A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Please help a soon to be A6 owner.

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 01:58 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help a soon to be A6 owner.

I’m getting out of my Lexus GS430 and have decided to go with the new 2012 version of the A6. I’m meeting with a dealer to place an order with the options I want and could use some advice on options for sporty versus comfort. I nearly purchased a 2011 Mercedes E550, it’s a really nice car, but I like the tech in the Audis better, I just test drove an A8 (to big for me though) and was really impressed.

I don’t fully understand how the s-line option would change the ride of the car. I would like to error a bit to the side of comfort over sporty, but just a bit. I test drove the Mercedes E350 and liked the car, but it had a rough ride going over bumps at lower speeds. When I got in the E550 with air suspension the ride was much smoother and the car was still plenty sporty feeling for my taste. Based on this would you suggest I go with the air suspension option on the A6 to get the comfortable ride I experienced with the E550?

I’ve read the following from an early review of the new A6:

“Finally, overall body-chassis rigidity is up by 20 percent which does further wonders. Non S-line cars prove better overall for the everyday sportier driver when Audi Drive Select, coupled with hydraulic suspension, is added. The range with this setup from pure comfort and/or new Efficiency mode all the way through Dynamic makes any road situation more than tolerable.”

Could someone interpret that for me? Are they suggesting to go with the air suspension option, and is the Audi Drive Select an option as well?

I appreciate any help you can offer, and please let me know if I should post this in another forum.

Ken
Old 02-11-2011, 05:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I am not sure what kind of suspension package will be available for the 2011 A6, but I can tell you that the Audi air suspension is one of the best. It offers the combination of comfortable and sporty, of course that comes with a big price tag initially and later on with maintenance.
I had a 2008 Lexus GS350, I can tell you that my 2011 A6 ride smoother and handles better than my GS.
Old 02-11-2011, 01:37 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by The G Man
I am not sure what kind of suspension package will be available for the 2011 A6, but I can tell you that the Audi air suspension is one of the best. It offers the combination of comfortable and sporty, of course that comes with a big price tag initially and later on with maintenance.
I had a 2008 Lexus GS350, I can tell you that my 2011 A6 ride smoother and handles better than my GS.
Thanks for the encouraging comments on the air suspension. Do you recall how much that option was on your car?
Old 02-11-2011, 04:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by kwilkins
Thanks for the encouraging comments on the air suspension. Do you recall how much that option was on your car?
The configurator on the AudiUSA website doesn't show the air suspension as being an option on any current versions offered in the U.S., nor do I see it listed on any of the C7 (2012) variants planned for the U.S. release:

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2799983

For what it's worth, I have a 2010 with the 18" sport package (sport suspension) and all-season tires, and find the ride to be a perfect compromise between sportiness and comfort.

Last edited by audi40; 02-11-2011 at 04:17 PM.
Old 02-12-2011, 06:42 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by audi40
For what it's worth, I have a 2010 with the 18" sport package (sport suspension) and all-season tires, and find the ride to be a perfect compromise between sportiness and comfort.
Thanks for your reply and the information.

On your car did the sport package come with air suspension, or is that an option in addition to the sport package? I’m guessing the sport package makes the ride a bit harsher over bumps compared to the non sports model. Did you find this to be the case with your car? I had an extended test drive of a Merc E550 with air suspension and was really impressed with the comfort of the ride and how it handled rough roads. There are many things I like about the 2012 A6 over the E550 and I’ve decided to go with the Audi. Since I’ve never had an Audi, and I can’t test drive a 2012, I’m trying to bring my self up to speed on the various options available.
Old 02-12-2011, 09:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by kwilkins
Thanks for your reply and the information.

On your car did the sport package come with air suspension, or is that an option in addition to the sport package? I’m guessing the sport package makes the ride a bit harsher over bumps compared to the non sports model. Did you find this to be the case with your car? I had an extended test drive of a Merc E550 with air suspension and was really impressed with the comfort of the ride and how it handled rough roads. There are many things I like about the 2012 A6 over the E550 and I’ve decided to go with the Audi. Since I’ve never had an Audi, and I can’t test drive a 2012, I’m trying to bring my self up to speed on the various options available.
Congrats on your decision.

Air suspension was not an option with my '10 sports package, and I don't believe it was an option on ANY trim levels for the A6 that year (not sure about earlier years of the A6 though). Also, as per the link I provided in my previous post, I don't see where the air suspension is an option on any of the 2012 A6's - have you asked a dealer about this?

I wouldn't say the ride is "harsh" in my car, you feel the bumps, but certainly not in an obtrusive way.
Old 02-12-2011, 10:19 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by audi40
Congrats on your decision.

Air suspension was not an option with my '10 sports package, and I don't believe it was an option on ANY trim levels for the A6 that year (not sure about earlier years of the A6 though). Also, as per the link I provided in my previous post, I don't see where the air suspension is an option on any of the 2012 A6's - have you asked a dealer about this?

I wouldn't say the ride is "harsh" in my car, you feel the bumps, but certainly not in an obtrusive way.
I've read a couple of things about air suspension as an option on the 2012. Here is a quote from the insideline first drive review:

"Reducing the mass also benefits ride and handling. The standard steel spring suspension employs a five-link setup, with aluminum control arms at the front and Audi's trapezoidal, multilink design at the rear. Air suspension is an option and so is an S line sport setup that lowers the car by 0.79 inch."