A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Newbie, 05 4.2 questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 07:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie, 05 4.2 questions

Just purchased an 05 A6 4.2, well optioned, with cold weather and sport packages. Needs a headlight replaced, which is being done as part of the purchase. 126k miles, no rattles, seems extremely clean and well taken care of.

No current codes (other than headlight), as per my scan with the Ross-Tech VAG-COM package, and a previous code indicating that the brake switch may have an intermittent problem, which seems easy to DIY-fix.

I've got two issues which I'm hoping someone on the forums here may have some insight on: First, the NAV system says 'Not installed', which I'm guessing is due to the need for a DVD update(?) Is there a source for a copy of an older DVD somewhere that's burnable? Not that I'm opposed to paying, but I'd like to know if it's a halfway decent NAV system before plunking down $ for a new DVD.

Second, the one problem I've noticed is that the passenger side rear door does not reliably unlock with the remote. Has anyone had a similar problem, or, has anyone had to replace a door lock unit?

Thanks,

Darryl
Old 08-24-2011, 08:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Are you sure the car has Nav? One way to know is if you have the Nav DVD played in the trunk (left side inside the panel)
Old 08-24-2011, 08:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default DVD Unit Confirmation

Originally Posted by ProtoFly
Just purchased an 05 A6 4.2, well optioned, with cold weather and sport packages. Needs a headlight replaced, which is being done as part of the purchase. 126k miles, no rattles, seems extremely clean and well taken care of.

No current codes (other than headlight), as per my scan with the Ross-Tech VAG-COM package, and a previous code indicating that the brake switch may have an intermittent problem, which seems easy to DIY-fix.

I've got two issues which I'm hoping someone on the forums here may have some insight on: First, the NAV system says 'Not installed', which I'm guessing is due to the need for a DVD update(?) Is there a source for a copy of an older DVD somewhere that's burnable? Not that I'm opposed to paying, but I'd like to know if it's a halfway decent NAV system before plunking down $ for a new DVD.

Second, the one problem I've noticed is that the passenger side rear door does not reliably unlock with the remote. Has anyone had a similar problem, or, has anyone had to replace a door lock unit?

Thanks,

Darryl
Darryl, first of all congratulations on your new purchase! The 2005 A6/C6 is a wonderful vehicle. To confirm if you are just missing the DVD disk itself and not the whole DVD Navigation unit, see the picture shown below.
Go into the trunk and remove the cover on the left side of the car. If it looks like this picture then you have a DVD Nav unit and you are just missing the DVD disk.
As for the functionality of the unit compared to today's technology, it has several short comings and for the money there are a lot better portable systems that will do the job nicely for about the same cost as the DVD disk itself.
If you want to keep the system pure and go with the Audi Navigation system, it is adequate for most using the latest Version 11 release. All the best and welcome to the club!

The DVD Nav unit is the one on the bottom of the equipment rack shown below.
<O

Last edited by a6sline06; 08-24-2011 at 09:08 AM.
Old 08-24-2011, 09:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks very much for the picture (worth a thousand words, as they say). No, I do not have the DVD drive back there, so no Nav for me. While I like the idea of an integrated system, my iPhone does the job when I actually need navigation, and looking at the price of used units, I could buy several dedicated navigation devices!

So, it appears that the only thing to resolve is my rear door lock issue, which could be as simple as a loose wire, I suppose, but then I'd imagine that the VAG-COM scan probably would have picked that up.

On my list to do are full fluid change, yes, including the transmission (as soon as I can figure out what exact fluid it should be...)

Thanks again,

Darryl

Originally Posted by a6sline06
Darryl, first of all congratulations on your new purchase! The 2005 A6/C6 is a wonderful vehicle. To confirm if you are just missing the DVD disk itself and not the whole DVD Navigation unit, see that attached picture.
Go into the trunk and remove the cover on the left side of the car. If it looks like this picture then you have a DVD Nav unit and you are just missing the DVD disk.
As for the functionality of the unit compared to today's technology, it has several short comings and for the money there are a lot better portable systems that will do the job nicely for about the same cost as the DVD disk itself.
If you want to keep the system pure and go with the Audi Navigation system, it is adequate for most using the latest Version 11 release. All the best and welcome to the club!

The DVD Nav unit is the one on the bottom of the equipment rack shown below.
<O
Old 08-24-2011, 09:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

OK, next question: How far behind am I on MMI updates?

Old 08-24-2011, 04:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 924 Likes on 756 Posts

OK, next question: How far behind am I on MMI updates?

You have the first generation, aka 7.5

It is a dinosaur. I lived with it back in 05. You will have several blue tooth connectivity issues. You should go for version 33 or higher.
Old 08-25-2011, 06:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by KevinGary
You have the first generation, aka 7.5

It is a dinosaur. I lived with it back in 05. You will have several blue tooth connectivity issues. You should go for version 33 or higher.

Is updating this a DIY thing? If so, any links to the required files/procedures? I do have the Ross-Tech HEX+CAN interface and software, if that makes a difference...

Thanks

Darryl
Old 08-25-2011, 06:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 924 Likes on 756 Posts

Is updating this a DIY thing? If so, any links to the required files/procedures? I do have the Ross-Tech HEX+CAN interface and software, if that makes a difference...

Thanks

Darryl
In my signature there is a link to a TSB library that I set up with DR. Cold. It contains links to TSBs that discuss the procedure for updating the MMI. A few forum members have been succesful in updating the MMI itself. Other forum members have tried to do it and fried the MMI unit. Personally, I had the dealer do it.
Old 08-25-2011, 06:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks Kevin,

I'll call the local dealer and see what they will charge to do all updates to version (??)

I need to get a key made and a remote set up, so if I can combine trips, all the better...

-Darryl

Originally Posted by KevinGary
In my signature there is a link to a TSB library that I set up with DR. Cold. It contains links to TSBs that discuss the procedure for updating the MMI. A few forum members have been succesful in updating the MMI itself. Other forum members have tried to do it and fried the MMI unit. Personally, I had the dealer do it.
Old 08-25-2011, 12:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Dealer charges about 200 for a key fob and key, another 69 for a valet key, but then at least my keys would all be proper.

MMI update: Dealer will do an update for $101.00 (an hour of labor), says there's but one update, so I'm awaiting what version it is.

Seems like if the dealer will do the job, then better to let them take the risk of bricking the MMI unit......

-Darryl

(Oh, if anyone just happens to have iso images of the MMI update CDs, please PM me...)

Quick Reply: Newbie, 05 4.2 questions