A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Non Quattro experience........

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 05:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Non Quattro experience........

A few years ago I spend a few weeks in Quebec City and noticed that because of the high prices of things very few had all wheel drive and got by just fine on snow tires on front wheel drive cars. In europe, there are very few AWD also. It got me to thinking how we in the States can afford such luxuries like great vehicles that can combat mother nature.

But there are lots of places with bad weather and these folks are getting by just fine without technology that costs a fair amount and drives up operating costs.

Audi builds premium vehicles and Quattro is a great system. But the build quite a lot of CVT front wheel drive cars both here and abroad.

I know most of you with quattro would never dare to be without it in Florida and southern california! I understand those in the snow states feel if they can afford it, why the hell not, but for most front wheel drive with blizzaks might even be better then quattro with all season tires!

I wondering if anyone has driven the fronttrack A6's and what they thought of it?

If gas prices spike up again this could become important again.
Old 04-02-2009, 07:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I myself have never seen a Front wheel drive A6, however, I can tell you that Audi front wheel drive vehicles handle very well in snow. Based on what i'm telling you? My friend owns an A4 convertible and we live in New England area. That car has a nice design, excellent handle in snow. The only bad thing about it is the back seat. I always end up with backache after every CT-Boston trip in his car.
Old 04-02-2009, 07:29 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I Live in the Boston area and would never buy a car without AWD because of my daily commute to work. I'm looking to pickup a CPO 2006 or 2007 A6 3.2 and I've been looking at dealers in MA, NH, RI and CT and I've yet to see a single CVT A6.

From a gas mileage perspective between a AWD and CVT A6 3.2 the difference is only going to be a few mpg difference and the biggest difference will be in city driving.

Keep in mind all snow tires do is provide traction which helps in stopping and accelerating. Quattro adds the ability to move power side to side and front to rear which adds stability and moves power around in slippery conditions which is something snow tires can't do. I'd say, if you live in a place that is 80% non snow then I'd go for a CVT but if you're in a place that gets snow for several months a year I'd only go with Quattro.
Old 04-02-2009, 08:50 AM
Cat Herder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would run away from a C6 CVT as fast as you can based on the TSBs and posts in this forum and elsewhere.
Old 04-02-2009, 09:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by pierreb
I would run away from a C6 CVT as fast as you can based on the TSBs and posts in this forum and elsewhere.
Can you give some reasons?? Is it that much worse than Quattro? Performance issues? Transmission? Its the same car execept no power to the rear and transmission.

There are enough horror stories about all german premium cars to scare anyone.

I live in NorthCarolina in an urban environment. If I lived in Boston I think I would have it also. Or course, look around and see plenty of cars don't have it.

Personally I would rather have a MT A6 but I like having a back seat so A4 won't do. New A4 is very nice, but I am intrigued by come A6's without quattro with less than 20k on them selling for about 22k.
Old 04-02-2009, 09:50 AM
Cat Herder

like I said, plenty of issues in this forum. everyone i know that owns an Audi CVT hates it. Tons of TSBs published for problems with the transmission.

hey if you like the car enough to buy one, go nuts. I wouldn't, but I'm just some guy on the internet
Old 04-02-2009, 09:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

the acceleration curve on the CVT is annoying and boring. Drive them when I get loaners for service and it sucks big time.
Old 04-02-2009, 11:41 AM

Default I will contradict here ...

I'm driving C6 CVT Front wheel drive for almost three years in heavy winter snows in Ukraine and never have had a single issue with getting through the streets, unintended drifts etc. You just get good Nokian winter tyres and forget about the fact you are driving in snow, not on asphalt. I've driven Allroad Quattro a lot to compare and believe me, for city commute FWD with winter tyres is just enough. It was not a question of additional US$3Ks, the choice was based on my preference.

If you don't like the acceleration curve, you just switch it to S, and it is not any different from conventional Hydraulic auto transmission.
Old 04-02-2009, 01:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

My two cents on the whole FWD vs quattro debate.

I currently own a FWD 2.0T VW Passat. I am not 18 (or 28 or 38) anymore, and I don't drive like a manic, i.e. no tire burning starts, no racing, no turns taken at full speed.

It's a great car, but I manage to spin the wheels on this thing way too often (same on a RWD Miata I drive sometimes), especially in turns. I live in TX, no need for quattro here 99.9% of the time. My next car wll be a quattro (or other AWD) again, because I can't stand the fact that I spin out (on the Passat even if I start in 2nd gear) from too much power on the front wheels.

The gas mileage is a consideration, but my A6 3.2 quattro got 30 mpg highway often, at speeds around ~75 mph. AWD is not a necessity, but to me it adds comfort and safety, and it's one of the reasons why I like Audis, and not Lexus, BMW or Mercedes-Benz.

My 2 cents - and there is nothing wrong with FWD. Most people chose FWD because they save a few thousand $ over quattro and because of better gas mileage - nothing wrong with that ...
Old 04-02-2009, 06:58 PM
Cat Herder

nothing wrong with FWD. many things wrong with audi's CVT.

Quick Reply: Non Quattro experience........