A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Major oops with A6 Nav system

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2005, 10:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Major oops with A6 Nav system

So we headed from our home in Northern VA up to upstate NY (Syracuse area) this past week. We stayed over one evening in a town in South Eastern PA, and it was there that I entered in my destination into the Nav system.

After calculating the route, I realized something was wrong when the Nav system told me that the trip would take 5-1/2 hours. The route I always took would only take 4 hours, assuming no traffic problems. When I looked at the route list, I found out why.

Rather than taking us up the NE extension of the PA Turnpike (a rather direct route), the Nav system had calculated a route that would take us over to Harrisburg, PA (further West), and then up Route 81. Rather than follow the instructions of the Nav system, I proceeded to take the route I was familiar with, watching the Nav system recalculate over and over again as I ignored it.

Interestingly enough, once I got onto the NE Extension of the Turnpike, the Nav system magically determined that the route I had planned to take all along was much better; the display immediately changed from a 5-1/2 hour trip to 4 hours.

Now, I figured something might be wrong with the Nav settings, so I went in an looked at the preferences for highways, toll roads, etc. All of the settings were set to "include" as opposed to "minimize", which is what leaves me baffled with why the system made such a major error as this.

Any ideas on this? Am I missing something obvious here?

Brian
Old 08-13-2005, 04:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
Default They all do that

I am happily driving thru the middle of CA on a freeway, pretty much in the middle of nowhere. The nav system told me to get off the freeway and to merge right back on. When I saw the suggestion on the map, I decided to ignore it =)

Usually the nav system will give you 2-3 choices of route, if you let it think for a while. Then you can pick the one that you prefer. Once you confirm the route, it will stick to it unless you completely abandon it and it becomes obvious that a different one would be beneficial.
Old 08-13-2005, 04:34 PM

Default Re: Major oops with A6 Nav system

Under options, try fastest instead of shortest
Old 08-15-2005, 05:10 AM

Default My option was set to fastest

Maybe I should change it to shortest?

Either way, the route I ended up taking was both the fastest and the shortest.

Brian
Old 08-18-2005, 04:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default My nav has done worse

For some reasons when an address is stored the city will eventually change to the name of the county (I'm in NJ) and there must be a similar spot in two different places of the same county because the nav took me about 10 miles away from where I meant to go. Funny enough that place is my office and the route works every day...
Just to confirm I did went again to the same starting point and again the nav took me to the wrong spot.