A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Need some info STAT!

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 06:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some info STAT!

Anyone running 20x9 inch wheels? Are you lowered? What ET? I have new 20x9 with 265/30s. They sent me ET 35, I just don't think it's going to work if I lower the car(H&R coilovers in the mail). The shop I got them from failed to ask me for an ET and just sent 35. They have ET 45 as well, currently are checking to see if they have any ET 45 so I can swap out. Worst case I can put a spacer on ET 45 if it touches suspension...right. The question:

Does anyone have any experience that can shed some light on my situation? Opinions? Commentary?
Old 08-18-2010, 07:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Nedrager
Anyone running 20x9 inch wheels? Are you lowered? What ET? I have new 20x9 with 265/30s. They sent me ET 35, I just don't think it's going to work if I lower the car(H&R coilovers in the mail). The shop I got them from failed to ask me for an ET and just sent 35. They have ET 45 as well, currently are checking to see if they have any ET 45 so I can swap out. Worst case I can put a spacer on ET 45 if it touches suspension...right. The question:

Does anyone have any experience that can shed some light on my situation? Opinions? Commentary?
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2788939
Old 08-18-2010, 08:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Looked at that. His stock wheels are ET 52 if I remember correctly. 20x9 ET 50 works fine, ET 40 is super tight in the back. If my measurements are close... ET 38 up front with a 9 inch rim will be tight too. Without stretch on the tires he'll be bending sheet metal. IMHO. My real curiousity is how the suspension sits after lowering. The suspension moves in an arc, so does it pull in a little as you lower it? How much, 2-3mm or more? Can I play with the camber to tuck without burning thru tires?
Old 08-18-2010, 10:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Looked at that. His stock wheels are ET 52 if I remember correctly. 20x9 ET 50 works fine, ET 40 is super tight in the back. If my measurements are close... ET 38 up front with a 9 inch rim will be tight too. Without stretch on the tires he'll be bending sheet metal. IMHO. My real curiousity is how the suspension sits after lowering. The suspension moves in an arc, so does it pull in a little as you lower it? How much, 2-3mm or more? Can I play with the camber to tuck without burning thru tires?
Dirty Vegas tt runs h&r springs with 20x9 et40 iirc. Yes he says sometimes he rubs. A et 38 with a 8.5 in the front will run fine. A nine and yes it will be tight. Also remember in the front the inner lip can be rolled in with ease. It has that inside v lip which just needs to be pushed up. The back you can gain some clearance by removing the sound deading material by the lip of the inner fender. I just posted a thread here. I have pics up of my car with 20x9.5 et 50 and 20x8.5 et 38. I am going to run spacers because I WANT it to fit tight. The tires on the rears are 265/30/20. And I am sitting a half inch lower than the springs will bring you.

I would go with the et 45 if you can get them. If they sit to far in you can add spacers.

The et 35 will never fit especailly in a 9 Maybe if you ran a 235 tire or something but then your messing with the fact that this is such a heavy car. For safety reasons on the min you want 255s under there. And 255s with a extra high load rating.
Old 08-19-2010, 02:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Well... I went down to the shop today and we did some testing. Car on a body lift, 20s on the car, old steel wheel flat under the right front and left rear... lower car. Suspesion compresses fully on wheels with steelies under 'em. THEY"LL FIT! There will be some rolling of the front fender and a trim of the liner in the rear but they'll fit. And by the way it looks HOT! Now, if my coilovers would hurry up and get here... I'm getting impatient!
Old 08-19-2010, 03:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

I dont understand the steelie part?

I also dont know how your clearing everything. You might want to actually put the wheels on and drive the car before getting to exicted.

This pic is my car with a 20x8.5 et 38. The car is on a hill so its 3/4 of a inch lower on flat ground. These rims have a 245 on them. So your 3mm pushed off the hub more. Then the rim is .5 wider. If you plan on running anything bigger than a 255 I think its going to rub. Who knows though try it out and please let us know.

Old 08-19-2010, 03:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Well... I went down to the shop today and we did some testing. Car on a body lift, 20s on the car, old steel wheel flat under the right front and left rear... lower car. Suspesion compresses fully on wheels with steelies under 'em. THEY"LL FIT! There will be some rolling of the front fender and a trim of the liner in the rear but they'll fit. And by the way it looks HOT! Now, if my coilovers would hurry up and get here... I'm getting impatient!
Ohh and for the coilovers. Make sure you get a good 10mm allen driver. This is how you adjust the rear height but its pretty hard to turn. I snapped a 10mm driver already. Also make sure you get the anti seize coating to spray the threads on the front down. This will prevent the collars from cross threading next time its adjusted. I have had this happen before and basically the body of the coilover is ruined if even a small speck of gravel is on the threads.
Old 08-19-2010, 03:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by TwoSnails
I dont understand the steelie part?

I also dont know how your clearing everything. You might want to actually put the wheels on and drive the car before getting to exicted.

This pic is my car with a 20x8.5 et 38. The car is on a hill so its 3/4 of a inch lower on flat ground. These rims have a 245 on them. So your 3mm pushed off the hub more. Then the rim is .5 wider. If you plan on running anything bigger than a 255 I think its going to rub. Who knows though try it out and please let us know.

We put old steelie wheels under the opposite corners of the car... so when you lower on the lift those two tires get compressed fully. It be 20x9 ET35 with 265/30s. We did a 60mm compression on the front, it's tight but it should clear. I'll have to roll the lip up front and trim the liner out back but it should go down and fill out the wheelwell nice but supertight. When my coilovers show up I'll start cranking out the pics...
Old 08-19-2010, 03:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

The coilovers will lower it a min of 1.2 inches. And I doubt this. I mean your really hanging on threads to put it that high. So if you compressed your stock suspension to be 1.2 inches lower than stock ride height, and it clears, you will be ok. I am sure there will be some massaging which, I also, know I have to do.
Old 08-19-2010, 06:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Just got word that my coilovers will be here tomorrow... this weekend will be busy. I need to charge to camera and buy some beer. I've done more than my share of static drops on VWs and Audis, any special notes for a coilover install?

When we were testing we compressed both front and rear just over 2.2in. At that level everything is tight (like virgin tight!) but will clear, with a little massage on the lip and fender liner. I think it'll sit on that fine line between bad *** and sheetmetal damage... we'll see.

Quick Reply: Need some info STAT!