A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Is this legit? ...and will it fit?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 03:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 202 Likes on 173 Posts

Ok I'll give it a try...how many tabs do I need to remove? Also, can someone confirm that I can remove the license plate frame entirely and have just a clean open grille?
Old 02-27-2013, 04:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by raj99
Ok I'll give it a try...how many tabs do I need to remove? Also, can someone confirm that I can remove the license plate frame entirely and have just a clean open grille?
I saw an image on here that indicated about 3 tabs per side. Just compare with your OE one and cut to match.

Yes, you can remove the frame completely on the one you linked to.

I'm planning to get the same thing, but the full gloss black version.

Adding satin finish to my paint (Quartz gray) and gloss blacking all the trim pieces.
Old 02-27-2013, 04:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cal3thousand
I saw an image on here that indicated about 3 tabs per side. Just compare with your OE one and cut to match.

Yes, you can remove the frame completely on the one you linked to.

I'm planning to get the same thing, but the full gloss black version.

Adding satin finish to my paint (Quartz gray) and gloss blacking all the trim pieces.
Something like that. You'll need a heat gun to mold and push back some of bumper cover on the lower side of the grill. You with also need to paint the aluminum bumper bar black.

There are posting that detail exactly how to do it.

hope all comes out good.
Old 03-02-2013, 10:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, time for a little write-up on the Dubstop grill!
(sorry that I didn't wash the car before doing the swap, but I just didn't have the time, and you'll know why in a minute...

This is my swap on my 2011 2.0TDie, one of the last C6 sold before the C7 came
When I bought the car someone had put their hitch through the stock grill so I already had a plan of changing it to a RS6 grill once I got the car.

First of all, this grill should only be bought if you like DIY or have someone to do it for you. First there is some pre-paint work, and the rings were not made of the same material as the grill, something much harder and more hard worked.

I read through the ~2h grill swap thread on AW before doing this, and working in a auto shop I could borrow a lift and all the tools today But I wish is was that easy...

Here is the car pre-work with the stock grill

The standard grill on 2011 has the tabs cal3thousand mentioned... With front parking sensors, washer hoses and fog lights, I really had a short space between the car and the bumper once detached!
These tabs made the standard grill hard to remove! I think I spent about 30min just getting it out! I then spent another ~30min just preparing the new grill with placing the new rings and plate holder in the right place/aligned.

Here is a picture of my grill with the tabs compared to the RS6 with screw holes. I really prefered the screwed once, made the new grill so much easier to fit. Thank you Audi for thinking about us retrofitters when you prepared the bumper so that the screws had some where to go!

Here I want to point a big finger at my last ~30min of wasted time... And that is the upper bumper screw placed beneath the headlight! In the grill swap guide this was mentioned. But I really swore loud a couple of times! This little f*cker took me those 30min just to get it stuck, after doing some seriously awkward angles of arms and body - this was after my extensioner shaft had failed to fit it for some 20 tries!!! Every time resulting in the bolt landing inside the bumper, and I had to take down the bumper every time to find it!!!

The result!?!

So as you now may realize, this didn't take me 2h, it took me 3.5h and one hungry wife waiting for me so we could eat!
But I'm happy as hell! It looks great, it fits great!
Old 03-02-2013, 02:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

looks FANTASTIC! Definetely a good looking mod!
Old 03-02-2013, 03:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks great and OEM. Nice...
Old 03-04-2013, 08:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Richie.se

The result!?!

That looks amazing! I've got to get on this mod.

Thanks for sharing the detailed experience!
Old 03-05-2013, 05:32 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I didn't realize the stock grill could be modded to remove the bottom band... that looks really good, and free...
Old 03-05-2013, 08:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

someone mentioned there was a writeup on making the grill fit for a pre facelift model...I've looked but before I buy this want to make sure it will work for my model of car. Can anyone link to it? BTW, I know how to remove the front grill and bumper...thnx
Old 03-09-2013, 12:03 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for all the nice comments! Will get back to you with better pictures in April when the new summer wheels are on and the car is tinted!

Quick Reply: Is this legit? ...and will it fit?