A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Likely an upper tensioner problem.

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2017, 05:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Likely an upper tensioner problem.

Have some noise coming out from the engine recently. Every time when I start it us it runs for 1 sec then make rutting noise (maybe tensioners) for 1 sec and then settles down into normal operation but with louder then normal ticking noise (i.e. the lifters).
The rattling noise happens whenever the engine is cold or if I restart it. Seems like the problem become less noticeable when I added oil to have it at the top mark. So maybe there is an oil pressure problem and not the tensioner and the lifter problem.
There is no CEL codes and car drives Ok.

I think at this stage I should simply bring the car to the shop and ask to replace the upper tensioners before I will take it on the long trip.
Should I also check the oil pressure? Anyone can point where is the oil pressure sender. I have oil pressure kit from HarborFreight.

BTW, the last time I heard noise in the engine, I brought to the mechanics thinking there were the tensioners but instead mechanics found a hole in exhaust flex pipe. So I admit, I have a level of paranoia.
Old 08-27-2017, 09:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

just checked with VAG COM tool. block #93 shows the angles of each camshuft from spec.
block one: intake 1.9 exaust 6.3
block two: intake 1.4 exaust 1.3

Somebody explained that the sum of intake and exhaust should be 0 or at lest within (-6. 6) range. Obviously the block one is out of range. Likelly because it skipped the tooth. I guess because of the upper tentioners.
Ordered both tensioners and will take to the mechanics right away. they need to reset the timing any way.
Old 08-27-2017, 09:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

tried swapping EX actuators? could be it also...
/H
Old 08-27-2017, 09:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

oh...saw now you have start up noise also...hmm perhaps one of the guides on the tensioner broken.. :/
cheers/H
Old 08-27-2017, 09:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If anything, I would just have the bank 1 upper tensioner changed. Bank 2 is well within limit.
Old 08-27-2017, 09:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 917 Likes on 750 Posts

If you are going to go into the engine, you should just do both
Old 09-05-2017, 01:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Is it a rattling noise, or a "rutting" noise.
Mine makes some "intersting" deep sounds, from the aux air pump(?), right after start up. Those stressed me when I first got the car, thinking that they were loose tensioner sounds.
Old 09-06-2017, 11:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by LarryJa
Is it a rattling noise, or a "rutting" noise.
Mine makes some "intersting" deep sounds, from the aux air pump(?), right after start up. Those stressed me when I first got the car, thinking that they were loose tensioner sounds.
It is ruttling noice (like shaking metal spoons in a metal jar). It makes the sound when the motor is warmed up and when it runs around 1000RPM with no load.
it does not make this sound at higher or lower RPMs. It does not make this sound when it is cold.

You can find a few youtube videos of Audi 3.2 engine making the sound.

Last edited by beep-beep; 09-06-2017 at 12:02 PM.
Old 09-06-2017, 02:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Sounds like a tensioner..., actially, guides, caused by a weak/leaking tensioner.

Last edited by LarryJa; 09-06-2017 at 02:11 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old 09-25-2017, 02:09 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by beep-beep
Have some noise coming out from the engine recently. Every time when I start it us it runs for 1 sec then make rutting noise (maybe tensioners) for 1 sec and then settles down into normal operation but with louder then normal ticking noise (i.e. the lifters).
The rattling noise happens whenever the engine is cold or if I restart it. Seems like the problem become less noticeable when I added oil to have it at the top mark. So maybe there is an oil pressure problem and not the tensioner and the lifter problem.
There is no CEL codes and car drives Ok.

I think at this stage I should simply bring the car to the shop and ask to replace the upper tensioners before I will take it on the long trip.
Should I also check the oil pressure? Anyone can point where is the oil pressure sender. I have oil pressure kit from HarborFreight.

BTW, the last time I heard noise in the engine, I brought to the mechanics thinking there were the tensioners but instead mechanics found a hole in exhaust flex pipe. So I admit, I have a level of paranoia.
i have the same problem i have a6 3.0tdi but i have 120k miles i think this problems hapens at 170k i think my car is clocked could anyone give me an advice