A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Max miles on used c6

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 11:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Max miles on used c6

Looking for a car for the wife. Looking at c5s and b7s. Stubbled on an c6 but w over 200k miles. What miles is just too much for the c6? For Audi? Or any car? Anyone running high miles? Anyone ever purchase n audi w high miles? Looking for enlightenment.
Old 03-17-2011, 06:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I personally wouldn't consider any car, let alone a German one, with over 200K miles for a purchase. Not that they wouldn't last that long, it's just you're gambling with a way too high risk of very expensive items failing. Any serious issues with the engine, transmission, or the drivetrain (especially the quattro system) will wipe out your entire investment.

Case in point, my dad drove his original S-class up to 225K miles. His transmission finally went out. $8K to fix. More than what the car was worth by far.
Old 03-17-2011, 07:21 AM
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LEVEL 10 COULD HAVE HELP HIM,,, THERE HAS BEEN KNOWN ISSUES WITH AUDI TRANSMISSION AND WE HAVE THE PROPER FIX FOR THEM,,
Old 03-17-2011, 10:04 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Agreed - I wouldn't by any care with more than 30 - 50K (and 50K is really on the high end) miles on it. Its simply makes no sense in the short or long run for many reasons, including the ones listed below...

Originally Posted by NR04
I personally wouldn't consider any car, let alone a German one, with over 200K miles for a purchase. Not that they wouldn't last that long, it's just you're gambling with a way too high risk of very expensive items failing. Any serious issues with the engine, transmission, or the drivetrain (especially the quattro system) will wipe out your entire investment.

Case in point, my dad drove his original S-class up to 225K miles. His transmission finally went out. $8K to fix. More than what the car was worth by far.
Old 03-17-2011, 10:23 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Agreed - I wouldn't by any care with more than 30 - 50K (and 50K is really on the high end) miles on it. Its simply makes no sense in the short or long run for many reasons, including the ones listed below...

Originally Posted by NR04

Old 03-17-2011, 12:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

I bough this C6 with 87K on it. before I bought used 1996 A6 (aka C4). I had it for 10 years and 194K miles. in the end it showed a lot of systemic failures in cooling system. expantion tank cracked, hole in radiator, heater valve cracked, heating core leaked, w/pump leaked. but it all started at 175K or so.
Old 03-17-2011, 04:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by 2006SLineA6

Unless you've got a lot of disposable income, only considering cars with less than 50k miles is a bit extreme. It really depends on what you're looking for. Yes, less miles is better, but when you're budgeting what you can spend, sometimes you choose a higher quality car with more miles than a "cheaper" car with less miles.

I hope to some day be at the point where I only need to consider low mileage vehicles, but at this point I'd still rather have higher miles on a car I want than less miles on a car I'm not crazy about. That being said, I wouldn't have much interest in a car with over 200k miles though.
Old 03-17-2011, 06:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i am finding all this valuable... please add more if available

LET me get more detailed...like i said this is a C6 a 2005 so it works out to be 30K or more a year... what if somehow u were certain they were all highway miles... would not transmission and other parts still have more life

AND on top of that u had specific use for the vehicle once purchased..local run about w no intent to resell ..just run it into the ground

would anyone consider it then?

<not being childish..just looking to increase dialog ...and come to a decision >
Old 03-17-2011, 06:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Sounds like you are trying to get an answer that you want
to hear. Dude, 200k Miles is insane. That's 320k Km. Audi repair is super expensive and no matter how, where, and by who, this car was used, something is going to fail much sooner than much later. Like it was stated, if you are on a budged, consider cheaper car or save more money for A6 will less mi. I always been a fan of BMW (sorry guys) and only bought A6 because my wife loves Audis and they only way I was going to buy such a luxurious, expensive, car if it was coved by the warranty simply due to the fact that I can't pay for repair and it also gave me security when buying and knowing that the seller is now hiding anything (mechanical issues) as they are going to be fixed under the warranty.
Old 03-18-2011, 05:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this is how i see it, if it is a 3.2 it might be ok, cause someone uses it to enjoy it.
and but if its a 4.2 they gonna abuse that bitch especially when its a lease.... a 4.2 with hight miles. to me, NONO.... good luck

Quick Reply: Max miles on used c6