A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

MK: Help with headlight adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2021, 05:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

KORUN,
by they font go all the way, do you mean that when you try to adjust the headlights with a screw driver they stop moving at a certain point? Are they at the end of their range? Is the screw driver still spinning but the lights are not moving? If I remember correctly, the adjustment screws move the entire internal headlight assembly. The gears that aim the headlight using the screwdriver are different from the gears that move the headlight when driving. (At least the swiveling adjustment screws are separate, it has been a few years...) It is possible that the new projectors sit differently than the old ones, meaning you would need to open the headlights and re-seat them manually. If the set screws are stripped, likewise, you would need to open the housings to replace them, and I don't believe Audi sells the part, so a scrap-yard would be your best bet for that.
Truly, I think something internally is hitting and causing all of your problems. Run the headlights through a presentation run (you can do this by clearing the fault codes in module #55) while you are standing in front of them, watching them move. Video tape it if you can, and put it here. If you hear any grinding then the projectors are hitting something internally and will require being opened again.

-Larry
Old 10-10-2021, 01:17 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by larry23142314
KORUN,
by they font go all the way, do you mean that when you try to adjust the headlights with a screw driver they stop moving at a certain point? Are they at the end of their range? Is the screw driver still spinning but the lights are not moving? If I remember correctly, the adjustment screws move the entire internal headlight assembly. The gears that aim the headlight using the screwdriver are different from the gears that move the headlight when driving. (At least the swiveling adjustment screws are separate, it has been a few years...) It is possible that the new projectors sit differently than the old ones, meaning you would need to open the headlights and re-seat them manually. If the set screws are stripped, likewise, you would need to open the housings to replace them, and I don't believe Audi sells the part, so a scrap-yard would be your best bet for that.
Truly, I think something internally is hitting and causing all of your problems. Run the headlights through a presentation run (you can do this by clearing the fault codes in module #55) while you are standing in front of them, watching them move. Video tape it if you can, and put it here. If you hear any grinding then the projectors are hitting something internally and will require being opened again.

-Larry
Exactly, they go sideways or vertical up to a certain (not same) point and after that, the cog/screwdriver just keeps spinning. I can hear something like clicking but the headlight beam don't move anymore.
At this point, my left headlight points to where my right headlight beam aims and I can not adjust it manually, maybe the cog is broken or loose or I don't know.

When I installed the new projectors, they were hitting the plastic inside but we figured it out that the cause was the 8mm longer projectors but we fixed that.

I also tried the presentation run, it works as it should (every test seems fine). And I somehow managed to adjust and save the adjustment in VCDS so the last few nights I didn't get any error. Previously, I got the error after 10 min. of driving.

Nevertheless, I want to open the headlights one more (last) time just to check all the wires because I saw that many had similar problem like mine and they had broken/skimmed wires inside the headlight.
But at this point, I don't know what to do with the manual cog, those 2 plastic white ones, for adjusting.