A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Key not recognized as being in the car

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2018, 06:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Key not recognized as being in the car

I just can't catch a break with this car. I'm sorry to say but this car is the worst car I have ever owned. It is a beautiful car and rides nice but that's about it. Every few days there is another issue.

Today while driving I got a random, out of nowhere message on the dash saying "key not in the car" (something to that effect). It's the message where it shows a key and a question mark (?). I have push to start and that is how I started it this morning on the way to work and after about 30 min of driving I got that message. The key was in the cup holder by the armrest.

Then this evening when trying to start the car using the push to start a message would come up saying that it could not find the key or something like that. I had the key in my hand. I found that if I pressed the unlock button on the remote that it would then recognize it and start. I tried it several times and each time I would get the message and after I pressed the unlock button on the remote it would then allow me to start it using the push to start.

I drove the car somewhere and stopped like 4 times and it started perfectly those 4 times without displaying the message. So, it is very sporadic.

It is not the battery in the remote because I changed the battery about a month ago (a week or two after getting the car).

I wonder if this is something that I can fix using my newly acquired Xtool 401?

Any advice is appreciated. This car is wearing me out.

Thanks.
Old 03-15-2018, 07:12 PM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts

Have you tried changing the battery in the key? Nothing lasts forever but the earth and sky.
The following users liked this post:
dfessett (04-26-2024)
Old 03-15-2018, 07:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by 4Driver4
Have you tried changing the battery in the key? Nothing lasts forever but the earth and sky.
Thank you for your reply but you obviously didn’t read my entire post. LOL.
dfessett (04-26-2024)
Old 03-16-2018, 04:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 370 Likes on 311 Posts

This may also be caused by your broken door mechanism. All these systems are connected.
If your car was previously involved in a road incident that affected some of the car functions, you will keep having issues unless you have it totally inspected and properly repaired by a certified Audi dealership which would cost you your left ball kidding!

The point is, these are highly sophisticated cars not destined to broke people. Every single part on them is highly engineered. The technology used is ahead of its time. So except to spend big bucks to enjoy all it has to offer.
Lucky people like me ended up with a car with no issues. If your car was not well maintained as it should by the previous owner, you will mostly be in trouble.

To get back to the subject, I'd suggest you plan on fixing that door issue when you get the chance. Could not be it, could be it.
dfessett (04-26-2024)
Old 03-16-2018, 05:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by kelisko
This may also be caused by your broken door mechanism. All these systems are connected.
If your car was previously involved in a road incident that affected some of the car functions, you will keep having issues unless you have it totally inspected and properly repaired by a certified Audi dealership which would cost you your left ball kidding!

The point is, these are highly sophisticated cars not destined to broke people. Every single part on them is highly engineered. The technology used is ahead of its time. So except to spend big bucks to enjoy all it has to offer.
Lucky people like me ended up with a car with no issues. If your car was not well maintained as it should by the previous owner, you will mostly be in trouble.

To get back to the subject, I'd suggest you plan on fixing that door issue when you get the chance. Could not be it, could be it.
LOL. You’re not kidding. Probably both *****!! That’s why I’m not going. Man this car is a mess!! Beautiful car and rides and drives great but toooooo many issues.

You say it may be related to the broken driver door lock mechanism but the funny thing is that has been broken the entire 6 weeks I have owned this car and this key not in car issue just started yesterday. It did it again this morning. When I first got in the car to start it I had to press the button 3 times but it finally started. Then after driving 60 Miles it gave the “key not in car” message accompanied by that wonderful loud ear piercing beep. I really wish I could lower the volume on that service beep (since I seem to hear it very often for one reason or another!!).

Side note: I received my Xtool 401 like you have. I was messing around with it hooked up the other day and I went I to some menus. Maybe I did this by accident. I dont “think” I performed any functions or changes and was only looking. But who knows. It’s just weird that the key thing started like the next day. I see some menus in there for keys and comfort settings. Any thoughts on that?

However, now that I think about it, there have been some times since the beginning of me owning the car where I have had to press the start button two and sometimes 3 times to start the car. I never gave it any thought because I figured that maybe I just wasn’t pressing the button hard enough and I had not gotten any messages on the dash (until yesterday). So maybe this didn’t just become an issue yesterday and has been ongoing but got worse yesterday. Ugh.

I am REALLY REALLY close to putting a for sale sign on this headache!! Thanks.
Old 03-16-2018, 06:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 370 Likes on 311 Posts

Hum, I feel your pain. You said you already replaced the battery but I'd encourage you to go ahead and change it again, just in case. Use a different brand this time.

When it comes to the XTool I am not sure. Try to read and clear faults. I don't know how keyless entry works but it is recommended to have the car off before plugging the VAG tool, then turn the ignition on without having to start the car before using the tools. When you're done, make sure you turn the ignition off before unplugging the tool.

Also try reverting back the door auto lock function to what it was to see if it changes something.
Old 03-16-2018, 02:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 910 Likes on 745 Posts

Originally Posted by akingzkid

I am REALLY REALLY close to putting a for sale sign on this headache!! Thanks.
We tried warning you. Lol.
Old 03-17-2018, 12:38 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi new to this forum, and in regards to your key fob I had the same issue the car wouldn’t recognize the key
and turns out something happened to the keys computer board and I got stuck in the car wash bay for 45
minutes before car magically started and to top it off for to new key fobs programmed cost me $550 bucks
i love this car only owned it 2 months and had 3000 dollars in oil leak repairs in like 6 different spots I hope
I hope this isn’t how it’s going to be with it anyway good luck and hope for the best and expect it to be a expensive fix
Old 03-17-2018, 07:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Vinnythekid
Hi new to this forum, and in regards to your key fob I had the same issue the car wouldn’t recognize the key
and turns out something happened to the keys computer board and I got stuck in the car wash bay for 45
minutes before car magically started and to top it off for to new key fobs programmed cost me $550 bucks
i love this car only owned it 2 months and had 3000 dollars in oil leak repairs in like 6 different spots I hope
I hope this isn’t how it’s going to be with it anyway good luck and hope for the best and expect it to be a expensive fix
Wow. That's all I can say!! Unbelievable. So you have had yours for 2 months like me Vinnythekid? I can give you a long list of issues with mine (lots of engine leaks and front and rear differential leaks included).
Old 03-17-2018, 07:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by KevinGary

We tried warning you. Lol.
Yes you did. KevinGary is it you that has the LONG list of repairs that you have made to your car before it died or is that A6Gary?

Quick Reply: Key not recognized as being in the car