A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

MMI/Satellite radio install problem, help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 06:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MMI/Satellite radio install problem, help!

I recently purchased one of the $90 XM radio units and received it today. It seems like a super easy install, but I have a problem. I plugged in the green plug, brown plug and the large black rectangular plug into the XM unit, but I was unable to find the wire for the 4th plug on the back of the XM unit. Just for the heck of it I turned on the ignition and the Satellite radio was not recognized in the MMI. I went back to see if I could find the wire/plug that goes into plug #4, but all I could find was an antenna type thing that consists of a big plastic circle. I tugged lightly on it and it came apart at the plug. It clearly didn't seem to fit in plug #4 (duh), but when I tried to put it back together it wouldn't stick. I then turned on the ignition and the MMI won't work. The screen is black and then the generic "Audi Multi Media Interface" screen comes up intermittently. The MMI doesn't respond to any of the controls and there is a light humming noise. Any idea what I have done? Anyone know what goes in hole/plug #4? TIA!
Old 04-10-2007, 09:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: MMI/Satellite radio install problem, help!

MMI communicates over a fibre optic chain. If you break the chain, it doesn't work. The loop that you took off that you thought was an antenna was actually stub for the extra fibre harness. It keeps the chain intact when you don't have a component plugged into the harness. Long story short, yes you need to plug that harness into your XM unit. I haven't seen the XM units, but I know that the Sirius units come with a protective cap over the fibre port. Take off the cap and the fibre harness plugs right in. If it doesn't, post a photo of what you're seeing. There should be no need to purchase extra wiring equipment.
Old 04-10-2007, 09:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sgroer, any help for Kevin?

I ordered the same unit and it arrived today but I'm out of town on business and won't be back until tomorrow night. If you haven't figured it out then, I'll see if I can figure it out and get back to you. But Samsco is right, you're probably having a hard time figuring out how to plug the fiber optic plug. I hope we don't need a special adapter for it.
Old 04-10-2007, 11:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Got it, thanks!

I wasn't taking the protective cap off. It is all working now although the only issue is that the "extra fibre harness" snaps in, but the two wires are actually floating inside and I can't snap them in. We'll see if it creates a problem. Right now all is good. Thanks again.
Old 04-11-2007, 02:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default Fiber Loop

I'm not sure what you mean by extra fiber harness. All I did was remove the fiber loop, remove the dust cap from the receiver and plugged the fiber into the receiver. The loop piece is now in a drawer in my garage. Sounds like it's working for you, but let me know if you want pics!
-Sean
Old 04-11-2007, 02:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Promotion code XMSCION03

In case you didn't see my post down below, when you activate, do it over th phone and use the code xmscion03. It will give you free activation and 3 months free. Call early in the morning or late at night. You will get an overseas rep that doesn't ask any questions. I just told them the code "came with the unit." No questions asked... the code went right through.
Old 04-11-2007, 05:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: Promotion code XMSCION03

I got this a few hours too late! I activated late last night. Thanks for the tip though.
Old 04-11-2007, 07:19 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: MMI/Satellite radio install problem, help!

Can you fill me in on how you got the deal for $90?

Thanks
Old 04-13-2007, 03:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

karan - xm tuner deal is posted farther down the page by me (4/4/07)
Old 04-13-2007, 03:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Thanks for the code, Sean.

It worked even through the web activation.

Quick Reply: MMI/Satellite radio install problem, help!