A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Loaner car questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2013, 05:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loaner car questions

Hi, just have a question concerning your experience with loaner cars. Does your dealer charge you a "re stocking" or "cleaning" fee for loaner? My dealer was charging $6 for loaner car and they are really enforcing the "return the car with the same amount of gas we provided", or they charge you $8 per gallon.

With gas price being so high, I can understand why they would like you to fill up the gas you used. However, I am annoyed to pay $6 for getting a loaner. It's not the amount but it just feels like they are nickle and dime-ing. I had own other brand and I was never charge such fee. Just want to check with your experience an see if this is the only dealer that does this.

The dealer is in Southern California. Thank you.
Old 03-02-2013, 02:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 924 Likes on 756 Posts

I am in the NY metro area. I have never been charged any fee for a loaner. I have also never been charged for the gas I have used. By the way the loaner is almost always either an A6 or an A8. Unless you are leaving a dead body in the trunk and returning the car with 10 fewer gallons of gas I would bitch and moan.
Old 03-02-2013, 04:29 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 163 Likes on 117 Posts

I have also never been charged for a loaner here in central CT. I do have to return the car with the same amount of fuel, although they never check. I am typically given an A4 or A6 as a loaner.
Old 03-02-2013, 04:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

In NC they make you fill out a "rental" contract and as KevinGary said usually give us an A6 when either vehicle is in.
A8s are rare here for loaners and I was a little annoyed to get an A3 once when the 8 was in for the day.

They never charge for a loaner but do for gas.
Most of the time it's just home and back so I don't bother to top up and they don't charge.
Now if I'm running all over I fill it back to where it was - would have to do that in my own vehicles....

The best thing to do if possible is turn the tables.
If Service isn't real busy I stay there and work from quattro cafe.
Free wifi, I drink 5 or 6 of their free fancy coffees, eat their pastries, etc.
And they usually give me something - like a fresh copy of the magazine I'm reading, a hat, sunshade, key ring, Audi pen, shirt, cleaning stuff, etc, in the past.
One of the sales guys usually bags up bottled spring water for me to put in the car on the way out.
Only down side is the sales manager and GM usually bum cigarettes off me, lol.

Have yet to try it, but my dealer will also pickup the vehicle and drop a loaner off for you.
Old 03-02-2013, 08:46 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have used the loaners from the dealer numerous times, never was charged for anything, even gas... Im from the MA area
Old 03-02-2013, 07:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Loaner for me no charge and they come to my work and just swap the car out, sign agreement and done. I would always replace the gas I use which only seems fair.
Old 03-02-2013, 10:25 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for all the reply. Wow... after seeing the replies, I think I should have a chat with my dealer. I bought my A6 from my dealer in '10 and they used to put me in Enterprise Rental. So I was given Ford Crow Vic, Hyundai, and even a minivan. The usual excuse was always they ran out of loaners. It was about a year ago that they start having more of a fleet for loaners. They usually give me A3 or A4, and once an A6.

I'm not picky about what kind of loaner they gave me (as long as they give me one), but to charge me $6 for something that should be provided for free is really annoying (and to think I brought the car in because of a recall!)

On a separate note, love the car, thinking about getting another Audi. However, I would think twice about buying it from the same dealership.
Old 03-03-2013, 11:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by mbpc4
Hi, just have a question concerning your experience with loaner cars. Does your dealer charge you a "re stocking" or "cleaning" fee for loaner? My dealer was charging $6 for loaner car and they are really enforcing the "return the car with the same amount of gas we provided", or they charge you $8 per gallon.

With gas price being so high, I can understand why they would like you to fill up the gas you used. However, I am annoyed to pay $6 for getting a loaner. It's not the amount but it just feels like they are nickle and dime-ing. I had own other brand and I was never charge such fee. Just want to check with your experience an see if this is the only dealer that does this.

The dealer is in Southern California. Thank you.
Confucius once say: Free loaner (no charges) = dealer with Class.
Old 03-04-2013, 06:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

I have never been charged for either a loaner or gas. I have always gotten a new car to drive, usually an A4, but once I got new VW Bug and once a new Passat. When I had my Lexus they always filled the tank when it was brought in for major service as well. Other than the lack of a full tank of Gas, service has been equal to or above what my Lexus dealer gave so I have been very happy with their service.
Old 03-17-2013, 01:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KevinGary
I am in the NY metro area. I have never been charged any fee for a loaner. I have also never been charged for the gas I have used. By the way the loaner is almost always either an A6 or an A8. Unless you are leaving a dead body in the trunk and returning the car with 10 fewer gallons of gas I would bitch and moan.
What dealer do use? I need a new dealer in the metro ny area.

Quick Reply: Loaner car questions