A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Intermittent Sat Radio issue "Linking"

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 07:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intermittent Sat Radio issue "Linking"

I have a 2007 A6 and I have been having a problem with my satellite radio for the last several weeks. The problem is intermittent but it will keep loosing signal and saying "linking" on the MMI screen. Typically I would expect this when passing under obstructions, however, this has been happening frequently even on open road with nothing but blue skies. It will cut in and out soo much that I can't even listen to any music.
I took it into the dealership and they could not find anything wrong with it (probably because it is an intermittent problem). Has anyone had this issue or have any suggestions for fixing it? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
Old 10-06-2010, 03:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Having the same problem here...did you ever get it resolved?
Old 10-06-2010, 04:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

the 2011 a8 i was rockin today was doing the same thing. dunno. came back after a minute or two.
Old 10-07-2010, 09:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine started doing this a few weeks back as well=no Sirius radio. My start button stopped working as well...I think it has something to do with the immobilizer cable needing to be replaced.
Old 10-07-2010, 05:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Mine comes and goes. I've only had the car a couple of months and it was very solid only rarely losing signal in heavily treed areas. The last couple of weeks its not been consistant and "linking" more than working. I might try to re-update the MMI to see if that takes care of it.

In the meantime...anybody know the routing of the antenna coax?
Old 10-08-2010, 07:26 PM
bwb
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default same issue, had to replace the module

Bought the car at 40K, same issues, and it would occur anywhere and last from a few seconds to up to a minute. Left it with the tech who took it home (i.e. a long test drive) and he eventually confirmed the error and had to replace the satellite radio module. Fortunately it was under warranty at the time. (CPO doesn't cover the MMI/Sirius etc.) Still goes out under bridges but very predictable. For what it is worth, My wifes XM never goes out.
Old 10-09-2010, 09:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

maybe this is a problem with sirius, not the car?
Old 10-10-2010, 05:42 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I ordered an XM module for my car that will be here soon. It was much cheaper than a replacement Sirius module. From what I read on this forum it is a simple swap out...can anyone here confirm that?
Old 10-31-2010, 09:33 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Listen guys. I worked with satellites for years. They are line of sight devices. No line of sight, no signal received, no music. I have 6 XM receivers installed in my family/sons/daughters cars. Lots of experience with them. Three things: 1)Most of the models have a built in buffer that will store some seconds of music so when you go under a bridge, in a canyon, in a tunnel, etc, it will continue to play music out of the buffer until it is used up or you are back in line of sight. If you are fast enough in the dead zone, you will not even know it lost line of sight. But if you use up the buffer, it will go out. I have this problem alots here in the mountains/canyons of Colorado. 2) Since the satellites are in stationary orbits, they are over the equator. The further north you go, the greater the angle of the line of sight. In Fla, the satellite is closer to 5-10 degrees from vertical so not much lose of line of sight to the satellite. But if you are up along the Canadian border, that same satellite is a lot closer to the southern horizon and lots more subject to cut off due to loss of line of sight. Rarely has XM itself lost satellite feed. 3) Placement of the car satellite is critical. If you have a steel top vehicle, put the antenna in the center on the roof just about in line with the rear view mirror. The rear view mirror has nothing to do with it but is just a point of reference. But my Audi does not have a single magnetic point on the whole exterior skin of the car! I had to mount in inside the car on the dash in the center up against the windshield to get enough signal. Works great. My son had the car previously and had it mounted over by the post on the drivers side. The further north I went, the worse the signal got. I moved it to the center away from the post and it works fine now. Used two sided tape to hold in place, routed the wired to hide it and make it look almost invisible. Hope this helps.
Old 11-01-2010, 05:41 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Just to wrap this up... I bought an XM module to replace my Sirius one. It was MUCH cheaper. I'm back up and going now. The sound seems a bit more compressed with the XM than it did the Sirius but at least I'm getting signal now.

Quick Reply: Intermittent Sat Radio issue "Linking"