A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

just me

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 11:41 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default just me

Well the reason I need that I because. I had to remove my Heads and now I'm in the process of putting it all back together.
but I need to see which cylinder needs to be set at TDC and I don't have a book.
Old 07-03-2013, 01:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 205 Likes on 174 Posts

Huh...what is your question?
Old 07-03-2013, 03:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 924 Likes on 756 Posts

I am also confused
Old 07-03-2013, 06:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So you pulled the engine heads off for some reason, but you do not even have the resources to look up how to line up top dead center. You were supposed to lock the crank and cams in place with special Audi locking pin tools. Not sure how you go about it now.

Audi > C6 > 2005-2008
6-cylinder Gasoline direct injection 3.2L 4V Engine Mechanical engine code BKH
13 - Removal and Installation.Timing Chains, Removing from Camshafts and Chain TensionerSpecial tools, testers and auxiliary items required
Counter-holder T10172 with pin T10172/2
Adapter T40058
Locking pin T40069
Camshaft locator T40070 (qty. 2)
Securing pin T40071 (qty. 2)
Multi-point socket T10035
Note:
Crankshaft and camshafts must only be rotated when chain drive is installed completely. Otherwise the valves impact on the pistons danger of damage to valves/piston heads.
Removing
Note:
According to the following description, the timing chains for camshafts remain on engine. If the timing chains for camshafts are to be completely removed, the lower timing chain cover must also be removed Timing Chain Cover, Lower .
Remove cylinder head cover.
Remove left and right timing chain covers Timing Chain Covers, Upper .
Insert guide pin of adapter T40058 so that large diameter - arrow 1 - points to engine. Small diameter - arrow 2 - points to adapter.
Using socket T40058 , rotate crankshaft in direction of engine rotation - arrow - to TDC.
The threaded holes - arrows - in the camshafts must face upward.
Mount camshaft locating tool T40070 on both cylinder heads and tighten bolts - arrows - to 20 Nm.
The camshaft locating tool T40070 is correctly positioned when the holes for the cylinder head bolts remain free.
Remove sealing plug - arrow - from cylinder block.
CAUTION!
Do not turn crankshaft while touching TDC hole with finger - Risk of injury.

Install crankshaft holder T40069 into hole - 1 - to 10 Nm, if necessary rotate crankshaft very slightly back and forth to completely center the holder.
Mark running direction of left camshaft timing chain with paint.
Remove bolts - 1 - and - 2 - for camshaft adjuster using multipoint socket T10035 .
Remove both camshaft adjusters.
Remove bolts - 1 - and - 2 - and remove chain tensioner.
Mark running direction of right camshaft timing chain with paint.
Remove bolts - 1 - and - 2 - for camshaft adjuster using multipoint socket T10035 .
Remove both camshaft adjusters.
Remove bolts - 1 - and - 2 - and remove chain tensioner.
.Installing
Note:
Always replace bolts that are tightened to specification as well as O-rings and gaskets.
When turning camshaft, crankshaft must not be at TDC for any cylinder. Valves and/or pistons may be damaged.
Drive chain for timing mechanism installed Timing Mechanism Drive Chain .
Secure crankshaft in TDC position using crankshaft holder T40069 .
Camshaft locating tool T40070 mounted on both cylinder heads and tightened to 20 Nm.
Fully relieve tension of guide rail for left and right camshaft timing chain tensioner - arrow - .
The piston of the tensioning element - 1 - must be driven out completely, thereby releasing the retainer - for this the chain tensioner must be removed.
Note:
If the tensioning element is to be removed from the chain tensioner, observe the installed position: Hole in housing floor faces toward chain tensioner, piston faces toward tensioning rail.
Press guide rail of the left and right camshaft timing chain inward - arrow - up to stop and secure chain tensioner with the securing pin T40071 .
Clean oil strainer - 3 - in both chain tensioners if necessary.
Place a new gasket - 2 - onto the rear of the chain tensioner - 1 - .
Set chain tensioner in place on the left cylinder head and install the camshaft timing chain, as shown in the illustration.
Tighten bolts - 1 - and - 2 - .
Replace camshaft bolts.
Place camshaft timing chain onto drive sprocket and onto camshaft adjusters and loosely thread in the bolts - 1 - and - 2 - .
Both camshaft adjusters must be able to still be rotated on camshaft and must not tip.
Remove locking pin T40071 .
Set chain tensioner in place on the right cylinder head and install the camshaft timing chain, as shown in the illustration.
Tighten bolts - 1 - and - 2 - .
Replace camshaft bolts.
Place camshaft timing chain onto drive sprocket and onto camshaft adjusters and loosely thread in the bolts - 1 - and - 2 - .
Both camshaft adjusters must be able to still be rotated on camshaft and must not tip.
Remove locking pin T40071 .
Set counter-holder T10172 with pin T10172/2 in place on the camshaft adjuster of the left intake camshaft.
Hold camshaft timing chain pre-tensioned by pressing on counter-holder in direction of - arrow - .
Simultaneously, pre-tighten the camshaft bolt using the multipoint socket T10035 and torque wrench.
Tightening Specification: 40 Nm.
Continue holding the pretension on the intake camshaft and pre-tighten the bolt - 1 - on the exhaust camshaft.
Tighten camshaft bolts - 1 - and - 2 - on left cylinder head to final tightening specification.
Tightening Specification: 80 Nm plus an additional 90 degree ( 1 / 4 turn).
Set counter-holder T10172 with pin T10172/2 in place on the camshaft adjuster of the right exhaust camshaft.
Hold camshaft timing chain pre-tensioned by pressing on counter-holder in direction of - arrow - .
Simultaneously, pre-tighten camshaft bolt using the multipoint socket T10035 and torque wrench.
Continue holding the pretension on the exhaust camshaft and pre-tighten the bolt - 1 - on the intake camshaft.
Tighten camshaft bolts - 1 - and - 2 - on right cylinder head to final tightening specification.
Tightening Specification: 80 Nm plus an additional 90 degree ( 1 / 4 turn).
Remove camshaft locators T40070 on both cylinder heads.
Remove crankshaft holder T40069 .
Using key T40058 turn crankshaft two complete rotations in direction of engine rotation - arrow - until crankshaft stands at TDC again.
Note:
If rotated unintentionally beyond TDC, turn back crankshaft again approximately 30 degrees and set to TDC again.
The threaded holes - arrows - in the camshafts must face upward.
Mount camshaft locating tools T40070 to both cylinder heads and tighten the bolts - arrows - to 20 Nm.
The camshaft locating tool T40070 is correctly positioned when the holes for the cylinder head bolts remain free.
Install crankshaft holder T40069 directly into the hole.
The crankshaft holder T40069 must engage in the locating hole of the crankshaft - 1 - , otherwise repeat the adjustment.
Remove camshaft locating tools on both cylinder heads.
Remove crankshaft holder.
Install sealing plug of TDC marking with new seal into cylinder block.
Further installation is in reverse order of removal, noting the following:
Install left and right timing chain covers Timing Chain Covers, Upper .
Install cylinder head cover.
Tightening Specifications

There are pics but they are copy paste protected.