A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

MMI DEAD?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 04:15 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MMI DEAD?

And my problems continue to grow with my 2006 4.2. This is just another problem that has occurred right at the same time my warranty is up (Expired February).

Anyhow it began with my Audio not working, however the MMI Screen still worked just no sound what so ever. I tried doing the reset, and nothing. I read up on the TSB and saw that it could be a problem with the Bose Amp. I went back out to the car later that day and to my surprise everything was back to normal.

Fast forward to 3 weeks later. Everything is good, I parked the car to run an errand and I come back start the car, and about 5 mins later the CD audio begins to cut in and out as if maybe the CD was skipping. I switch from CD to radio and the problem still continues.

I park the car come back to it and now the screen is not turning on. Even with the reset nothing happens. I drive off, and try the reset one more time and it happens to come back on. The next morning I come out and it wont start again, reset doesn't work. Since then it has not come back on.

What could this be?? Do I need to have my MMI replaced? Is there a place online where the parts can be purchased cheaper?

Thanks Guys, I LOVE my car but all these problem at the same time is driving me crazy! I swear Audi programed my car to start having issues right after the warranty ran out! haha
Old 02-26-2010, 05:28 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would pull the battery cable for a few minutes. If that doesn't help, you're on your own.
Old 02-26-2010, 05:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

I would check for fault code in memory then start from there. It can be any thing from MMI display module to MMI control pad, radio, amplifier, DVD Nav, CD changer, satellite radio, telephone preperation unit (bluetooth). Common problem is the telephone unit faulty. I would let a qualified technician checking it out.
Old 02-26-2010, 06:35 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jants13
I would pull the battery cable for a few minutes. If that doesn't help, you're on your own.
Have you done this? Is there any downsides to disconeting the battery (i.e. Having to Have the dealer reset anything?
Old 02-26-2010, 06:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Any chance a MMI software update would help here?
Old 02-26-2010, 06:40 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by oaktreelimb
I would check for fault code in memory then start from there. It can be any thing from MMI display module to MMI control pad, radio, amplifier, DVD Nav, CD changer, satellite radio, telephone preperation unit (bluetooth). Common problem is the telephone unit faulty. I would let a qualified technician checking it out.
Now that you mention it I recall there was a couple times during these episodes that the blue tooth was connecting. Would this cause the mmi screen not to come on at all?? Or rather would any of those problems besides the display unit cause it not to boot up? Is there away to check these fault codes myself?
Old 02-26-2010, 06:42 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by NoVA_A6
Any chance a MMI software update would help here?
That was one my first thoughts but wasn't sure if that would be the case if the whole system was down.
Old 02-26-2010, 10:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by SpeedCrazie
Now that you mention it I recall there was a couple times during these episodes that the blue tooth was connecting. Would this cause the mmi screen not to come on at all?? Or rather would any of those problems besides the display unit cause it not to boot up? Is there away to check these fault codes myself?
I don't think you can check it yourself. You need to have either factory scan tool or at least VAG-COM. VAG-COM may be able to check for fault code but i don't think it can test the MOST bus and pinpoint problem area. These components are very expensive so you should let dealer tech check it out.

OR you can buy MOST bus optical loop then start disconnecting one component at a time and install the MOST bus loop in place of the disconnected component. I would start with the telephone module.
Old 02-27-2010, 03:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by SpeedCrazie
And my problems continue to grow with my 2006 4.2. This is just another problem that has occurred right at the same time my warranty is up (Expired February).

Anyhow it began with my Audio not working, however the MMI Screen still worked just no sound what so ever. I tried doing the reset, and nothing. I read up on the TSB and saw that it could be a problem with the Bose Amp. I went back out to the car later that day and to my surprise everything was back to normal.

Fast forward to 3 weeks later. Everything is good, I parked the car to run an errand and I come back start the car, and about 5 mins later the CD audio begins to cut in and out as if maybe the CD was skipping. I switch from CD to radio and the problem still continues.

I park the car come back to it and now the screen is not turning on. Even with the reset nothing happens. I drive off, and try the reset one more time and it happens to come back on. The next morning I come out and it wont start again, reset doesn't work. Since then it has not come back on.

What could this be?? Do I need to have my MMI replaced? Is there a place online where the parts can be purchased cheaper?

Thanks Guys, I LOVE my car but all these problem at the same time is driving me crazy! I swear Audi programed my car to start having issues right after the warranty ran out! haha
If it helps, your bad experience with Audi is only typical of the models and model years from 1985 to 1990 and 1998 to 2004.

Otherwise, you bad experience with Audi is not typical.

CR, JD P&A and TD confirmed all of the above, making it 100% true.
Old 02-27-2010, 03:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Audi S5 TC
If it helps, your bad experience with Audi is only typical of the models and model years from 1985 to 1990 and 1998 to 2004.

Otherwise, you bad experience with Audi is not typical.

CR, JD P&A and TD confirmed all of the above, making it 100% true.
How would that help?

Quick Reply: MMI DEAD?