A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Nav Install

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2010, 12:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nav Install

I have a question on Nav install and what needs to be done. I called my Audi dealer and asked if I buy an Audi Nav Unit can it just be pretty much plug and play if the car does not have Nav now. I was told if the car does not have Nav from factory it is not pre wired for it. They said I would have to buy the unit and wiring would have to be run for the unit and then re program the car. They said I am looking at a couple grand for a Nav install.

Is this true? My hopes were the car is pre wired for it and I can just plug the unit I buy in and have the car re programed for Nav.

The other question is if I buy a blue tooth Ipod will it work just like the bluetooth phone set up?

Thanks
Old 09-25-2010, 12:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by bud4ya
I have a question on Nav install and what needs to be done. I called my Audi dealer and asked if I buy an Audi Nav Unit can it just be pretty much plug and play if the car does not have Nav now. I was told if the car does not have Nav from factory it is not pre wired for it. They said I would have to buy the unit and wiring would have to be run for the unit and then re program the car. They said I am looking at a couple grand for a Nav install.

Is this true? My hopes were the car is pre wired for it and I can just plug the unit I buy in and have the car re programed for Nav.

The other question is if I buy a blue tooth Ipod will it work just like the bluetooth phone set up?

Thanks
You know what I have the same question but my 2005 A6 is pre wire already, if I buy a unit from a 2008 A6 will work or I have to do something in the computer so it can work? if some want can help us...
Old 09-25-2010, 02:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 163 Likes on 117 Posts

The way the electronics work in the car I suspect that the wiring exists for the Nav unit but that the antenna wiring and roof mounted sharkfin antenna are missing. I suspect that installation of these parts are difficult now that the headliner is installed.
Old 09-25-2010, 04:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by SchwarzS6
The way the electronics work in the car I suspect that the wiring exists for the Nav unit but that the antenna wiring and roof mounted sharkfin antenna are missing. I suspect that installation of these parts are difficult now that the headliner is installed.
In my case I have the sharkfin and I have a couple cable around I have like a 3 or 4 wire plug another that look like 1 or 2 cable plug and 1 cable plug that is green and 1 cable plug that is blue. but my question is its plug and play if I have the wires?
Old 09-25-2010, 05:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

I have the shark fin like antenna. I looked in the trunk at the compartment on the left and there are a handful of wires there that are wrapped up and look like they would plug into something.

When the lady at the dealer said it is not pre wired I am just wondering if she was wrong. My guess would be they come pre wired and the antenna on the top the radio uses the nav does also.

I was hoping I could buy a unit mount it in the rack the wires are at in the trunk and have the car computer updated.

I am sure there has to be guys here that installed Nav on their car that did not have it installed from factory?

Thanks
Old 09-27-2010, 11:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most likely you need to buy Navigation drive + disc, optical kit, antenna cable and electrical harness. The extra wiring harness at the left of the trunk is for satellite radio. If you don't want the Sat radio, you can use it for navigation system. If so, you still need to buy a short antenna cable to connect from navigation drive to NAV antenna connector at the left C-pillar.
Old 09-27-2010, 11:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Ty I would not use Sat Radio but that sounds like a lot of work and money.

Originally Posted by oaktreelimb
Most likely you need to buy Navigation drive + disc, optical kit, antenna cable and electrical harness. The extra wiring harness at the left of the trunk is for satellite radio. If you don't want the Sat radio, you can use it for navigation system. If so, you still need to buy a short antenna cable to connect from navigation drive to NAV antenna connector at the left C-pillar.
Old 09-27-2010, 04:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

This is what I found on internet:
http://www.kufatec.de/shop/product_i...Plus---2G.html

do not forget to convert GBP-USD.
Old 09-27-2010, 06:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thank you so much I see with need some kind of code...for the system..
Old 09-27-2010, 08:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I did the Nav install on my car. You can find the kit on ebay or go the kufatec route (I went with ebay). basically you need the DVD player and the wiring harness. Putting the DVD into the slot in the truck is not hard. You then need to run the cable to the C-pillar which has a wire coming from the antenna on the roof (US models have the antenna and we don't need to drill a hole to install the antenna). The next step is find a power for the DVD player - this is done by running a wire to the other side of the trunk where the fusebox is located. The last part is to incorporate the Nav into the fiber optics system - this means disconnecting one cable and insert it into the nav and the output of the nav going into the original cable.

No coding was required after this for the nav to work; no going to dealer or making any changes using VAGCOM - I really like the audi nav - being built in and not having to deal with the tom-tom kinda devices with wires hanging all over (the other day I saw a bentley with a gps mounted with a suction cup - what a shame).

Last edited by am_ver; 09-27-2010 at 08:16 PM.

Quick Reply: Nav Install