A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

New owner - valet key (feel free to call me an idiot)

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 02:45 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New owner - valet key (feel free to call me an idiot)

Hi,

Proud new owner of a 2006 A6 that only came with 1 Smartkey, plus the included 'valet' key (and that plastic 'wallet' key).

The valet key locks/unlocks the doors fine, but does absolutely nothing when you put it in the ignition and turn it (no interior lights come on, nothing). Same for the 'wallet' plastic key.

These keys are supposed to *start* the car without having the smart key with you, right?? Anyone have ideas why they do not, is there some disabling mechanism that needs to be reset or ?

Thanks in advance
Old 09-08-2009, 02:54 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

There is a 'Valet' button on the dash. Try pressing that and then trying the valet key.

On the key note, when I bought this car, I only got the two main keys - no valet or smart key. I can understand what I am missing without having the valet key; but what do I miss with the other 'smart' key?

Originally Posted by SilverisFaster
Hi,

Proud new owner of a 2006 A6 that only came with 1 Smartkey, plus the included 'valet' key (and that plastic 'wallet' key).

The valet key locks/unlocks the doors fine, but does absolutely nothing when you put it in the ignition and turn it (no interior lights come on, nothing). Same for the 'wallet' plastic key.

These keys are supposed to *start* the car without having the smart key with you, right?? Anyone have ideas why they do not, is there some disabling mechanism that needs to be reset or ?

Thanks in advance
Old 09-09-2009, 05:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yeah thanks - tried the Valet button before but it made no difference for starting the car
Old 09-09-2009, 09:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where is this "valet" button you are referring to?
Old 09-09-2009, 09:41 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Valet Key

At one point the keys must have been reprogrammed without the valet key... The valet button functions as this. With the "smart key" or the main key (whatever you want to call it)in the ignition, depress the valet button. Now when the valet attendant takes your "valet" key - he / she will no longer be able to open the glove box nor the trunck. If you have the push button start like I do, just make sure to turn it off before the valet takes off - they won't be able to turn off the car otherwise and will have to come looking for you at whatever venue you are at. Hope this helps - there is a much better explenation in the owners manual as well
Old 09-09-2009, 09:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Personally, I'd never let a Valet park anything..I don't care how shi-shi the restarant or hotel. If you purchased the car from an Audi dealer and the key doesn't work take it back and get one cut.

Am_ver: From what I understand, not having a second smart key is fairly normal. The key ID is tied to your VIN and registered owner ID, it's a PITA to lose it but that's what I had to do with another car I own..all done via the dealer.
Old 09-10-2009, 02:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 916 Likes on 749 Posts

Originally Posted by swhite63
Where is this "valet" button you are referring to?
There is no valet button on the 05.
Old 09-10-2009, 01:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

I just checked my keys: All keys, including the valet, and the plastic emergency key start the car when inserted into the ignition switch and turned. I would bring the car back along with the keys to the dealer that sold it to you (assuming it was a dealer) and have them rectify the situation.