A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Nav Install

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2016, 01:21 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dear All,

I'm trying to install Navi in my 2008 Audi A6, as I've been researching a lot and i dont see any images or video showing the process, does anyone have any pictures or video of the installation process?

I found the wiring harness and the Navi DVD Rom on Audi USA site and both are about $500, some people mentioned that the 2008 A6 comes pre-wired which I took out the Rack this morning and I did not see any extra cables laying around... another question is am ver mentioned that there is a wire coming from the sharkfin which i read somewhere else as well , which C Pillar right or left ?

thanks in advance
Old 11-07-2016, 09:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 202 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by curved09
Dear All,

I'm trying to install Navi in my 2008 Audi A6, as I've been researching a lot and i dont see any images or video showing the process, does anyone have any pictures or video of the installation process?

I found the wiring harness and the Navi DVD Rom on Audi USA site and both are about $500, some people mentioned that the 2008 A6 comes pre-wired which I took out the Rack this morning and I did not see any extra cables laying around... another question is am ver mentioned that there is a wire coming from the sharkfin which i read somewhere else as well , which C Pillar right or left ?

thanks in advance
Installing an ami unit or navigation into the mmI 2g system on the c6 chassis

How do I add an aux jack/ipod/USB music port to my radio question seems to come up fairly frequently, here's a write up I saw. What you will need for the ami:
1. Radio removal keys
They look like this

2. Optical/MOST ami unit from an a6, a8, or q7. Part number 4E0 035 785 X (X is just a revision number, it doesn’t really matter what letter is here)
3. Ami cable of your choice, aux, ipod, or USB.
4. A car running the latest MMI software version

You optical connectors will look like this:
Attachment 103172

Time required: 45 minutes

Difficulty: 4/10

The entertainment system in our card runs via an optical loop for high fidelity data transfer. Think of it like a toslink cable on your home theater. One major difference being that if you remove a piece of the puzzle, the whole system will freak out because you have caused a break I'm the loop. Because of this, you have to use a specific AMI, and they are typically more expensive than the ones found in the A4, A3, etc.

AMI install

The first step is to open your glovebox and insert the radio keys into the slots in the bottom corners of the CD changer. It’s fairly straight forward, but your CD changer may be stubborn

Next you are going to want to remove the black plastic access panel under and behind the glovebox and remove the optical, and power connectors from the CD changers. Be VERY careful with the optical connector, as it is easily damaged by dust or scratching.

Panel to take off

panel off

back of AMI. Note the power and MOST cables.

Now, pull on the keys to remove the CD changer from the glovebox.

Once your changer is out, slide the AMI unit into it’s place in the glovebox.

Now just hook everything up, and restart the MMI system. The computer should recognize the AMI unit and it will appear instead of the CD changer under sources

install:

Items needed:
Torx Screwdriver set
Audi DVD Drive for optical system, MOST compatible. (If you are patient, you can get these on eBay for ~$150)

Time: 45 minutes

Difficulty: 5/10

Similar to the AMI, this unit is optical. As far as I know, some C6s are pre wired for options, they just don't have those options installed. This depends on the country the car was intended for I have been informed.

First step is to remove the left panel in your trunk, where the MMI control and if you have them, the satellite receiver and Bose amp are.

If you remove the satellite receiver, you should remove the cage for it as well. It's fairly straight forward, just unbuckle it from the MOST harness and power adapter, then slide the DVD drive in and plug it into the MOST connector and power lead.

You will also need to hook up the GPS antenna, which is the shark fin on your roof. Your car may or may not have this. If you don't have it you can get a generic FAKRA antenna online, get one on ebay for around $20 (
Amazon Amazon
). The antenna needs to be placed in a place that isn't surrounded by metal (IE the trunk) so it's best to put it in the cabin somewhere. I tucked mine under the pillar in the small rear window on the drivers side.

Last step is inserting the actual navigation DVD.

This is what therack will end up looking like. It'll be easier if you don't have the BOSE amp to hook everything up. Take note of the FAKRA connectors for the satellite unit that have been disconnected. These go to the sharkfin on the roof.

Last edited by raj99; 03-08-2017 at 12:42 PM.
Old 01-17-2019, 08:06 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

quick question if I replace my mmi3g thats on emmapp if I replace the unit will everything work back. I erase everything on my mmi
Old 01-17-2019, 10:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by bud4ya
I have a question on Nav install and what needs to be done. I called my Audi dealer and asked if I buy an Audi Nav Unit can it just be pretty much plug and play if the car does not have Nav now. I was told if the car does not have Nav from factory it is not pre wired for it. They said I would have to buy the unit and wiring would have to be run for the unit and then re program the car. They said I am looking at a couple grand for a Nav install.

Is this true? My hopes were the car is pre wired for it and I can just plug the unit I buy in and have the car re programed for Nav.

The other question is if I buy a blue tooth Ipod will it work just like the bluetooth phone set up?

Thanks
By getting Audi nav unit.byou will end up with apiece of 10 year old technology 10 year old maps and no reliable traffic updates. And it costs a fortune and you need all these questions answered. If you just use your smart phone and one of the free map software you would get up to date hardware with up to date maps with real time traffic updates and whole bunch of other s5uff absolutely free .All you need is the phone holder. Francly I placed my phone over the mmi screen for this very reason. I use Waze and Google maps for online driving .I use mapfactoe when I am in foregn country or do not have cell reception .All these are free and way more accurate then Audi maps.