A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Lease is up in 2 months - now what?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2007, 02:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lease is up in 2 months - now what?

The lease on my '05 3.2 expires in 2 months.
I have almost all options available at that time - Navi, XM, Cold weather, 18" wheels, etc.
The few new features on an '08 not on my current car would be - voice activation, power adjust wheel, iPod adpater, and tire pressure monitor.

I test drove a 2008 4.2 and a 3.2. While the 4.2 clearly had more power, and both cars felt a bit tighter, the bottom line is it's basically the same car I'm driving now. I was hoping that the 4.2 would be overwhelmingly stronger than my 3.2, but to me I only felt the extra HP and torque when I really stood on the gas and forced a downshift. For day to day driving, I just don't know how much different the car would feel.

I can buy my vehicle out of the lease for $28k, with no sales tax (Md.) Or, I can lease a new '08. I also looked at some other vehicles and really liked the BMW 535xi, but the poor side impact crash test results is enough to make me pass on that car. And, the truth is, I really like driving an Audi (this is my third in a row). I am definitely concerned about being out of warranty soon as I have 45k miles on the car. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-29-2007, 04:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default You can get an extended warranty if that is your only concern...

I still have my '01 A6 and it is going strong with no problems.

With Canadian Dollar at par you would be foolish to commit to a new car today (if you were a Canadian). There is no way the car companies will be able to sustain a 25% price difference. I expect to see more realistic prices over the next year or so - in Canada.

I can not speak for the C6 A6 but can say that my S6 is a major improvement on my A6.
Old 09-29-2007, 04:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts
Default I have the same car. . .

. . .but it has the premium leather, voice, nav, smart key, etc -- it also has the premium paint.

I was given all new chrome, a new MMI software upgrade and all new brakes at 43K miles.

The thing looks and drives better than the day I got it.

I was loaned an A6 3.2 while in for the last service -- I couldn't even feel any "tightness" difference.

The car rides, drives and handles as new.

It, when cleaned up, looks new in and out.

There is no reason to upgrade -- for what, the backup camera would be about it -- plust the Sline lite look.

I pass.

This is the best Audi in terms of fit, finish, durability, reliability, quality, etc etc, I have had (and it is number 28 in a row.)

Again, I pass.

They tell me I can keep the car 6 months beyond the lease end -- the new A4 with the longer wheelbase looks like a step forward and upward (and since it is just my wife and me -- and two shelties, the possible loss of 1" in the wheelbase is not a show stopper.)

The C6 is a great car, well made and still a pleasure to drive.

I will also look at the CTS AWD with all toys, from Cadillac -- but it is about as current as an Audi A6 circa 2004.

But it is far less money than a new A6.

Maybe, I can just keep sending in lease payments and they won't notice.
Old 09-29-2007, 10:05 PM
Cat Herder

S5
Old 09-30-2007, 06:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2nd....just like the A6, only handles better/looks better
Old 09-30-2007, 06:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: I have the same car. . .

I also have the smart key. For me, the upgrades would be - rear camera, iPod adapater (that would be nice to have), power steering wheel, voice control (should I care?), tire pressure monitor, S Line exterior, and not much else.

My car also still rides and looks new. As I give it more thought and read your responses, I am leaning toward buying my car out of the lease. I just don't see a compelling reason to lease a new one. Now, as for the S5, that could be interesting....

Thanks to everyone for your comments.
Old 09-30-2007, 11:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default The new BMW 535i turbo has 300HP but............

At over 61k fully loaded it just seems overpriced and not as attractive as the A6. meanwhile the S6 is about 78k, much more pleasing to the eyes and has that sweet sweet V10. If your buying the car the S6 seems like something you would never give up. But if you just looking for something else for less than 700/month your stuck with the bimmer.
Old 10-01-2007, 05:46 AM

Default For what it's worth

I was looking at the 535xi before i leased my 3.2. I was told by multiple sources that the bmw awd is light years behind the audi and the 535 wasn't designed for all wheel drive and the added weight and displacement negates the "true bmw" driving experience. I have no idea if this is true and i drove the 535xi and it was a great ride, but, I didn't drive the 535 because i am in RI and definately wanted awd. Something to consider if AWD is important to you. That and the interior and design of the BMW wasn't even close to the audi or mercedes in my opinion
Old 10-01-2007, 02:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default i don't see how xdrive is light years behind quattro...

having a 525xi and living in the snowbelt, the car had no problems driving in 2ft snowstorms, ice, rain, and everything else. there's a slight difference, i mean slight, starting off but it's barely noticeable. the system is sending power to the front.
Old 10-02-2007, 05:58 AM

Default I agree and i think it was a sales pitch

The reason i was convinced i had to have AWD in the first place was after driving my fathers 325xi bmw. Awesome compared to fwd in the snow. The 5 series awd is supposedly a lot heavier and occupies more space which i was told compromises the true handling of the 5 series. Whereas the audi was designed with awd weight and space accounted for. I drove the 535xi and would buy it in a heartbeat. However, the dealers were taking maybe 500 off and i fell in love with a6 anyway.

Quick Reply: Lease is up in 2 months - now what?