A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Noise from upper part of 3.2L engine

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2018, 07:59 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noise from upper part of 3.2L engine

First, let me start by saying I originally thought this sound was due to timing chain guides and tensioners, the noise is awfully similar. Also, don’t tell me to perform a search because I’ve scoured numerous pages of search with no success.
My car is a 2005 Audi A6 3.2l Quattro, Automatic.
After checking cam deviation for potential timing chain slack, the deviation is well within spec ( +-4 ) , and issues begin to occur at +-7.
Sounds like the noise is coming from intake manifold area or upper front part of the engine.
The noise is usually guaranteed on cold start, but still happens after warm starts as well.
The clicking noise eventually goes away after a minute or two, especially after revving at 1700-2000 rpm.

I’m anxious to hear what the Audi World thinks of this unsolved noise.
Old 03-27-2018, 02:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My '06 3.2 has a similar cold start noise.
While it also has an occasional tensioner clatter, for less than a second on cold morning starts(separate issue), once started, for about a minute or so, I'll have a noisy tappet sound that goes away with warm up.
I'm writing it off to an aged hydraulic valve adjuster that, like the sporadic tensioner, leaks down &, eventually, pumps back up with oil flow.
Just my guess.
BTW: My VCDS block 93 readings are ok too, even with that occasional short time cold start tensioner clatter(for now!).

Last edited by LarryJa; 03-27-2018 at 02:54 PM. Reason: Spelling correction
The following users liked this post:
das60 (09-11-2022)
Old 03-30-2018, 02:08 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

@Larryja
Thanks, good to know.
Could you provide more information about the hydraulic valve adjuster? I’m not familiar with this part.
Old 03-30-2018, 08:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Hi, what is it which makes you think it's not the upper chain tensioners, other than the block 93 reading of 4 you mentioned? Do you have a smartphone - why not record a "voice memo" sound clip of a cold start and post it up for opinions...
Old 10-27-2018, 09:53 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hi, I have the same sound just develop on my 05 A6 C6 3.2, it seems to come from the front right top of bank not the rear of the engine as i was expecting if it were tensioners etc? In fact doing the old screw driver to the ear trick the chain/s sound as if they're running smooth as a smooth thing at the back of the bank.
Old 10-29-2018, 05:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Dangermouse007
Hi, I have the same sound just develop on my 05 A6 C6 3.2, it seems to come from the front right top of bank not the rear of the engine as i was expecting if it were tensioners etc? In fact doing the old screw driver to the ear trick the chain/s sound as if they're running smooth as a smooth thing at the back of the bank.
What is the "screwdriver to the ear trick". Do you place the tip of the screwdriver on the timing chain covers and the other end to your ear to hear the timing chain movement? Thanks.
The following users liked this post:
das60 (09-11-2022)
Old 10-29-2018, 03:55 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Yes, just using the screwdriver as a sound director sort of thing, on my car the sound is coming from the front top of the engine not back toward the chain
Old 09-01-2022, 10:50 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

As this is a late thread not sure if you resolved this. I don't see additional information. But I just bought a 108K mile 2006 Avant 3.2L with the same loud noise in the upper manifold area center.

It had some slight noise from the top of the engine when I bought it. It also had a few vacuum lines that were broken I fixed those and as soon as I did (with an oil change) the engine started more of this clacking sound also much louder from that upper intake manifold area. I figured it was the chain tensioners as well. However I just did a trial an error attempt by going backwards from where it was when I first got it.

I backed off the vacuum line on the front that connects to the upper intake manifold and the loud noise went away. So what does that vacuum line control? Also before I did all this I got compression readings from all cylinders bank1 passenger side 270 and bank2 170 driver side.
Thanks-JH
Old 09-01-2022, 11:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 388 Likes on 322 Posts

Originally Posted by Dryrotted
As this is a late thread not sure if you resolved this. I don't see additional information. But I just bought a 108K mile 2006 Avant 3.2L with the same loud noise in the upper manifold area center.

It had some slight noise from the top of the engine when I bought it. It also had a few vacuum lines that were broken I fixed those and as soon as I did (with an oil change) the engine started more of this clacking sound also much louder from that upper intake manifold area. I figured it was the chain tensioners as well. However I just did a trial an error attempt by going backwards from where it was when I first got it.

I backed off the vacuum line on the front that connects to the upper intake manifold and the loud noise went away. So what does that vacuum line control? Also before I did all this I got compression readings from all cylinders bank1 passenger side 270 and bank2 170 driver side.
Thanks-JH
It's the EVAP canister purge valve that is about to die. Replace it before you get stranded in the middle of nowhere. It sits on top of the upper intake manifold. Watch my video below for more info:

Old 09-01-2022, 11:12 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

You are kidding me! I watch your videos all the time. How Forums like this bring people together from 1000 of miles away!
Thanks-JH

Quick Reply: Noise from upper part of 3.2L engine