A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Lowering the a6

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 07:50 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lowering the a6

I want to lower my 4.2 05 a6 at least 1 inch i think the stock height looks silly..my question is will it harm the quattro system any or anything else? and where could i get it done? does the dealership do this?
Old 03-04-2011, 10:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

I have coilovers installed and lowered ~70mm. I haven't had any issues at all with my quattro. You can have the dealer install a set of aftermarket springs and lower you car a little. Dealers tend to be the most expensive place to get maintenance done though.
My '05 3.2Q
Old 03-05-2011, 03:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by babytransporter
I want to lower my 4.2 05 a6 at least 1 inch i think the stock height looks silly..my question is will it harm the quattro system any or anything else? and where could i get it done? does the dealership do this?
lowering will change geometry of suspension. So the wheels will get a little camber and will wear on inner side faster.
lowering also will get bottom of the car close to the road. you will need to be careful driving over speed bumps or you can damage AT oil pan.
Old 03-05-2011, 03:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

A 1 inch below your stock ride height you won't have any different tire wear than you have now. This is assuming you car is aligned properly after the suspension is done.
Old 03-05-2011, 09:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I've had mine lowered with Einbach springs at a local shop (not dealer, they are way too expensive). I have not had any issues with quattro, tire wear or anything else.
Ride is little firmer, but very tolerable. overall, handling is much better.
Attached Images  
Old 03-05-2011, 10:19 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

olikoli, which einbach springs are those? It looks great!
Old 03-05-2011, 10:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Jacques999
olikoli, which einbach springs are those? It looks great!
Thanks!
These are the ones I used (CP from their website)

PRO-KIT Performance Springs (Set of 4 Springs)

#1 Choice of Automotive Enthusiasts Worldwide!

* High Performance Handling and Aggressive Good Looks
* Lower Center of Gravity
* Stop Quicker, Corner Faster and get Better MPG!*
* Progressive Spring Design for Excellent Ride Quality
* Million-Mile Warranty

The Eibach PRO-KIT is the perfect answer for most frequently-driven street cars. It's our legendary sport spring system that dramatically improves both a vehicle's performance and appearance.

PRO-KIT precisely lowers your car's center of gravity, reducing squat during acceleration, body roll in corners and excessive nose-dive under braking. When combined with Plus-1 or Plus-2 wheels and tires, the Eibach PRO-KIT is the finishing touch to a winning recipe for performance. PRO-KIT also reduces excessive fender-well clearance, making your car look just as hot as it performs.

Every Eibach PRO-KIT is designed and tested by our suspension engineers and performance driving professionals to deliver aggressive good looks and high performance handling, without ever compromising safety or ride quality. By using our proprietary, progressive spring design, PRO-KIT Performance Springs provide the ultimate balance to take your passion for driving to a whole new level.

* Your results may vary. As we have learned from racing and independent testing has proved - lowering your car or truck's ride height also improves your aerodynamic efficiency by forcing more air over the car and less underneath (where most of the drag is found on any vehicle), resulting in higher top speeds on the track and better MPG on the highway.
Attached Images  
Old 03-05-2011, 07:21 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks olikoli, one more question, what wheels do you have on there (and size)?
Thanks again.
Old 03-05-2011, 09:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Jacques999
Thanks olikoli, one more question, what wheels do you have on there (and size)?
Thanks again.
These are RS4 replica wheels in 19" made by Ace, running on 245/35-19 Hankook V12 tires.
Old 03-05-2011, 10:30 PM
bwb
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I did the Eibach springs

I added the Eibach springs and while I was there replace the struts with the KONI FSD. I could really feel the difference in handling and the ride compromise with the new struts was a non issue. Go for it, you will be happy. I agree with getting a good independent shop to do it. If you don't know one, ask the service advisor.

Quick Reply: Lowering the a6