A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Passenger Airbag Light Annoyance - FIX!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 04:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hate the yellow light too, has anyone removed it to see if there is access to the led? I am leaning more into replacing the yellow led with a red one if possible. The sharpie does its job and it is not bad but I don't want to do that to my car.
Old 10-06-2010, 07:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Uh, I guess I don't have to keep the 200 lb. sack of potatoes on the front passenger seat any more thanks to your fix. Good stuff!
Old 10-06-2010, 09:56 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by irenesbob
Uh, I guess I don't have to keep the 200 lb. sack of potatoes on the front passenger seat any more thanks to your fix. Good stuff!
... as long as I also do up the seatbelt. =)
Old 10-06-2010, 03:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by irenesbob
I got tired of that, too. Kept leaving dents in the seatfoam. Lol
Old 01-31-2012, 09:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Leeladisky
Well, sort of... for those of you who are as annoyed as I am that the "passenger airbag off" light is so bright and YELLOW and in a car who's interior is predominantly illuminated red, then I have a fix... well, sort of. And the good news is that this fix does NOT involve electrical tape, removal of the bulb or any other hokey and possibly dangerous modification.

I will post pics to prove the result when I have my cam phone available, however, here's what I did:

1) Purchased a fine point, Sharpee marker.
2) The good folks at Audi designed the airbag indicator light with a very slightly recessed yellow writing. This allows for the fine point of the Sharpee to fit into the grove of the yellow writing without ANY problem.
3) With a steady hand, although this isn't difficult because it's like tracing a perforation, use the sharpee to "color in" the writing. This is a time consuming process because the Sharpee ink doesn't completely cover the yellow writing and will actually rub itself off until it dries.
4) Use short, paint like strokes and go over all the letters. This may require 2-3 "coats" of ink.

WARNING: Do not attempt to color in the entire light (i.e., the area outside of the lettering) as the Sharpee ink reflects slightly purple and looks terrible against the rest of the panels. Additionally, if you screw up and slip, the ink will REALLY show up against the black of the buton, so quickly use some saliva to remove the excess ink before it dries.

The end result actually DRAMATICALLY reduces the yellow light output but doesn't eliminate it, so you can still see any warning indicator.

This is the same process I use in friends media rooms to block or reduce light output from electronic equipment that is reflected off projection screens.

Hope this helps and will post pictures later.
Why don't you just turn the airbag on?
Old 01-31-2012, 09:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

You have to have some weight on the passenger seat to turn on the headlight. But then you will need to put the seat belt on to avoid the beeping and the red light on the dash board.

I wonder how many people are upset with this light. It does not bother me at all.
Old 02-03-2012, 07:07 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Haha - before I read this thread I hardly noticed the Passenger Airbag Off warning light at all. And now... it's practically all I can see when I'm driving and annoying the hell out of me. :-)

Is there any way to disable that warning light using VAG? I'm considering getting one and if I can turn off this light all the time using VAG that may just seal the deal for my purchase decision.