A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

My new A6 2.0 TFSI w/ 20" S8 rims

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 06:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 912 Likes on 746 Posts

Originally Posted by DirtyVegasTT
IMHO your car now lost its natural dimensions and looks like a kid playing dressup. It needs to come down to the ground so it will once again look like a normal sedan. Bigger is only better if it works and looks better... else it reminds me ghetto cars with wheels larger than the car can fit.
+1
Old 05-09-2010, 07:42 AM
RDD
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I personally don't think it looks THAT bad but would look better with a drop but then again most cars will look better with a drop after they come from the factory.
Old 05-09-2010, 08:02 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Car looks good but its far far far too high .. As everyone else has said, get it lowered and it will look mint ..

We dont see too many facelift A6 2.0TFSI's here .. a rare occurance

Chris
Old 05-09-2010, 11:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You have a good attitude about it and sounds like you know what you're doing. Keep us posted on the progress!

Originally Posted by marcus.sharks
Thanx for the replies!

I appreciate all opinions and I do agree that the car is a tad too high - it was a LOT worse on 17", I tell you that... It looked even higher, as I could fit four and a half fingers from the tire to the fender.

The tires will be (they already are) 255/35/20 and, yes, they are a bit bigger than the original set. Those tires are the lowest profile I could find here and they "look" (well, they are, lol) smaller than the RS6 with 275/35/20 at the dealer.

The 30 profile would be the optimum size - I totally agree.

This is the stock suspension, not the sports version - Iīm positive the little differece it would make would be enough. I just got the car, so I expect it to lower by itself - all my other cars did, anyways, so I should expect this one to do the same, right??

Finally, I could get lower springs/suspension kit. Donīt worry, itīs a work in progress and it will keep getting better!

The 2.0 TFSI stock is OK in this car - not very exciting in terms of performance, but great in mileage. Although it is not a V6, it does sound pretty mean

Iīm very impressed by the interior finishing - def. a lot better than the A5 or the 2.0t Q5.

MMI system looked very easy to use... I found it pretty intuitive and Iīve cycled through all things, I believe. Easier to use than the iDrive in the 5 series we have at the Embassy.

More than just mere looks, the car feels great too! Couldnīt be happier with it!
Old 05-09-2010, 12:55 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanx again for all the replies - all advices accounted for.

This is a work in progress, as I said, so I still want to retrofit a thing or 2 (HDD NAV, for instance) and some performance upgrades like ECU and springs, maybe brakes.

Usually the firts things I do are rim replacement and drop. That, as RDD said, works well for pretty much anything, but the drop could take a while - specially if it voids warranty/insurance - I still have to check both.

One thing that I missed in this car from the previous Q5 we had reserved - besides the 3.2 enine, NAV, quattro, etc... - was the tiptronic steering wheel function, but Iīm quite excited as itīs not difficult to retrofit. In Sharjah (another Emirate) thereīs a store full of VagCom parts and if I find anything interesting there, Iīll let you all know.

I canīt remember now the offset for those S8 rims, but I do recall seing on a website that the A8/S8 shared the same specs, in terms of rims, with the A6. The RS6 has diff offset, if Iīm not mistaken.

The 2.0T is not sold in the US and I understand. Itīs a cultural thing and I do expect to see more 4 cylinder cars there - specially T or supercharged -, as most places around the world.

Iīm learning a lot from here and other forums, so I might ask some questions along the way!

Cheers!
Old 05-09-2010, 02:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by marcus.sharks
I canīt remember now the offset for those S8 rims
The offset should be 52..if im not mistaken. I am a fan of these wheels and want to get them for my 2005 A6. I have been waiting to actually see them on an C6 and am very glad you posted. I am stuck on which size to go.. Depending on the day (OR THE WHEEL DESIGN) sometimes 19s look a bit small and sometimes 20s look too big.

BTW Vegas TT i think your car is super hot looking .. seriously I think it strikes a nice balance...not ordinary but not spaced out tuner. good job
Old 05-09-2010, 03:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default quick photo edit drop

advance notice THIS IS NOT PHOTOSHOP I just quickly used MS Paint to just get an idea of how a drop would look like. This is not exact science ...just a point of reference. PLUS this pic still has the meaty S8 tires.
IMO for a C6 19s may be the max on S8 wheel design but 20s matched w/ low profile tires on the RS4 design seem great...the difference could be how on the S8 design the spokes flare out to the outer lip and maybe makes it visually look larger. The RS4 conservatively just slims out straight to the rim edge.
Attached Images  

Last edited by MainlandMig; 05-09-2010 at 03:23 PM.
Old 05-12-2010, 02:41 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

@ MainlandMig

Thank you for the "photoshop"! Itīs gonna look really nice after the drop

My tires are smaller than the S8 (275/35/20) - not by much, though.

I also tried 2 other sets of 20" A8 rims and they looked a LOT less aggressive (I wouldīn go as far as calling them dull, but very close) - I didnīt like them all that much, neither did my wife :P

Those were the rims:

I suppose you are correct - the shape of the rims have a great deal on them looking oversized, but then again, those S8 rims were taken out on the same day the car was bought, whereas the A8 rims were used for at least some months/years...

It was a no-brainer, if you ask me - specially because we gave up the A5 to buy the A6 and we wanted the sportier look the rims provided.

Really difficult to find Audi OEM rims over here and ordering them from the deales would have cost me around 10k USD - I donīt think itīs worth this kind of money...