A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

New A6 with S-Line or Adjustable suspension?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2005, 05:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New A6 with S-Line or Adjustable suspension?

What is everyone opinion on going with a S-line package or the Adjustable Suspension. I live in the Chicago Metro area and we do get some possible heavy snow. This is the final decision I need to make to order my new A6.
Old 08-10-2005, 05:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: New A6 with S-Line or Adjustable suspension?

I got the air suspension b/c I live in NYC and don't want to deal with a firm sport suspension once the winter destroys the city's streets.
Old 08-10-2005, 05:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I would go with the adjustable suspension

Yes, the S Line looks better than the base A6. But if you live in the northern 2/3 or 3/4 of the country (which you do living in Chicago and which I do living on Long Island), the adjustable suspension is far more practical with the adjustable ground clearance (I believe the lift mode gives the car SUV matching or exceeding ground clearance) which makes the car much more driveable in deep snow. Of course with the horrible roads we have here on LI and in New York City, the adjustable suspension will ride far smoother (very smooth overall; I don't know how the roads are in Chicago as I have never been there) than the sport suspension and even the standard suspension. Plus, the adjustable suspension will handle just as good and sporty as or better and sportier than the sport suspension and handle much better and much sportier than the standard suspenion.
Old 08-10-2005, 07:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default I agree with the members below ... I would go for the adjustable suspension which BTW I didn't know

was available ...

Is this similiar to what I had in my Allroad with the different height settings ?
Old 08-10-2005, 11:13 AM

Default Re: New A6 with S-Line or Adjustable suspension?

I've had a 2006 A6 with adjustable air suspension for about 3 weeks now, and, honestly, its not really worth it. The difference between dynamic (lowest setting - 4.1 inches) and lift (highest setting - 5.3 inches) is not significant, and I can't notice it unless I look at the wheel gap. The firmness of the dynamic mode is no where near that of a regular sport suspension, though it is a little sportier than the comfort setting (4.7 inches). My opinion is that its better than the regular suspension, but not worth the extra two grand plus (and the headache of future repairs). The lift mode is good for snow but little else, and the dynamic mode is okay for the twisties but the S-line would be better (but much harsher ride otherwise).
Old 08-10-2005, 01:43 PM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 517 Likes on 452 Posts
Default Or wait for Air Suspension Sport like the A8?

I think the A8 sport air suspension drops it like another 20mm in every mode, but it might be the best of both worlds...will they make it for the A6? Who knows? I would think so since it is on the A8. Or you could VAG it and drop it the 20mm yourself.
Old 08-11-2005, 05:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: Or wait for Air Suspension Sport like the A8?

In addition to lowering the A6's non sport adaptive electronic air suspension by 20mm (which is 1-1.5 inches I believe) with the VAG-com, you could also order the more rigid air springs for the A6's adaptive electronic air suspension and you would have a full adaptive electronic air sport suspension on the A6, all without voiding the warranty since all modifications would be done with Audi OEM parts and systems and, most likely, by Audi trained technicians at the dealer. I believe that the S6 and RS 6 will be available with the adaptive electronic air sport suspension from the factory, but I am not 100% sure. If this is the case, the adaptive electronic air sport suspension in the RS 6 will most likely differ significantly from the adaptive electronic air sport suspension in the S6 as the adaptive electronic air sport suspension in the RS 6 will most likely incorporate Audi's famous hydraulic dynamic ride control system. But I am not 100% sure on this either. If the S6 and RS 6 are infact available with the adaptive electronic air sport suspension, then the base A6 and A6 S Line will most likely be available with the adaptive electronic air sport suspension when the S6 comes out next year for MY2007. Of course, I am not 100% sure about this either. What I am 100% sure about is that the adaptive electronic air suspension and adaptive electronic air sport suspension both have equally massive front and rear solid (i.e. not hollow) stabilizer bars that are just as big as or a little bigger than the front and rear solid (again, not hollow) stabilizer bars with the basic sport suspension.
Old 08-11-2005, 10:13 AM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Default Cool. A lot of nice info in that post. Thanks.

Makes my possible future decision a little more favorable towards the air suspension.
Old 08-11-2005, 12:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Your welcome

Of course, the fixed ground clearance of the lift mode and maximum ground clearance of the automatic mode can also be lowered or raised with the VAGcom. The ground clearance of the comfort mode can also be lowered and raised with the VAGcom. Since the VAGcom is an OEM system for all vehicles in the Volkswagen/Audi Group, these modifications would not void the warranty.
Old 08-11-2005, 02:09 PM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Default Cool. What I'm actually most interested in is the sportiness of it.

Coming from an S4 I'm used to some decent handling with some compromise in ride quality. Although I know the A6 is not meant to be a sports car I would still like some sport style handling characteristics with an option to go for comfort/quality ride if I want. Standard A6 suspension is out of the question. Sport suspension is a possibility, but I'm locked into possibly too harsh of a ride quality. It sounds like the air suspension, or slightly modified air suspension, may fit the bill perfectly.

Quick Reply: New A6 with S-Line or Adjustable suspension?