A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

New to me 2011 a6 avant... What now?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2015, 10:29 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to me 2011 a6 avant... What now?

What's up? First post with my new car. Had a a4 sedan, but a recent baby and my wife and me being 6 feet tall or more necessitated a new ride. Found a beautiful light silver 2011 a6 avant 3.0t, premium plus package, light grey interior. 53,000 miles.

Fits us great, tons of space. Little bit of oomph when I want it, and for my long commute it makes things more comfy.

I can't say I'm a crazy car guy. But what the heck, it'd be fun to get 30 more horses. I've heard mixed reviews from ecu upgrades and supercharger pulleys. I need reliability. Any ideas on what to do?

Suspension and wheels will be done in the next 6 months.
Old 12-24-2015, 02:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 202 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by El duderino
What's up? First post with my new car. Had a a4 sedan, but a recent baby and my wife and me being 6 feet tall or more necessitated a new ride. Found a beautiful light silver 2011 a6 avant 3.0t, premium plus package, light grey interior. 53,000 miles.

Fits us great, tons of space. Little bit of oomph when I want it, and for my long commute it makes things more comfy.

I can't say I'm a crazy car guy. But what the heck, it'd be fun to get 30 more horses. I've heard mixed reviews from ecu upgrades and supercharger pulleys. I need reliability. Any ideas on what to do?

An APR tune in the 3.0t engine is a no brainer and will unleash a lot more power. Haven't heard much negative about it, but have heard a lot of positive. Other than that, just make sure you perform the normal maintenance and enjoy the car. The 3.0t avant are somewhat rare and have a loyal following. Welcome to Audi world.
Old 12-28-2015, 07:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got my Audi A6 in September and just did the 115K mile service. After I changed the engine air filter and cleaned the snow screen, and replaced the spark plugs, (all were due at 115K) the car felt like it had more power.

Since you might not know the service history, those were somewhat easy items to do. This thread details it all: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-.../#post23839229
Old 01-03-2016, 03:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by El duderino

Most of the people happy with 3.0T performance. Maybe you can improve it by doing the maintanance.
Also have you tried to use Sport mode in the transmission?

Bigger wheels will make performance of the car worst not better because bigger wheels increase mass of the wheels (a.k.a. unstrung mass). You can improve the performance by getting dedicated summer and winter tires.
Changing suspension likely will change the geometry and make your tires last less. Also if you put the lowering springs from sedan on the Avant likely you will end up with unreasonably low rear (since back of Avant is heavier). It will result at even worst tire wear, strain on the brake hoses and uncomfortable ride.
Here is what happened to the brake hose on my old Avant after i put shorter springs designed for sedan: Audi Picture by beep-beep | 1019648 | AudiWorld.com Failed brake hoses is not what you new family needs.

Last edited by beep-beep; 01-03-2016 at 03:37 PM.
Old 01-04-2016, 03:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Make sure the driver's rear drain is intact, and/or replaced. If not you'll potentially be fixing an amplifier (which takes out the whole MMI) after the next significant moisture event. You should be good with a 2011MY, but double check your build date for the plastic water pump impeller. Carfax actually had mine as being replaced already, so that could be another resource.

Up to you as this seems to be a debated topic, but I did a trans fluid drain/fill + filter.

Suspension geometry, unless radically altered, should be remedied with a new alignment at a competent shop and won't wear tires any worse than stock (except for the spirited driving it might encourage). Not sure what happened to yours beep-beep.

A tune will let you get back the boost the supercharger is already capable of making, and the bottom end is clearly stout enough to handle it. Shrinking the pulley size spins the blower faster. I can't recall if that debate was ever settled about what speed was 'safe' to spin the blower itself. Also, unless you keep your foot out of it - more HP = more gas.

Sounds like you have a sister car to mine...enjoy!