A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Mounting a European plate.

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 03:02 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mounting a European plate.

So I just put this European plate mount on my A6. As you can see it is completely smooth, there are no screw holes in either the mount or the plate. So my question is, how the hell do Germans mount their plates? This is an OEM part, and an actual German plate. The entire country can't just be using 3m double-sided tape. I used 3m tape because I was stumped, but is there a better way to mount this thing?

Name:  7WcBj.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  121.1 KB
Old 04-22-2011, 03:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by achmeingott
So I just put this European plate mount on my A6. As you can see it is completely smooth, there are no screw holes in either the mount or the plate. So my question is, how the hell do Germans mount their plates? This is an OEM part, and an actual German plate. The entire country can't just be using 3m double-sided tape. I used 3m tape because I was stumped, but is there a better way to mount this thing?

http://www.europeanplates.com/europe...te-frames.html
Old 04-22-2011, 05:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

The plate simple slides under (2 top 2 bottom) tabs.
Old 04-22-2011, 08:04 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by audia6s
The plate simple slides under (2 top 2 bottom) tabs.
I see no tabs.
Name:  fEtmu.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  16.9 KB
Old 04-22-2011, 10:29 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

In the past when I did European delivery on my BMWs (all 3 were Euro delivery), they had drilled holes in my front bumper to mount the front license plate. What I was told was, if you pleaded to the delivery folks in advance they will be kind enough to use double sticky tape, otherwise, you will have two ugly holes in your front bumper.

btw - your plates are temp ones- numbers on the right in yellow are
dd.
mm.
yy
on when they expire; and the 'D' is the city from where they were issued. just thought I'd share!!

Last edited by am_ver; 04-22-2011 at 11:14 PM.
Old 04-23-2011, 02:50 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by am_ver
In the past when I did European delivery on my BMWs (all 3 were Euro delivery), they had drilled holes in my front bumper to mount the front license plate. What I was told was, if you pleaded to the delivery folks in advance they will be kind enough to use double sticky tape, otherwise, you will have two ugly holes in your front bumper.

btw - your plates are temp ones- numbers on the right in yellow are
dd.
mm.
yy
on when they expire; and the 'D' is the city from where they were issued. just thought I'd share!!
Yeah I lived in Düsseldorf when I was a kid. I guess the tape will work for now. I just feel the first high pressure car wash I use will destroy it.
Old 04-23-2011, 10:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

There are a couple of euro plate holder versions. The one you have is the cheaper one. The germans here just screw into that one. The one I have is different. You have to remove my plate holder and slide the plate into it then reinstall. This is the best pic I have of it at the moment...
Here, googled it: http://blog.customeuropeanplates.com...license-plate/

Last edited by Nedrager; 04-23-2011 at 10:51 AM.
Old 04-23-2011, 11:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Also the plate you have is a seasonal plate from Düsseldorf, normally found on cars that aren't driven year round. The top 2 numbers indicate the months in which it's valid, the bottom number is the year. The blue sticker is the inspection sticker, blue is valid for 2000, with the month punched out it was inspected. Plates come in sets, you have the front plate. The rear has another registration seal on it along with another inspection sticker... just some FYI

Name:  7WcBj.jpg
Views: 247
Size:  121.1 KB

Last edited by Nedrager; 04-23-2011 at 11:03 AM.
Old 04-23-2011, 02:56 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Nedrager
Also the plate you have is a seasonal plate from Düsseldorf, normally found on cars that aren't driven year round. The top 2 numbers indicate the months in which it's valid, the bottom number is the year. The blue sticker is the inspection sticker, blue is valid for 2000, with the month punched out it was inspected. Plates come in sets, you have the front plate. The rear has another registration seal on it along with another inspection sticker... just some FYI
Interesting, I was only about 10-11 when I lived in Germany..but we were in Heidelberg and Düsseldorf for a year each. We had 3 company cars so I have a bunch of these plates. I'll have to look for a regular plate in some of my boxes. Thanks for the info.
Old 05-26-2012, 11:41 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Followed listed instructions, 10min install. Star head screwdriver, frame, eBay ordered plate

Before
Name:  6ee423bc.jpg
Views: 1374
Size:  26.7 KB

After
Name:  799a06cb.jpg
Views: 1489
Size:  17.9 KB

Quick Reply: Mounting a European plate.