A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Need help with Sunroof Rattle/Noise...

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 06:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just an update on what was repaired for those who might be experiencing the same problem I had. (2005 C6 4.2Q with 60k miles)

I ordered a new sunroof weather strip from GenuineVWAUDIparts.com (MSRP:$100, Discounted price $72) due to the fact that I have excessive windnoise coming from the sunroof which could be minimized but not diminished by adjusting the sunroof.

Removed right and left interior trim(easy slide off) and then sunroof glass by releasing 6 screws (3 on each side) using T-25 torx.

Realized that the middle rear of the old weatherstrip is disconnected with about 1mm of empty space but the new weatherstrip is totally connected all around.

Tried to remove the old weatherstrip but everytime I applied force to the old weatherstrip, I could feel that it was tearing on the edges little by little. Took about 5~10 minutes to remove the weatherstrip all round.

The weather strip is not attached by pins or any kind of adhesive, just a deep groove that you have push in.

After removing the old weatherstrip, I tested out the new one by hanging it around the sunroof glass and it tightly fits the way it is supposed to.

Then started inserting the grooves with an angled longnose. Took about 20~25 minutes as the grooves are pretty tight.

Re-inserted the sunroof glass to the car, let it freeplay and I could realize that there is a big difference between the old one and the new one.

For the old one, it was pretty difficult to seal off both ends at the same time with a lot of freeplay but with the new weatherstrip, the sunroof glass itself became a tight fit in the roof.

Adjusted the glass as per "chuckee98" suggestions of the leading edge to be below the surface and the trailing edge to be above the surface of the roof.

Took the car for a testdrive on the highway for up to 75mph and voila~~~ NO WIND NOISE AT ALL!!!

Cost of sunroof windnoise repair.

Sunroof weatherstrip : $72
Shipping : $7.50
Torx T-25 : $?.??
Weekend Labor : $??

Windnoise problem solved for $79.50
Old 09-29-2021, 10:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KevinGary
Take a look in the TSB library in my link. In the interior rattle section you will see the TSB describing your problem and the necessary repair.
Hi KevinGary are you still active on here? Hope you are doing well. If you are still around could you please help me with the link to the "TSB Library" so I can also take a look at the interior rattle section? I cannot see a link anywhere. Thanks I would appreciate it!
Old 09-29-2021, 03:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 924 Likes on 756 Posts

Originally Posted by JamesAudiA6007
Hi KevinGary are you still active on here? Hope you are doing well. If you are still around could you please help me with the link to the "TSB Library" so I can also take a look at the interior rattle section? I cannot see a link anywhere. Thanks I would appreciate it!
Wish I could help, but the TSB library was shut down a few years back.
Old 09-30-2021, 03:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 403 Likes on 334 Posts

Watch this from 13:40.

​​​​​​​
Old 10-01-2021, 08:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Hi KevinGary, thanks for getting back to me and letting me know about the TSB library.

Hi Kelisko, thanks for linking your video. So, when I purchased the car, nearly 4 years ago now, I found a couple of springs in the drivers side door bin. All these years I wondered what those springs were from. And watching your video I recognized them immediately!!

I'm not sure what I did with those springs, maybe I ended up throwing them out thinking they were nothing to do with the car at all, but sure enough, I just shined a strong flashlight into the sunroof glass from above and there are the broken spring hooks just as described in your video.

For some context, I have been bugged by a plasticy rattling noise for months. It sounded to me like it was coming maybe from the front passenger seat, or centre console, or maybe the front passenger door. It was hard to pin-point. Recently I discovered the rattle is cured by manually closing the sunroof sliding interior cover; pulling it all the way forwards. And so, my attention was turned to the sunroof being the cause of the rattle...

...and so here we are.

I can't now recall how many of those springs were in the door bin. I think at least 2. So I guess that leaves 1 or 2 more likely rattling around in the roof as described in the video...

On a similar note; does that mean, if the springs and everything were intact, that it would no longer be possible to manually open and close the sliding sunroof interior headliner cover? I guess it would slide forward and back by itself along with the glass roof when it opened and closed?

Thanks again for your help, much much appreciated!!!

Old 10-01-2021, 11:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 403 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by JamesAudiA6007
On a similar note; does that mean, if the springs and everything were intact, that it would no longer be possible to manually open and close the sliding sunroof interior headliner cover? I guess it would slide forward and back by itself along with the glass roof when it opened and closed?
The springs come into play when you are tilting the sunroof. If the headliner is shut, as the sunroof tilts, it also tilts. Without the springs, the headliner would not bend as designed and may cause blockage in certain situations.

I don't think the springs do anything when you are sliding the sunroof or headliner back and forth when the sunroof is flat.

In case you want to fix this, I have shown in the video the part number for the repair kit which contains revised hooks, bolts and springs after explaining the whole spring stuff. Watch the video from the beginning to see how to remove the glass. It's not difficult. Check out the end to see how to install the glass back.

Here is a detailed thread I posted back in 2016 showing how I fixed this: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-...-more-2909186/
Old 10-07-2021, 06:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for such detailed help Kelisko, your videos are excellent, such great help! It looks like the sunroof kit is still available in your link to ECS Tuning.

I wish now I had not discarded those springs, if I had found 4 I could be sure none were stuck in the roof!! I will have to try your trick of hard braking to see if any come forward..

Thanks again, I'll let you know how I get on!