A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

OEM Wheels/Tires for Winter

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 07:43 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OEM Wheels/Tires for Winter

Don't know if this should be posted here, but I need some thoughts about tires for the winter. Guess I'll try since it's for the S6.

Current setup, stock tires (Continental ContiSportContact) and wondering if I should get another set of stock wheels with winter tires. Winter has been mild these few years, but I don't want to get caught without traction. Since it's AWD will I experience issues or would I simply need to be lighter with the right foot?

Also, anyone now how heavy the stock wheels are?
Old 08-03-2009, 03:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I picked up a set of 18 inch wheels and used 245/45/18 Conti snows. A little bit narrower than the 19's and work very well in the snow.
Think about it - all you have to do is slide off the road once or into the rear of another car and it will cost more than a set of wheels and snows.
Old 08-03-2009, 04:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Go with winter wheels and tires. Summer tires like the OEM Conti's are like hockey pucks in the winter. AWD is great for traction moving forward, but does nothing for you when stopping - and THAT'S where the issue lies... all it takes is one slide, and you'll be regretting not getting them.

More info:

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2752989
Old 08-03-2009, 07:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Same Q for my 07 A6 4.2... seems like I should go with 17s for the narrower/smaller = better traction in snow issue.

Any reccos on wheels? I think I'm going with Blizzaks for the tire based on Tire Rack reviews and also friend's experiences with them.

Stupid Q... is one 17" rim a "one size fits all" proposition or ???

what tire size would I use on that 17" rim?

I know almost nothing about tires/rims to be honest...
Old 08-04-2009, 03:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

An excellent topic. I'm about to relocate to upstate NY and have the same concerns.

Does anyone know if Audi offers a setup specifically for winter?
Old 08-04-2009, 04:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Tire rack has good info, a good selection, and good prices on winter packages. You can find everything you need to know on their website. If you want to stay with OEM, Audi has winter packages that they offer seasonally - prices are actually pretty good, too. Search the internet for your best price when it's offered, sometimes it's cheaper WITH shipping than your local stealership, and / or sometimes you can negotiate a better price with the parts department. I used to negotiate parts pricing with my GMC parts manager using internet printouts.

As an FYI regarding winter tires, I run winter tires on my GMC YukonXL. I have not found a NEED to put it in 4WD for the past 8 years that I have had it, whatever the snow depth is. I do put it in 4WD from time to time to exercise the system, and to have fun with it. So, my opinion is winter tires FTW.
Old 08-04-2009, 06:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

$3K is a "good" price for winter tires/wheels?

Really?

I was thinking more like $1,200....
Old 08-04-2009, 06:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Pete_In_NH
$3K is a "good" price for winter tires/wheels?

Really?

I was thinking more like $1,200....
Depends on size and quality of wheels. $ 1200 is something I would expect for my Civic in a 15" size. Don't forget that for our cars, quality is important because of the heavy weight - XL rated wheels and tires are required for the S6 ( not sure about the A6). Inexpensive rims = bending / fracture at the first large pothole you hit. Under $2k can be had at the Tirerack.

Side note - you can always go with takeoffs on eBay or the classifieds for the wheels, and jsut add the winter tires, if you are comfortable with that. The rims on my YukonXL were Escalade take-offs off of eBay, which I added the winter tires on.
Old 08-04-2009, 07:26 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Lemeux
Don't know if this should be posted here, but I need some thoughts about tires for the winter. Guess I'll try since it's for the S6.

Current setup, stock tires (Continental ContiSportContact) and wondering if I should get another set of stock wheels with winter tires. Winter has been mild these few years, but I don't want to get caught without traction. Since it's AWD will I experience issues or would I simply need to be lighter with the right foot?

Also, anyone now how heavy the stock wheels are?
Suggest ordering wheels from Hartmann, and I think they will be happy to mount and balance any tires you like (probably get them from Tire Rack, I like the Dunlop WinterSport 3Ds). For winters maybe get a rim one inch smaller than your summer rims.
Old 08-04-2009, 07:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

What about offset? Given the profile of the S6, would this be an issue?

I was initially thinking RS6 style wheels like these on evilbay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/18-Au...Q5fAccessories

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Quick Reply: OEM Wheels/Tires for Winter