A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

MMI shut down

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 05:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MMI shut down

Last night, the radio abruptly cut out and the MMI screen went dark while driving down the road. As well, all the lights around the MMI went dark. I couldn't access anything using the steering wheel controls, either.

I tried several times to turn it back on, unsuccessfully. The splash screen would light up for a few seconds, then go dark again.

Earlier in the evening, I'd been experiencing some on again/off again issues with Bluetooth connectivity, if that's a contributing factor.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Old 04-06-2010, 07:55 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

do you have gateway 500 inside ?
Old 04-07-2010, 05:04 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by flo2203
I can't really say. How can I tell? I've been doing some additional research online, and there's mention of a Dension module, too.

I've got MMI Version 3360, with an Apple connector in the glovebox, and the Bluetooth kit installed from the factory.

Any suggestions you have would be appreciated! Thanks in advance.
Old 04-08-2010, 09:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 163 Likes on 117 Posts
Default Gateway 500

Originally Posted by flo2203

Why do you ask, is this accessory known to cause problems? I am thinking about getting this iPod interface but if it causes problems I want to stay away.
Old 04-12-2010, 12:08 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

i have GW 500 inside, and sometimes my MMI shut down. founded two issues :

1 bad connection on optik line between GW 500 and MMI ( don't let the MMI to start, just trying to do that for short time and then shut down)

2 damage of switch connector from GW500 ( that one to switch between CDC mode and GW 500 mode. MMI start just in CDC and radio mode )
Old 04-12-2010, 12:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Richard_in_SD
I can't really say. How can I tell? I've been doing some additional research online, and there's mention of a Dension module, too.

I've got MMI Version 3360, with an Apple connector in the glovebox, and the Bluetooth kit installed from the factory.

Any suggestions you have would be appreciated! Thanks in advance.
is your "Apple connector in the glovebox" the Audi AMI or the Dension GW 500?
Old 04-12-2010, 02:12 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

The GW 500 has a bypass function. I've never used it, but I've read about it - could it help avoid / debug these issues?
Old 04-13-2010, 07:23 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by pavils
is your "Apple connector in the glovebox" the Audi AMI or the Dension GW 500?
Hi - It's the Audi AMI. I have yet to take the car to the dealership, but I'd like a sense of what I'm looking at, problem-wise. When you start the car, the lights around the MMI area come on, but then go off again, as though there's a glitch in the MMI initialization.

Because of the telephone issues I was having the evening the MMI failed, I suspect it is the Bluetooth module. I'd appreciate any similiar experiences you might have had.

Thanks!
Old 04-13-2010, 10:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Richard_in_SD
Hi - It's the Audi AMI. I have yet to take the car to the dealership, but I'd like a sense of what I'm looking at, problem-wise. When you start the car, the lights around the MMI area come on, but then go off again, as though there's a glitch in the MMI initialization.

Because of the telephone issues I was having the evening the MMI failed, I suspect it is the Bluetooth module. I'd appreciate any similiar experiences you might have had.

Thanks!
Have you tried the MMI 'reboot' sequence outlined in the manual? Disconnected your iPod, too?

When my AMI went bad I had exactly the same *end* symptoms you're describing, until finally the MMI refused to even turn on at all, but I would take that more as an indicator that you've simply got a dead component in the chain of connected components (like your suspicion of the Bluetooth module) vs saying "oh, your AMI is dead, too".

Hopefully you're still under warranty, as this required a trip to the dealer for diagnosis & repair (FOC due to warranty) for me...
Old 04-13-2010, 06:04 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by pavils
Have you tried the MMI 'reboot' sequence outlined in the manual? Disconnected your iPod, too?

When my AMI went bad I had exactly the same *end* symptoms you're describing, until finally the MMI refused to even turn on at all, but I would take that more as an indicator that you've simply got a dead component in the chain of connected components (like your suspicion of the Bluetooth module) vs saying "oh, your AMI is dead, too".

Hopefully you're still under warranty, as this required a trip to the dealer for diagnosis & repair (FOC due to warranty) for me...
Thanks for confirming a similar experience. Yes, it's off to the dealer. I have an extended warranty, so I think I'm good. Cheers.

Quick Reply: MMI shut down