to twice the life of the standard lamp

Front sidemarker

Glove box
2825LL Long Life Upgrade: Up to twice the life of the standard lamp

Map light

Dome light

Step/Courtesy light
6418LL Long Life Upgrade: Up to twice the life of the standard lamp

Trunk/Cargo area
6486X

Daytime running light
2825LL
Googling on the long light version I see this: http://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f6...ing-18715.html The guy got the 7528 for his Touareg and that resolved his issue.
Old 07-06-2009, 12:52 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

With NoVA_A6's suggestion to check GenuineVWAudiParts.com, it looks like here's the bulb holder for $16.31. They also seem to sell the bulbs for like $1.74 each with $3.30 for the amber one. I don't see the LED array however. Can anyone help locate those parts? That might be the $131 (right) or $159 (left) seen here. I'm going to go ahead and order the bulb holder and a set of bulbs. That's $26.57 + $7.50 shipping.

Last edited by schalliol; 07-06-2009 at 12:57 PM.
Old 07-06-2009, 06:39 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a similar issue with my 2005 A6 but just with the drivers side turn signal. Periodically i will get the rapid blinker. I attempted to remove the light housing and replace the bulb with the sylvania 7507. I havent replaced it yet as the turn signal started working fine again once I messed with the wires... Loosed or faukt wiring or bulb housing? I'm not sure...
Old 07-06-2009, 06:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Yeah, it's hard to figure out. Even though I ordered these parts, it seems that the LED array (or wiring) is the issue since I don't think the bulbs I'm replacing are part of the turn signal. I have the same issue as seckler17, except whenever mine blinks off, I lose the brake light too. Genuine VW Audi Parts seems to have the LED array, but it seems to be part of the whole package. Can anyone find just the LED array part to order?
Old 07-07-2009, 10:26 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by schalliol
Yeah, it's hard to figure out. Even though I ordered these parts, it seems that the LED array (or wiring) is the issue since I don't think the bulbs I'm replacing are part of the turn signal. I have the same issue as seckler17, except whenever mine blinks off, I lose the brake light too. Genuine VW Audi Parts seems to have the LED array, but it seems to be part of the whole package. Can anyone find just the LED array part to order?
I have looked and looked and cannot find the LED except as part of the whole assembly. I have also removed the tail light and cannot find any way that the LED can even be removed - it is sealed into the plastic assembly. I think you are stuck buying the whole piece - which seems a waste of good material. I have also replaced everything I can but that LED, which is actually the only one that goes out when I have my intermittent issue.
Old 07-07-2009, 10:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Ugh...So is the cheapest place to find it at Genuine VW Audi Parts? Also, does anyone know why the left one would be more expensive than the right as it seems to be?
Old 07-07-2009, 01:19 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also had this problem, the dealer's technician looked into it and could not replicate the warning lights.

Here's what I did:

Pulled out the tail light, disconnected the connector, cleaned the contacts with alcohol and a q-tip, and then smeared a little pookie on the connectors. Put it all back together and haven't had a problem in six months.

Pookie is Texas-speak for dielectric grease. Get a small packet for .99 cents at the autoparts counter.
Old 07-07-2009, 01:22 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh, I have the 2005 A6 4.2, but it doesn't seem to matter much in this instance... and the driver's side rear lights were acting up...

Originally Posted by Father_Flanagan
I also had this problem, the dealer's technician looked into it and could not replicate the warning lights.

Here's what I did:

Pulled out the tail light, disconnected the connector, cleaned the contacts with alcohol and a q-tip, and then smeared a little pookie on the connectors. Put it all back together and haven't had a problem in six months.

Pookie is Texas-speak for dielectric grease. Get a small packet for .99 cents at the autoparts counter.
Old 07-08-2009, 12:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Interesting, I looked up dielectric grease and found this thread. They way I read that says that the grease should make the connections less conductive. Did I read that correctly? BTW, did you use ethel or isopropyl alcohol? Thanks!

Quick Reply: Intermittant Rear Brake/Turn Signal Light Outage