A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

The New A6 for Techno-Geeks

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2004, 04:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The New A6 for Techno-Geeks

I stopped by the dealer today for a "tour" of the MMI and other tech functions on the new A6 (I'd driven it twice, but not had the opportunity to play with the toys). I think I've seen everything now except for the tire pressure monitoring system and navigation system (the DVD was not installed, though the car was prepped for it). Everything seems well laid out, and I had no problem navigating the menus or figuring out what they meant.

As to voice command, it is relatively robust. While you cannot speak an address, you can speak a "shortcut" for a pre-programmed destination (e.g., "home" or "work"). You can also use voice commands to zoom, start and stop route guidance, bring up various details, etc.

On the audio side, voice command is more of a gimmick, since there are thumbwheels and an echo in the instrument cluster making most of the audio functions pretty easy. However, it looked like you could name presets, change channels, or even specify a particular frequency ("one-oh-one point one fm"). I should note that the salesman has a distinct accent, but the car had no problems (though it did get confused by our ongoing conversation in the background).

I also asked about XM Nav Traffic, as in the RL. The salesman's comment was that I don't want it. In any event, both Sirius and XM have dedicated traffic channels in major markets, and I'm pretty sure I know what Nav Traffic would reflect in DC anyway (stay off the beltway, stay off 66...in fact, just stay home).

The advanced key is wildly cool. I can see myself never taking my key out of my briefcase. It is also tied to seat memory, so you can have the car prep itself for you when you open the door (I don't know if this extends to the MMI functions as well).

Most everything on the car seemed to be customizable through MMI--climate control, seat heaters, lights, phone interface, service indicators, etc. All in all, a very good implementation.

Can anybody comment on real-world experience with these functions, or on experience with the tire pressure monitoring system?
Old 11-29-2004, 05:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Default I really wish I had the advanced key

It is an outstanding advance in convenience. I was thinking about it this weekend as I would return to my (locked) car carrying packages, my glasses, my phone, etc. It would be great to just walk up to the car, lift the hande, get in and go.

The MMI/radio interface is really robust. I haven't quite figured out how I want to set it up yet. I love XM radio--it is getting more entertaining as I'm starting to get to know some of the stations.

The Nav has some quirks and takes some time to learn (the finesse parts of it anyway)
Old 11-30-2004, 11:18 AM

Default Why wouldn't we want XM Nav Traffic??

Did the salesman make any specific comments about the XM Nav Traffic other than just saying you don't want it? That sounds like a sales-pitch to me. While the Audi's styling beats the RL hands down, the real-time traffic info. on the Nav. screen is a huge advantage for Acura. Any likelihood that this feature will be added to Audi cars??
Old 11-30-2004, 11:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: Why wouldn't we want XM Nav Traffic??

He didn't really give a reason, and I'm relatively certain he knew he was past the sales pitch stage (I had already made it explicitly clear that, unless he was totally unreaonable in negotiations, I'm getting an A6). As I said, it's pretty worthless to me in DC, since I already know what traffic is going to look like. Also, I spent some time in Acura forums when I was trying to decide b/w the two cars, and there are a number of comments that the traffic has simply stopped working.
Old 11-30-2004, 12:33 PM

A family member has the new RL in the NYC area. She hasn't used it much- prefers to tune the XM station with verbal traffic for her needs.

I'm sure as it progresses it will be a nice feature- cool how the traffic in front of the car on Rt 46 was blinking a few nights ago to signal congestion.

Anyway......the TL is supposed to get a software upgrade next year to enable current TL owners to use XM traffic. My guess is that it is likely that would be possible for the A6. Quite frankly, I don't see this is a "major" advantage the RL has over the A6.

If you want to talk about so-called "advantages", reference the superior Nav system in general, a better sound system, and projected better reliability.

I'll take my better-looking, tested Quattro, more fun to drive, and certainly more luxurious A6. All taste, my friends.
Old 11-30-2004, 01:42 PM

I don't disagree that the styling of the A6 is superior, and that it is more luxurious than the Acura. I'm in the L.A. area, though, and real-time traffic data in this area would be very helpful since we have many alternate routes (freeways, toll roads, and surface streets) available. It's often a crap shoot deciding which road to take. Real time traffic data gives you a sense of how freeways are actually moving, not just where an accident is. That can make a huge difference. I often find myself checking on-line traffic maps at work or home before heading out. It would be handy to have access to that in my car. Other than that use, I frankly think a Navigation system is largely useless. I'm perfectly comfortable with good, old fashioned Maps.

One other point, is that the Acura RL's sound system is getting extremely high marks for sound quality -- better than the A6 Bose system, which doesn't even accept MP3s yet (let alone DVD Audio...).

All said, I'm still leaning towards the Audi for the overall styling and driving experience. I just wish they would take a couple more steps forward on the tech side to keep up with the competition.
Old 11-30-2004, 02:18 PM

Yeah, Audi is WAY behind in terms of stereo. One thing I've always hated in my Audi's, by the way, is total lack of quality reception- AM in particular. XM will solve some of that, but the surround systems in many new luxury cars simply blow Audi awaym in terms of sound.

I'm not really an audiophile, so I can live with simply "good" sounding systems.
Old 11-30-2004, 04:57 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree, I can't see why any new car nowadays would be created WITHOUT MP3 capability. It is worth more than a 6 disc CD changer IMO.

As to the nav, I like it. Though I don't use it much, when I do need directions, I much prefer to just follow the voice (or arrows) and watch the road, rather than look down at a map or get into an argument with my wife over missing street signs.
Old 12-01-2004, 05:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

The lack of an MP3 or DVD-A stereo does sort of upset me. However, I can't see myself turning satellite radio off often enough to make a big deal out of it.
Old 12-01-2004, 08:18 AM

My A6 plays the iTunes formatted CDs just fine. I wonder why it won't play MP3s?

Quick Reply: The New A6 for Techno-Geeks