A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

MMI Update Steps

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 10:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MMI Update Steps

My dealer was kind enough to order me the MMI update discs needed to get me from 1190 to 4140. I was looking over the 4140 upgrade guide (attached) and one of the last steps it says to perform software version management-update use SVM action code NA4FK730. I'm not sure what that is.

From everything I have read, the update is pretty straight forward. Just remove all the CD's, plug in a battery charger, and go for it. Is there anything else I should look out for?

I know, it's such a noob question that I'm sure has been asked many times before, I just want to make sure I don't mess this up. I just got the car after all.

Thanks!
Glen
Old 04-29-2009, 12:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by DrCold
My dealer was kind enough to order me the MMI update discs needed to get me from 1190 to 4140. I was looking over the 4140 upgrade guide (attached) and one of the last steps it says to perform software version management-update use SVM action code NA4FK730. I'm not sure what that is.

From everything I have read, the update is pretty straight forward. Just remove all the CD's, plug in a battery charger, and go for it. Is there anything else I should look out for?

I know, it's such a noob question that I'm sure has been asked many times before, I just want to make sure I don't mess this up. I just got the car after all.

Thanks!
Glen
I didn't need anything else and I just went from 11.90 to 41.40.

Just make sure you go from 11.90 -> 33.60 and then 33.60 -> 41.40.

See this thread: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2607361
Old 04-29-2009, 12:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Cool, I did order both updates so I'll be doing 33.60 first and then 41.40 like that post recommmends.

This doesn't seem so bad (famous last words).
Old 04-29-2009, 12:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

I just realized i forgot to attach the PDF i was looking at.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
US MMI 4140.pdf (278.5 KB, 596 views)
Old 04-29-2009, 05:23 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

What was the cost of the update disks? Thanks!
Old 04-30-2009, 08:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The SVM activation code is for audi usa to know what version MMI you are on. the dealer uses that activation code to register and update their systems. now if.... you do the update yourself and not the dealer, then, when you take your car to the dealer for service and they run diagnostics on your vehicle, there might be a little glitch in software versions. dunno what they would say on that one.
Old 04-30-2009, 08:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by AV8TORSADF
What was the cost of the update disks? Thanks!
I actually didn't have to pay for them. The salesman ordered them after I got the part numbers for him and he's going to let me borrow them.

I think he said they are like 10 bucks or something.
Old 04-30-2009, 08:46 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by DrCold
I actually didn't have to pay for them. The salesman ordered them after I got the part numbers for him and he's going to let me borrow them.

I think he said they are like 10 bucks or something.
Thanks for letting me know. I say you scored there with that deal.
Old 04-30-2009, 08:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Well, it would have been better if I would have been smart and had them do the update before taking delivery of the car.

Now I get to try and do an update all by myself. Haha.

Speaking of, I was walking around my apartment looking for an external outlet where I could plug in a battery charger (any recommendations on brand, type, size?), and I couldn't find one. Is there any danger to doing the update with the engine running?
Old 04-30-2009, 08:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by utripn
The SVM activation code is for audi usa to know what version MMI you are on. the dealer uses that activation code to register and update their systems. now if.... you do the update yourself and not the dealer, then, when you take your car to the dealer for service and they run diagnostics on your vehicle, there might be a little glitch in software versions. dunno what they would say on that one.
If got a Vag-com, would it be possible for me to just code the correct information? Or is SVM something else.

Yes, I'm new at this stuff, but I'm a quick learner. I promise.

Quick Reply: MMI Update Steps