A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Matte Black Vinyl Wrap?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 04:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Matte Black Vinyl Wrap?

Some might disagree but I always have been a fan of Flat Black paint. Repainting a car is pricey and most importantly it loses its value dramatically if repainted. I came across this. http://www.stickercity.com/3m-matte-...rap-sheet.html Had anyone done it? $800 isn't bad and I can tint my windows, I am sure I can do this.
Old 02-02-2011, 05:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Check this out from NWAS wrapping a 430 Scuderia,

http://www.northwestautosalon.com/20...-430-scuderia/

IMHO I think it looks great, Do it.
Old 02-02-2011, 05:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Dufferdude
Check this out from NWAS wrapping a 430 Scuderia,

http://www.northwestautosalon.com/20...-430-scuderia/

IMHO I think it looks great, Do it.
Looks sick and "blue Ferrari" answered my question if I can do it to a white car. I need to do more research and find 24 free hours. Also, how do they align vinyl, overlap it, or it needs to be connected/alligned within specific spots so it looks like one whole piece?
Old 02-02-2011, 05:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I don't mean to hijack this thread but if a vehicle was totally repainted with the proper paint code how exactly would the value be lowered? At trade in time how many dealerships are going to take time to determine that a car was repainted if there is no overspray on the inside? Just wondering what someone else thinks. Anyone with personal experience?
Old 02-02-2011, 06:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by The_Mizarc
I don't mean to hijack this thread but if a vehicle was totally repainted with the proper paint code how exactly would the value be lowered? At trade in time how many dealerships are going to take time to determine that a car was repainted if there is no overspray on the inside? Just wondering what someone else thinks. Anyone with personal experience?
Any repaint will lower the value of your car. This is because they can't never determine the real reason for the repaint. Most repaint is due to body work. Because of this, every dealer will check your paint for repaint during the trade-in evaluation. They use a meter to determine the thickness of paint. If one panel was repainted, they can tell because the paint on that panel will have a different thickness than the rest of the car. If you repaint the whole car, they will know because the paint will a lot thicker (unless you strip the old paint completely off) than stock.

As for the unique color repaint, it will lower the value because most people avoid modified cars (me included).
Old 02-02-2011, 06:49 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yes, having sold MB, Porsche, Audi & Jaguar for quiet a few years it is very common when looking at a trade-in to inspect the car very carefully for any overspray inside trunk/hood lips & door jambs for overspray.

If the car has been painted on the value is decreased accordingly.

Ken
Old 02-02-2011, 07:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

I second that and even if you do decided to get a "super" paint job it can cost more than the car itself.
That aside, I am actually really thinking about Vinyl. The more I research the more excited I get.
Can anyone help/advice where to get cheap quality Vinyl? Resellers charge too much from what I have researched. I am sure If I get it from "factory-direct" it will be much much cheaper, like this guys $120...
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=376442

Last edited by audia6s; 02-02-2011 at 08:03 PM.
Old 02-03-2011, 04:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by audia6s
I second that and even if you do decided to get a "super" paint job it can cost more than the car itself.
That aside, I am actually really thinking about Vinyl. The more I research the more excited I get.
Can anyone help/advice where to get cheap quality Vinyl? Resellers charge too much from what I have researched. I am sure If I get it from "factory-direct" it will be much much cheaper, like this guys $120...
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=376442
Looks like a 'not so complicated' job that requires a lot of patience. Fortunately, the C6 doesn't have a strange shape so it should be easier than a BMW.
Old 02-03-2011, 11:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by zzz4
Looks like a 'not so complicated' job that requires a lot of patience. Fortunately, the C6 doesn't have a strange shape so it should be easier than a BMW.
It could work out to be quite expensive when it all goes wrong, which I am sure it will. You will go mad trying to get all af the air bubbles out.
These guys are doing it all day long, it looks easy because they know what they are doing.
Old 02-03-2011, 05:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by royclark
It could work out to be quite expensive when it all goes wrong, which I am sure it will. You will go mad trying to get all af the air bubbles out.
These guys are doing it all day long, it looks easy because they know what they are doing.
Once it warms up outside, I am going to try doing the roof. If all goes well, the project will continue.

Quick Reply: Matte Black Vinyl Wrap?