A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Performance chips A'hoy

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2005, 07:36 PM
Audiworld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Performance chips A'hoy

No one is talking about chips, what's the deal on them and the 3.2 FSI?
Old 01-18-2005, 07:57 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Check if European tuners like MTM and Abt have done anything.

It's a whole new ball game, so it will probably take a while for anything to be ready for public consumption. In any case normally aspirated chipping usually only brings another 10 to 20hp - usually at the expense of losing some powerband somewhere in the rev range.
Old 01-18-2005, 08:17 PM
Audiworld Senior Member

Default April you never cease to amaze me

So what does that mean " losing some powerband
somewhere in the rev range". Is that the high end or low end? Have you driven one that was chipped? What did that feel like?

Sometimes I suspected some dealers chipped their demos.
Old 01-18-2005, 09:37 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Especially with normally aspirated engines, if you

increase horsepower via chipping, you often lose some low end power. Manufacturers usually place emphasis on driveability and low speed response. By advancing the timing and perhaps increasing fuel delivery, you'll get a little more out of the engine, at the expense of drivability.

Keep in mind that an engine is an air pump. The more air you can get into and out of the engine, and the faster it flows, the more power you can make. The correct air to fuel ratio is around 14 to 1 (called stochiometric ratio). So dumping more fuel into the engine if it can't get enough air molecules, is only going to make it run rich, and not make more power.

Likewise if you fire the sparkplug before the piston has a chance to rise all of the way to the top, you end up with pre-ignition which can damage engine internals by sending shocks waves down the piston, con rods, and crankshaft. Both advancing timing and increasing fuel delivery are common tuning tricks. You can make lots of power by running an engine lean and hot, but run great risk of melting pistons, etc.

FSI creates a very fine fuel spray and precise metering to make sure that all the fuel molecules find enough air molecules for the optimum consistent mixture. Bettering that programming (in one or more areas) is going to be very complex.

Since FSI is new, there is going to be a learning curve while tuners figure out how to create an acceptable power curve while not destroying the engine. I don't know if I'd want to be first in line for the first generation of software upgrades ;-)

Abt probably has the closest ties to VAG (run some racing programs) insofar as they can get raw data of how the engine is programmed by the factory. However, it all depends on the priorities of the tuner and the people who write the new programs. What they eventually offer, may not be what you're looking for.

I haven't driven a chipped FSI, as I don't think any exist in public hands now. I have driven chipped normally aspirated cars before, and while they are more peppy, you do have to use larger throttle openings and at higher rpms to enjoy the benefits of that programming.
Old 01-19-2005, 07:00 AM
Audiworld Senior Member

great info - thanks
Old 01-19-2005, 07:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default We have a chipped R 32...

THe GIAC with an EIP Intake.. make a noticable difference.