A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Linking Key to Drivers Seat Position

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 12:27 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Linking Key to Drivers Seat Position

I had a 2007 Infiniti G35 prior to the 2006 A6.

In the Infiniti, no matter where the seat was, when I opened the car via keyless entry, the seat would auto travel to my #1 seat position.

If my wife drove the car and had her key, it would auto travel to her #2 seat position as she opened the drivers side door.

I have been all over the MMI, and have not found a way to reproduce this in the Audi. And yes, I enabled the one setting that seems to speak to this, but it did not seem to do anything.

Is this possible, or must I always hit #1 while the door is open?
I annoys me all to hell that once I close the door, I must press and HOLD #1 until it gets to the final resting position. Even if car is in park.

Can anyone help?
Old 07-06-2009, 03:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 912 Likes on 746 Posts

My seat is linked to the individual keys for my setting and my wife's setting. It happens automatically when the door is opened. Unfortunately, I forget how it was set up. It must be somewhere in the manual.
Old 07-06-2009, 06:01 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I will keep playing with it, then.
I had not been able to confirm that this feature was even there.

Thanks.
Old 07-06-2009, 06:31 PM
Audiworld Senior Member

IIRC, set your desired positions (seat & mirrors)and then manually close and open your door with the designated key. This was orally handed down to me over the ages
Old 07-07-2009, 04:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You shouldn't have to press any memory position buttons if you've enabled association with your keys. However, I notice that it doesn't recognize a different driver automatically if both keys are still in range of the car when you open the door (it will just default to the last known driver). So if both of your keys never leave the car's range, it won't really work as intended.

Last edited by BMWBig6; 07-07-2009 at 04:29 AM.
Old 07-07-2009, 04:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Once it has been taught, then it pairs the setting to the key. Of course if the key is used manually to open the door, then it won't recognize the key but otherwise mine works as intended. I wonder if as the other poster says both keys are in range then it gets confused?
Old 07-07-2009, 04:36 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got this enabled in my car as well - and absolutely love the fact that after my wife or anyone else drives my car I can have the seats, mirrors, temperature and radio stations the way I left it! If I recall correctly, to enable it with the key - in addition to setting the memory on the door panel - within the MMI > Setup > Seat. Nevertheless the instructions within the manual were pretty helpful when I set this up originally. Best
Old 07-07-2009, 04:40 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

No. There is only one key present.
I see above that I need to manually lock, and then open the door with the key. I did not see this in the manual, so I will give it a try.

I will:
1. Set the set and mirror to desired position, and associate to memory #1 (this of course has already been done).
2. Exit the car. Lock and Unlock the door with the physical key.
3. Slide seat all the way back.
4. Exit car and lock car with door button handle.
5. Leave for 5 minutes.
6. Return with my key in pocket, and electronically unlock door.

It seems that if above poster is right, my seat will slide forweard to where it belongs (seat memory #1)

Does anyone see a mis-step above?
Originally Posted by skapan
Once it has been taught, then it pairs the setting to the key. Of course if the key is used manually to open the door, then it won't recognize the key but otherwise mine works as intended. I wonder if as the other poster says both keys are in range then it gets confused?
Old 07-07-2009, 04:41 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have set this in the MMI, and saw no difference in behavior.
Originally Posted by akabraham
I've got this enabled in my car as well - and absolutely love the fact that after my wife or anyone else drives my car I can have the seats, mirrors, temperature and radio stations the way I left it! If I recall correctly, to enable it with the key - in addition to setting the memory on the door panel - within the MMI > Setup > Seat. Nevertheless the instructions within the manual were pretty helpful when I set this up originally. Best
Old 07-07-2009, 05:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

I have the same issue, sometimes I see it works and sometimes I don't. It's hard to explain. Anyhow, the thing I noticed is that my steering wheel tilt function does not seem to work, only the telescope works. So when I see the memory seat works as in "easy in, easy out + response to certain key fob", I try the tilt function and only see it moves 1-2mm. Then the "easy in, easy out + memory to certain key fob" will not work until somehow it triggers again (the memory buttons on the door work though).

Quick Reply: Linking Key to Drivers Seat Position