A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

New problem, my car vibrates as gears change

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2010, 04:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New problem, my car vibrates as gears change

I have noticed this problem for a couple times but yesterday was the worse. I had the car parking outside all night in cold weather. Everything started fine in the morning. However, as I was driving, I notice the car shake as the gear changes (mostly between 3-4 and 5-6) under light throttle. When I drive the car a bit harder (just a bit more than just normall local cruising), the vibration/stutters seems to be gone a bit. Have anyone else experience this? I can't pull any codes, no MIL however, my device won't able to access 4WD electronics nor Transmission control at all (granted that I don't have the offical VAG tool people talked about).
Thanks & Merry Christmas to all!!!

PS: I went through my panic attack and called Audi dealer to get the car in but my service man wasn't in today. I have to make a 150miles trip and was thinking about taking the other car but I'm now taking the A6 just to monitor the problem a bit more to see what happens. I truly hope this is just a software issue rather than some Torque converter or crappy tranny issue.
Old 12-23-2010, 09:35 AM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

Does it feel like the vibration is coming from anywhere in particular? The steering wheel, pedals, etc? How was the weather when it was sitting outside, is there any snow or ice buildup anywhere on the vehicle?
Phone: 1.800.924.5172 - Sales: 8:30am to MIDNIGHT EST | Customer Service 8:30am - 8pm EST
Questions? PM us for a quick response! | Email: Pete@ecstuning.com
Old 12-23-2010, 09:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

did vibration went away after transmission/engine warmed up?
did you look at you revs when gears were shifting (did revs went up between gears or throttle worked correctly)
I know that audi had this environment-first aproach when it made transmission shift differently in cold temperature to allow catalitic converter warm up faster. maybe it was it.
Old 12-23-2010, 11:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by BlueSander
I have noticed this problem for a couple times but yesterday was the worse. I had the car parking outside all night in cold weather. Everything started fine in the morning. However, as I was driving, I notice the car shake as the gear changes (mostly between 3-4 and 5-6) under light throttle. When I drive the car a bit harder (just a bit more than just normall local cruising), the vibration/stutters seems to be gone a bit. Have anyone else experience this? I can't pull any codes, no MIL however, my device won't able to access 4WD electronics nor Transmission control at all (granted that I don't have the offical VAG tool people talked about).
Thanks & Merry Christmas to all!!!

PS: I went through my panic attack and called Audi dealer to get the car in but my service man wasn't in today. I have to make a 150miles trip and was thinking about taking the other car but I'm now taking the A6 just to monitor the problem a bit more to see what happens. I truly hope this is just a software issue rather than some Torque converter or crappy tranny issue.
I think there is a bulletin on this...

L
Old 12-24-2010, 02:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 925 Likes on 757 Posts

Originally Posted by Leeladisky
I think there is a bulletin on this...

L
Here it is:

http://uberlame.com/a6_tsb/Transmiss...ween%203-4.pdf
Old 12-24-2010, 11:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thanks guys. To answer some of the questions:
- It's not the steering wheel, gas petal, brake pedal that shakes. It's the whole car, and I feel it's causing by the powertrain.
- I drove to NJ yesterday and as I notice, it's not during gear shift. It usually take places when I gives the car more gas (hence going up hill is the easiest way to replicate the problems). It does happen on flat road too and I don't have any explaination for that. It also takes place when there isn't a gear change hence why I concluded prob not the tranny.
Old 12-24-2010, 12:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I found this post: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2754700

Same prob like mine except this thing take place while the car is up to operating temp + never seen it while the car is cold. Also, in my case, going up hill or flat surface, nothing really while going down hill. 3k is expected est. 900 for part.

Also, my car doesn't have any MIL on. Quite strange!

Last edited by BlueSander; 12-24-2010 at 12:10 PM.
Old 12-07-2022, 09:22 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by BlueSander
I found this post: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2754700

Same prob like mine except this thing take place while the car is up to operating temp + never seen it while the car is cold. Also, in my case, going up hill or flat surface, nothing really while going down hill. 3k is expected est. 900 for part.

Also, my car doesn't have any MIL on. Quite strange!

So what was the problem?