A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Key not recognized as being in the car

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2018, 07:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by kelisko
Hum, I feel your pain. You said you already replaced the battery but I'd encourage you to go ahead and change it again, just in case. Use a different brand this time.

When it comes to the XTool I am not sure. Try to read and clear faults. I don't know how keyless entry works but it is recommended to have the car off before plugging the VAG tool, then turn the ignition on without having to start the car before using the tools. When you're done, make sure you turn the ignition off before unplugging the tool.

Also try reverting back the door auto lock function to what it was to see if it changes something.
I put a new battery in it and not problems so far. It's working as it should and I have tested it a lot of times (going inside the house and returning to the car to see if it would start) and it has not given me the error again............yet!!

Thanks for the advice on the scan tool. However, aren't there some times where the car needs to be running to perform some functions?

I'm impressed that you remember me turning off the auto lock. You are really following my car woes closely. I appreciate it man. I may try that if I get the error after the new battery. Thanks.

I am going to start a new post about my results of my scan tool results. They are a mess. Please look at them and let me know your thoughts.
Old 03-17-2018, 11:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 917 Likes on 750 Posts

Originally Posted by akingzkid
Yes you did. KevinGary is it you that has the LONG list of repairs that you have made to your car before it died or is that A6Gary?
Thats me! Do what I say, not what I do. Lol
Old 03-17-2018, 12:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by KevinGary

Thats me! Do what I say, not what I do. Lol
LOL. So what is it that you are saying that I should do that you did not do? Sell the car?
Old 03-17-2018, 02:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 917 Likes on 750 Posts

LOL. So what is it that you are saying that I should do that you did not do? Sell the car?
Absolutely!
Old 03-18-2018, 04:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by KevinGary

Absolutely!
Well dang!! LOL.
Old 07-21-2019, 12:47 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I just can't catch a break with this car. I'm sorry to say but this car is the worst car I have ever owned. It is a beautiful car and rides nice but that's about it. Every few days there is another issue.

Today while driving I got a random, out of nowhere message on the dash saying "key not in the car" (something to that effect). It's the message where it shows a key and a question mark (?). I have push to start and that is how I started it this morning on the way to work and after about 30 min of driving I got that message. The key was in the cup holder by the armrest.

Then this evening when trying to start the car using the push to start a message would come up saying that it could not find the key or something like that. I had the key in my hand. I found that if I pressed the unlock button on the remote that it would then recognize it and start. I tried it several times and each time I would get the message and after I pressed the unlock button on the remote it would then allow me to start it using the push to start.

I drove the car somewhere and stopped like 4 times and it started perfectly those 4 times without displaying the message. So, it is very sporadic.

It is not the battery in the remote because I changed the battery about a month ago (a week or two after getting the car).

I wonder if this is something that I can fix using my newly acquired Xtool 401?

Any advice is appreciated. This car is wearing me out.

Thanks.
Disconnect battery (positive first then negative) wait 10 mins the reconnect battery. This solved our issue. Audi a1 keyless entry with push to start.
The following 3 users liked this post by Ricardo89:
AudiBro73 (04-16-2023), Sverige (07-22-2019), therealfleen (09-22-2019)
Old 04-16-2023, 09:51 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ricardo89
Disconnect battery (positive first then negative) wait 10 mins the reconnect battery. This solved our issue. Audi a1 keyless entry with push to start.
Thank you for this. My 2017 A3 was cranking, but wouldn't start after I had just washed the car and engine bay. I was cautious and covered the battery, ECU, and fuse box before washing the engine. None of them were wet. I knew my key fob battery was good, and the car battery was showing just over 12v on the multi-meter. Checked all of the fuses under the hood, and they were all good. Started to suspect it was the anti-theft system at this point. Checked the cabin fuse box for the anti-theft system and tank related fuses, but everything was good there too.

Tried your suggestion, but it didn't work the first time. I thought that I would try it again, so I just disconnected the positive and went to have a cup of coffee while I searched the web some more. With the battery still disconnected, I also checked the ECU connection to make sure no water had gotten in there somehow, but it was dry too. About 20 mins later, I returned and I reconnected the battery. I immediately started hearing some of the normal motor noises from the engine bay that I didn't hear on the first attempt, so I suspected that it might have done the trick. Sure enough, the car started right up. Dashboard lit up like a Christmas tree, flashing several warnings like TMPS, Cruise, Pre-Sense, Parking Assist, Start/Stop, etc. I figured the ECU had some re-learning to do, so I took the car for a short drive, parked, reset the TPMS in the MMI, and shut it down. Started it back up again, and all of the warning/error messages were gone.

Thank you again. Next step would have been to tow it to Audi service and throw money at them to fix it.