A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Jack Stands

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 02:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i changed mine and never used the torque wrench at all... never had a problem after. i just used stopped when i thought it was enough...
Old 12-07-2012, 07:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 175 Likes on 154 Posts

In checking my Bentley Repair Manual, those tiighten torques for the bolts are correct.
Old 12-07-2012, 08:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

If you believe that the specified preload on each fastener is unimportant to withstand the forces that are applied to the joint, then that's your business. However, any mechanic that works at a dealer who did not follow the official repair instructions issued by the OEM would be fired (huge liability you know!). For example, the caliper ribbolt is specified to be tightened to 190 N–m as noted in royclark's thread. If you removed that bolt and didn't re–tightened it to that value and only "snugged" it up, you really believe that would not have an effect on the braking over time? As a licensed, professional mechanical engineer, I am very knowledgeable why a preload, i.e., tightening torque, is specified for bolts in a joint. But do as you wish. For me, I will follow the "guidelines".
Old 12-08-2012, 04:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by A6Gary
In checking my Bentley Repair Manual, those tiighten torques for the bolts are correct.

Thanks for the info.

I always torque my wheel bolts to the specified 120 Nm. and any other nuts/bolts that I remove.

My son works in an accident repair shop and he tells me that, To comply with British standards approval, torque settings have to be adhered to and all torque wrenches calibrated every six months.
All vehicles have to be logged and what wrench was used.
They have snap inspections and any job can be checked. If torque settings are found to be wrong they can lose their B.S Approval licence.

Last edited by royclark; 12-08-2012 at 05:37 AM.
Old 12-09-2012, 05:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by royclark
Thanks for the info.

I always torque my wheel bolts to the specified 120 Nm. and any other nuts/bolts that I remove.

My son works in an accident repair shop and he tells me that, To comply with British standards approval, torque settings have to be adhered to and all torque wrenches calibrated every six months.
All vehicles have to be logged and what wrench was used.
They have snap inspections and any job can be checked. If torque settings are found to be wrong they can lose their B.S Approval licence.
i thought wheel bolts were to be torqued to 90 ??
Old 12-09-2012, 09:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Nope, both Aud & VW have specified 120 N–m (89 lb–ft) for wheel bolts at least since MY 2000, but probably earlier. My '96 A6 was specified to be tightened to 110 N–m (81 lb–ft).
Old 12-10-2012, 07:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

that figures 120 N-m is 90 ft pounds.. i just dont know how to read the figures and that they needed a conversion

anyone know a good link to a place i can educate myself on this?

^im serious
Old 12-10-2012, 11:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Lol you an engineer, not a technician. and any real technician will tell you its not that important. If it was so critical every other car from every shop everywhere would catastrophically failed. It doesnt and wont. Go back to designing and let the repairing be done by us. yet to hear of ANYBODY getting fired because they dont use torque wrenches on every little bolt on the whole car, how ridiculous and unrealistic. Most places on these cars cant even fit one in to be used. And no i dont think the caliper bolts are that important, tighten them down, be done. Move on to the next thing. Not freak out and make sure its exactly this many ft.lbs omgwtfbbq its one foot pound too much the cars now going to implode lol....

Last edited by Prospeeder; 12-10-2012 at 11:45 AM.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Here is a site to download the best unit conversion tool I have found, "Convert.exe". It will convert anything from US to metric units, metric to US units, or anything in between. This handy desktop tool will eliminate the typical round–off errors that most people do when converting metric numbers to US units.

http://joshmadison.com/convert-for-windows/
Old 12-14-2012, 08:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Prospeeder
"True" mechanics, dont use torque wrenches for stupid **** like that. Its not critical, and is not going to come apart and fail unless you have little flimsy arms that cant tighten things down. its very rare for any REAL mechanic doing it for a living to use a torque wrench for much more than lug bolts and cylinder head bolts, lower intake gaskets on pushrod engines.

Dont fool yourself, specs are there for a guideline not "omg every tech uses a torque wrench for every little bolt on the whole car." There there so dumbasses dont break bolts off or leave wheel lugs loose. Im sure you use a torque wrench on your battery terminals too right lol....
yeh. and real mechanics do not use VAG COM to measure 36C temperature of the transmission fluid. 36C temperature is the same as temperature inside their G/F they can feel it by hand!

Quick Reply: Jack Stands