A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

location on suspension compressor

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2018, 03:59 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default location on suspension compressor

I have a 2006 audi a6 c6 with air suspension i'am wondering were the all ride suspension compressor is located on the car?
Also if i'am removing all struts and compressor is there anything to look out for or any tips i might need when iam perform the work?
Old 01-24-2018, 10:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 174 Likes on 153 Posts

I also have the adaptive air suspension on my 2006 A6 Avant. The compressor unit for this system is located on the right front area behind the wheel liner. Before you start any R&R of the components on this system, you need to bleed the system, which is performed using VAG-COM (VCDS) or the OEM scanner, and the Bentley Repair Manual. For example, when I replaced the rear air shocks on my car, I had to bleed the rear suspension, which lowered the rear end. After replacing the air shocks, I then had to refill the rear system, using the VCDS. If you don't have this capability, then do not attempt to work on the system, It operates at a very high pressure, so you could injury yourself and probably damage the system if you don't follow the correct procedures.
Old 07-01-2022, 08:38 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bumping an old thread but need help and advice. Any DIYs for changing the compressor and re-installation including the correct way to plug the cables back in.
Also for the relay for the compressor, can locate a few under the windscreen but not sure which one it is, Ive searched everywhere for it and cannot find a schematic or youtube video showing the correct one.

Urgently need help as car has been off the road for a week now
Old 07-01-2022, 03:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 174 Likes on 153 Posts

The relay for the compressor is in the relay box that also contains the engine control unit (ECU). It is located on the passenger side in the plenum. The relay is in the second (middle) position of the relay holder. (I believe it has the number 373 on the top). To access this relay box, you need to remove: 1) plenum cover, 2) wiper arms/blades, 3) the lower plastic edge that snaps into the bottom edge of the windshield, and 4) the Torx screws that secure the cover.. Re-assembly is the reverse of these steps. For the compressor replacement, you should have a Bentley Repair Manual to correctly follow the bleeding/refilling the system. You might also try the Arnott website (www.arnottindustries.com/) for instructions since they sell the compressor.
Old 07-05-2022, 01:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan McMaster
Bumping an old thread but need help and advice. Any DIYs for changing the compressor and re-installation including the correct way to plug the cables back in.
Also for the relay for the compressor, can locate a few under the windscreen but not sure which one it is, Ive searched everywhere for it and cannot find a schematic or youtube video showing the correct one.

Urgently need help as car has been off the road for a week now
It’s a long time since I did my compressor rebuild (piston ring replacement) but I remember I wasn’t able to disconnect the cables from the unit so ended up cutting them and reinstalled the unit by soldering the joint (with overlapping copper strands from each side of the joint spliced together and heat shrink tube over the top to create a new insulation seal). This has worked fine and been running over five years without problems, but will require a high power soldering iron, as the wires are thick.