A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Passenger Airbag Light Annoyance - FIX!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 11:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Passenger Airbag Light Annoyance - FIX!!!

Well, sort of... for those of you who are as annoyed as I am that the "passenger airbag off" light is so bright and YELLOW and in a car who's interior is predominantly illuminated red, then I have a fix... well, sort of. And the good news is that this fix does NOT involve electrical tape, removal of the bulb or any other hokey and possibly dangerous modification.

I will post pics to prove the result when I have my cam phone available, however, here's what I did:

1) Purchased a fine point, Sharpee marker.
2) The good folks at Audi designed the airbag indicator light with a very slightly recessed yellow writing. This allows for the fine point of the Sharpee to fit into the grove of the yellow writing without ANY problem.
3) With a steady hand, although this isn't difficult because it's like tracing a perforation, use the sharpee to "color in" the writing. This is a time consuming process because the Sharpee ink doesn't completely cover the yellow writing and will actually rub itself off until it dries.
4) Use short, paint like strokes and go over all the letters. This may require 2-3 "coats" of ink.

WARNING: Do not attempt to color in the entire light (i.e., the area outside of the lettering) as the Sharpee ink reflects slightly purple and looks terrible against the rest of the panels. Additionally, if you screw up and slip, the ink will REALLY show up against the black of the buton, so quickly use some saliva to remove the excess ink before it dries.

The end result actually DRAMATICALLY reduces the yellow light output but doesn't eliminate it, so you can still see any warning indicator.

This is the same process I use in friends media rooms to block or reduce light output from electronic equipment that is reflected off projection screens.

Hope this helps and will post pictures later.
Old 10-04-2010, 01:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

I was about to ask the same question and expected to go with 'electric tape' solution.
The yellow indicator is enoing and meaningless. I wish audi would keep tradition of using red only lighting. new design looks a bit over the top.

thanks for the post.
Old 10-04-2010, 01:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Just go to your local tint shop and ask them for some scraps. You can tint it with limo tint. I tinted with 20% on my 05 C6 and it came out nice. Still need to do it on my current C6.
Old 10-04-2010, 02:39 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

While we're on (near?) the subject, what about the annoying seatbelt ding that goes on-and-on for 5 minutes when you come home from the grocery store, and chose to put the bag with a big roast and a gallon of milk on the passenger seat...?

Is VAG my only option?

And what about the annoying bing that occurs every time I park and shut down my '07 (push start) car and then open the door? (yes, the lights are off) Don't zee Germans know my kid is asleep in the back seat? grrrr...

Is VAG my only option?

(thank you for reading my tirade)
Old 10-04-2010, 03:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by capjones
While we're on (near?) the subject, what about the annoying seatbelt ding that goes on-and-on for 5 minutes when you come home from the grocery store, and chose to put the bag with a big roast and a gallon of milk on the passenger seat...?

Is VAG my only option?

And what about the annoying bing that occurs every time I park and shut down my '07 (push start) car and then open the door? (yes, the lights are off) Don't zee Germans know my kid is asleep in the back seat? grrrr...

Is VAG my only option?

(thank you for reading my tirade)
I think VAG is your only option for the seatbelt chime... Not sure if there is a volume control in VAG for the other alerts.
Old 10-04-2010, 03:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Pic with warning off...
Attached Images  
Old 10-04-2010, 03:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Warning on....
Attached Images  
Old 10-04-2010, 08:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Off topic but...

Originally Posted by Leeladisky
Warning on....
whats the LED light where the blank used to be for?
Old 10-05-2010, 09:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

[QUOTE=fe342185;24041963]whats the LED light where the blank used to be for?[/QUOTE

A laser radar system....

Lee
Old 10-05-2010, 12:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

[quote=Leeladisky;24042207]
Originally Posted by fe342185
whats the LED light where the blank used to be for?[/QUOTE

A laser radar system....

Lee
Cool. I did the same thing except mine has the mute button also. I hate seeing blank switches.

Quick Reply: Passenger Airbag Light Annoyance - FIX!!!